User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

defects on ibook screens?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
defects on ibook screens?
designerguy

2005-05-15, 08:34

Read a bunch of posts on the apple.com site...seems like many many people are having probs with the ibook screens. (white spots, dead pixels, screen dim after a few months of use).

Is anyone having good screen expereinces w/the ibook?
Mister Black

2005-05-15, 13:01

I have a few apple laptops, including the infamous G3 ibook, all of which have great displays. That said my G4 imac has a single stuck pixel that stays green all the time. My advice would be to buy the computer in a store, and make them aware of your concerns with the machine's display. Turn the computer on and look at it before you go home with it. If you take it home and it has a problem you didn't notice at the store, return / exchange it. And the white spots issue, which can develop over time, is covered by the limited warranty as well as applecare. If you're going to buy a laptop, get the extended warranty regardless of the manufacturer.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-05-15, 13:21

And just as a note, *all* laptop and flat panel displays dim with time, as the backlight gradually grows weaker. It's just the nature of the beast, no model is immune, from any manufacturer, with current technology.

Dead pixels are another issue you can't avoid 100%. I've been lucky enough to only have one screen with a couple of stuck pixels, but recognize that no manufacturer is going to have a 100% good pixel guarantee without making you pay through the NOSE.
-m2-

2005-05-17, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by designerguy
Is anyone having good screen expereinces w/the ibook?
No problems here with Oct '03 G4 12" iBook screen. No dead pixels or other defects; I run at about 50% brightness and still get around 4hrs battery life per charge.