PCT October, 2010: Outside the Frame

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
PCT October, 2010: Outside the Frame
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2010-10-20, 05:37

This month's challenge is: Outside the Frame.

We are taught to capture a subject within the frame of our viewfinder, but that frame can also bring meaning and emotion by excluding content too. Anticipation, hope, infinity, and engagement are some of the feelings and reactions this kind of exercise can express. At the same time, having what is in the frame refer compositionally to something off frame is a challenge, both forcing the photographer to choose what they capture more carefully, thinking about both the 2D space of the frame and the 3D depth within it.

Every image will have a story. The photographer may have something specific in mind, or the observer may have their own interpretation of what they see. Feel free to post a story if you wish. You can reveal what is going on outside of the image in words or another picture, but you must use spoiler tags! The photograph must stand on it's own.

This might be overly ambitious, but I hope folks will be motivated to try some new stuff. I know that it will make a great assignment for me personally even though I'm not in the running. I can't wait to see what others here can do!

Good luck and happy shooting!

Can a helpful admin or mod please fix the typo in the title? Thank you!

Last edited by BuonRotto : 2010-10-20 at 14:23. Reason: fixed typos except for the title!
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2010-10-20, 06:38

I love this idea. I'll have to try to remember to actually participate this month.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2010-10-20, 11:25

intriguing... I like it
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2010-10-20, 17:17

Oh, a new topic! Bit confused with the timing though. I thought it was aligned to the start/end of the month.

With the few slow months that we have had is this a short, get out there and shoot your socks off in the next 10 days, or are you running till mid Nov?

Which I suppose would allow for an extended xmas one to run till first week in Jan!?!

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-10-20, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post

[...]

Can a helpful admin or mod please fix the typo in the title? Thank you!
I assumed that "Octiber" was deliberate to stay outside of the frame of the soul-sucking constraints imposed by standardized spelling. Rage on, 'Rotto!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-10-21, 02:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
Oh, a new topic! Bit confused with the timing though. I thought it was aligned to the start/end of the month.

With the few slow months that we have had is this a short, get out there and shoot your socks off in the next 10 days, or are you running till mid Nov?

Which I suppose would allow for an extended xmas one to run till first week in Jan!?!
We had a winner who never picked a topic so the last one started late (mid month), so it just happened to work out that we aren't starting at the beginning of the month anymore. Should still run 30 days from the day of the topic being listed.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2010-10-21, 14:24

Yeah, we'll say the 15th of the month for now, see how contributions roll in. If we need to roll it back more, it can be the October/November PCT.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-10-21, 14:30

Why not just let this one run long and reset to the beginning of the month? ie: Deadline for this would be the end of November....?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-10-21, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Why not just let this one run long and reset to the beginning of the month? ie: Deadline for this would be the end of November....?
I second this motion.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-21, 15:24

I think that's what I said last time, but...
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-10-21, 19:03

My recommendation: Submissions close 5 days before the first of the month; announcement of winner is same day or next day; if by first topic has not been posted by winner, runner up must post a topic, if not topic reverts to some sort of preconceived list and judged by the moderators.

or something to that effect.

This makes sure there isn't a creep of the dates. The topic can revert to a moderator if the preconceived list idea is disliked.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-11-13, 20:16

Let's get this started.....

October 30. Public transit as night was falling. On this way to.....

(Sorry for the focus, but it is what it is.....)

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
AWR
Veteran Member

2010-11-14, 01:14

Hoskets!? Scotiabank.

(Cute in any event)
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-11-14, 08:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR View Post
Hoskets!? Scotiabank.

[...]

Yup!

I did mention this in another thread.

It was the night of the first snow which was melting as it first hit the ground. I'm not fond of fighting the traffic jams out to Scotiabank Place, so we were taking the bus and the pic was taken as we were waiting at the bus stop to catch a ride to the game.

He was disappointed that the Sens were beaten in the game itself...but as we got out of the arena very wet snow had accumulated and we had snowball fights all the way from the bus stop to home. He liked his first live NHL game, but it is the snowball fight that I think that he liked best. The snow has since melted, but the 'real' stuff that stays will be with us soon, no doubt.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.

Last edited by Chinney : 2010-11-14 at 08:26.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2010-11-14, 17:14

Here's my provisional entry:

Love the theme, BuonRotto, even though it sounds like something an architect would dream up.
billybobsky
BANNED

2010-11-21, 00:11

wow it's been a month?!?!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-11-21, 13:38

Here is my entry...I hope it fits the idea of the theme. It's been one of the hardest for me to make creative some how...

Spoiler (click to toggle):
The lion was having a "conversation" with a tiger next door. I think he was helping the tiger understand who was still king. Sadly I only had the lion fact me while roaring once and my camera wasn't ready.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-11-22, 04:34

And here is my entry.

GSpotter
Veteran Member

2010-11-22, 14:53

Here's mine:

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-11-22, 16:53

Another lion pic!

evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2010-11-25, 11:02

I think I've got one but won't be able to upload until saturday or sunday... are we really making the due date 5 days before? I guess in a pinch I might be able to scrounge up an sd card reader at my relatives' houses or something...
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2010-11-29, 12:08

here we go!

taken from the balcony of the newseum in washington DC. "Outside the Frame" refers both to the complete lack of cars (odd for pennsylvania ave), or the trees casting huge shadows across the road (which wouldn't be nearly as distinguishable if there were cars). The cyclist adds some balance and movement to the photo (i think).
Noel

2010-11-29, 14:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan View Post
taken from the balcony of the newseum in washington DC. "Outside the Frame" refers both to the complete lack of cars (odd for pennsylvania ave), or the trees casting huge shadows across the road (which wouldn't be nearly as distinguishable if there were cars). The cyclist adds some balance and movement to the photo (i think).
Dude, when were you there? I was there for most of the day on Saturday. Quite a place!
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2010-11-29, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel View Post
Dude, when were you there? I was there for most of the day on Saturday. Quite a place!
Wednesday, and yeah it's an awesome museum. The pulitzer photo room was stunning (to be somewhat relevant to this thread...) but I think the Katrina exhibit stole the show.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2010-11-30, 14:36

last day?
billybobsky
BANNED

2010-11-30, 23:43

Curse of PCT photo challenge... BuonRotto has gone missing from this site since the 12th... He's still kicking around the internet, so maybe he'll pop his head in tomorrow?
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2010-12-01, 02:09

one can hope...
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2010-12-01, 19:53

I'm not dead yet!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-12-01, 19:58

Can't wait to hear your pick and why. This really was a hard topic for me to envision what you were after.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

2010-12-01, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post

Can't wait to hear your pick and why. This really was a hard topic for me to envision what you were after.
pins and needles! note to self: don't anxiously wait for updates to the Creative Endeavors subforum. something about a watched pot...