Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple claiming the term "Pod"
Shades of Blue

2006-10-04, 12:00

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/53601

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-10-04, 12:05

Please don't start new threads with nothing but a link to an article.

At least quote the article and give some sort of personal feedback besides a smilie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posting Guidelines
Furthermore, threads with no original content will not be allowed. Do not post a link or quote an article while contributing little to nothing of your own.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-10-04, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posting Guidelines
Be descriptive with the title of new threads. Do not start a thread with an ambiguous title like "Guess what..." or "Help!" and then use the text portion of the post to explain. Do not give threads misleading titles in an attempt to gain more views. Give your post a headline. This courtesy is especially appreciated in the more highly trafficked forums. Furthermore, threads with no original content will not be allowed. Do not post a link or quote an article while contributing little to nothing of your own.
Seriously, this is annoying. There's a reason we have a rule for it.

Great link, but can't you contribute more than ""?

[edit]Damn! Beaten by Brad again!

Last edited by Wyatt : 2006-10-04 at 12:07. Reason: Brad is on speed.
Shades of Blue

2006-10-04, 13:05

Sorry. I didn't see the guidelines.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-10-04, 13:11

I love Newport RI by the way. One of the nicest places I've ever been to.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-10-04, 13:13

Funny thing is after hearing that Apple was going over people using the term "Podcast" I actually thought it might be true.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2006-10-04, 14:17

While not going after the word "Podcast" itself, they do want "Pod."

And they're serious.

They've sent out cease and desist letters to a few places, among them, Podcast Ready.

Wired.Com Blog Post

I also thought it was for real, and apparently it is.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-10-04, 15:35

I'm sure I read somewhere a while back that some folks were trying to claim that Podcast stands for Personal On Demand Broad Cast to disassociate podcasts from solely being used on iPods.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-10-04, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
I'm sure I read somewhere a while back that some folks were trying to claim that Podcast stands for Personal On Demand Broad Cast to disassociate podcasts from solely being used on iPods.
Namely Creative.

Quote:
Podcasts, short for Personal On Demand broadcast, is defined in the New Oxford Amercian Dictionary as "a digital recording of a radio broadcast or similar program, made available on the Internet for downloading to a personal audio player".
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-10-04, 23:12

I think it's as silly as General Mills claiming the word "bread" as their own.

Get off of it, Apple.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-10-05, 06:05

Not as ridiculous after you read this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruber
Matt Deatherage figured out what’s going on after reading the full text of Apple’s cease-and-desist letter — it’s not because Podcast Ready was simply using the word “podcast”, it’s because Podcast Ready was attempting to file for their own trademarks on “podcast ready” and “myPod”:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deatherage
Apple hasn’t said word one about tens of thousands of people using the term “podcast,” despite Apple’s “iPod” trademark and its claim on “Pod” as a portable audio player trademark as well. Apple took action against Podcast Ready because the firm, formerly known as Infostructure Solutions, was attempting to trademark the terms “Podcast Ready” and “MyPodder.” That would mean that other companies who wanted to use the term “podcast ready” would have to license it from Infostructure Solutions, even though the term is obviously and admittedly based on Apple’s “iPod” trademark. Apple cannot allow companies to register a variant on “myPod” as a trademark if it’s defending its own “iPod” trademark.
phoenix_gr

2006-10-05, 06:16

Ast3r3x is on the right track, a while back some teenage boy made software, so he started a webiste ending in xxxsoft.com. The xxx part contained his surname (i put xxx because i cantremember his surname, it started with "m") however it sounded a lot like microsoft.com, so microsoft took him to court because of the similarity of the name used in the same industry. So yeah apple going to court over a similarity of "Pod" would not be a first.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-10-05, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_gr View Post
Ast3r3x is on the right track, a while back some teenage boy made software, so he started a webiste ending in xxxsoft.com. The xxx part contained his surname (i put xxx because i cantremember his surname, it started with "m") however it sounded a lot like microsoft.com, so microsoft took him to court because of the similarity of the name used in the same industry. So yeah apple going to court over a similarity of "Pod" would not be a first.
The website you're thinking of is "mikerowesoft.com" I think he eventually settled out of court with Microsoft.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-10-05, 11:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit View Post
The website you're thinking of is "mikerowesoft.com" I think he eventually settled out of court with Microsoft.
And was his real name actually Mike Rowe?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-10-05, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
And was his real name actually Mike Rowe?
Yes.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-10-05, 12:02

No relation to murbot's friend, Mr "Oxlong".
arnoct

2006-10-05, 14:47

Wow, all these posts and nobody's mentioned that it's from the onion, a satirical newspaper?

[edit] If I'm not being clear enough, it's a joke.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-10-06, 00:19

Sure, the Onion had their take on it, but apparently it's a for-real thing.

I didn't know the backstory behind it that Ast3r3x mentioned, either.