AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

2012 Golden Globes

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
2012 Golden Globes
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-01-15, 20:38

SHIT!!!

I've missed the first 30 minutes of the Golden Globes!!! What did I miss?

Ricky just finished saying something about what "you" (the guests) did to make it in Hollywood!!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-01-15, 21:21

I imagine the big "story" tomorrow will be how everyone is all pissed, despite this being his third(?) outing as the host of this thing, and, therefore, anyone hiring him to come back should full well know what they're in for.

Should be fun.

Or not.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-01-15, 21:33

Watching it now. It is all fairly restrained...or maybe there is not much more that he could say that would seem shocking.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-01-15, 22:28

Well I guess that they are on a 30 second delay, because Gervais just had a comment bleeped out. The household speculation here is the comment concerned Salma Hayek's breasts. I would have liked to hear that.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-01-15, 22:41

Watching this reminded me of this quote from Bill Lawrence, creator of Scrubs and Cougar Town, a month or so ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lawrence
The Golden Globes are so insanely ridiculous. I once met with the foreign press for SCRUBS. Felt like I was at a bus stop outside an insane asylum. One of the questions I got (not actually a question): “you should have more Indians on the show”. I said it was a good point, as the medical community is full of Indian physicians. He said, “no, the other kind”. Then he made the vaguely racist ‘woo-woo-woo-woo’ noise kids make when playing cowboys and Indians. a.) True story. b.) He wasn’t trying to be funny. Giant scam awards (unless I get nominated for one again someday, then they’re awesome).
That about sums up my reaction to the Golden Globes. Especially since I haven't heard of most of these movies and TV shows.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Matsu
Veteran Member

2012-01-16, 10:04

I realize I literally don't know what anything on TV is any more. The last English language TV show I really watched was "House". I PVR a few Italian shows for nostalgia, I watch weekend soccer - more of same and more often at my dad's house - and have the TV on a lot, but it's almost always documentary, food network, or the A&E history/science/specials channels, BBC, and even then, I'm surfing or reading and it's on as background noise. I used to watch a fair bit of hockey and basketball and late night, but not any more. I think I now listen to radio more, on all day at work, but surfing is definitely number one as far as my digital/broadcast media consumption goes. My friends with children watch an ungodly amount of tree-house and tele-toon. Their teens watch a lot of TV, but also seem to have their youtube faves... If cable wasn't part of my condo deal, I'd seriously look at other options...

I bring this up only because this is an Apple board, and I wonder if what Jobs really meant in his hints about TV, is that he'd started to "see the cracks." Does the 900 channel, time-shifted, cable universe really work for network TV? I'm sure there are good shows on, but it's just a little too frustrating to find and record/watch them.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-01-16, 17:56

Waiting for the day when most of America decides to junk Hollywood culture / do something else with their time... like read or make something cool or take pictures or have sex. Seriously how did we get to the point of watching a show that covers what is essentially a Hollywood circle-jerk?

File the "Hollwood stars' choices for awards that should go to other Hollywood stars" thing under "who gives a crap?"

Golden Globes, SAG, Oscars... seriously... nothing could be less important in the world we currently are occupying (pun sort of intended).

...into the light of a dark black night.