Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

If you had one last thing to say...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
If you had one last thing to say...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-09-20, 22:47

Randy Pausch is a VR and HCI researcher at CMU. He co-founded the Entertainment Technology Center, and the Alice programming environment.

And he's dying.

Diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, he is now terminal, and has just a few months left, so he gave his last lecture at CMU this past Tuesday. I watched it live, and... I had to just sit and think for a while afterwards.

Just watch it. It's nearly two hours long, from beginning to end, but... it's well worth every second.

“Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams”
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-09-20, 22:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Randy Pausch is a VR and HCI researcher at CMU. He co-founded the Entertainment Technology Center, and the Alice programming environment.

And he's dying.

Diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, he is now terminal, and has just a few months left, so he gave his last lecture at CMU this past Tuesday. I watched it live, and... I had to just sit and think for a while afterwards.

Just watch it. It's nearly two hours long, from beginning to end, but... it's well worth every second.

“Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams”
A close friend of my family passed of that, it is horrible b/c when you know you have it you are already dead I know, and have known many people with cancer, all forms, it is something that is bad and horrible to watch b/c there is nothing you can do about it. if you have hope, and a dive to live that sometimes is the best treatment. your post is very Tuesday with Morrie.
Wrao
Yarp

2007-09-21, 01:40

oh oh I got the first head fake!

Really though, that was interesting to watch. It was interesting because it was general life insight from someone who has been successful and is at the end of his life, but it was especially interesting because the field he has had success in, and the field that he teaches, and the field that he is involved in is very distant from what I am involved in, what I hope to make my successes in, and what I understand. But, despite that, the wisdom he has acquired carries over and means a lot regardless.

Some good quotable material, and the guy had a great stage presence aura(Although the push-ups were a little bit much). I always love going to seminars and lectures from people who have achieved something. Not because I think I will learn how to achieve something myself, but because these people are almost always interesting people to hear and watch, and just in their actions on stage, or in a classroom, you recognize just why they have been able to achieve the things they have achieved, and that is neat.

It is sad that his time is run out, but his attitude towards things was exceptional, I can only hope I have half as much dignity in eleventh hour.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-09-21, 07:56

Thanks Kick,

I struggle for words when presented with somebody who is so open about their unavoidable demise. I can't begin to imagine what it must be like knowing that you had cancer and I am always amazed by the positivity and tenacity of those who continue to lead a life not plagued by the thought of their impending death. Would that I could be so strong when my time comes.

I was not aware of Randy's work prior to you posting this thread, but his accomplishments aside, I'm glad I watched this talk. Maybe, I'm strung out at the moment, but I welled up in a few spots. The second head fake being one of them.

God bless him and give him and his family strength over the next few months.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-09-21, 08:03

Thanks Kick. I will have to wait until Monday to watch it as there will be no point between now and then when I can spare two straight hours, but sounds like you've posted a great thing we can all learn from, no matter what our stripes. Those kind of posts are the best kind.

...into the light of a dark black night.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-09-21, 08:43

"We haven't much time. Let's whip the maid."

--last words of the Marquis de Sade

Sorry, had to give a little gallows humor shout-out for the thread starter. Seriously, I need to show this to some people who have yet to figure out that each day is a chance to make yourself happy, not preparation for a future time when you might be.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-09-21, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
"We haven't much time. Let's whip the maid."

--last words of the Marquis de Sade

Sorry, had to give a little gallows humor shout-out for the thread starter.
*lol* Thanks. This affected me enough that *I* couldn't joke about it. Oy.

OTOH, *LOVE* the quote. I'm going to have to find the proper time and place to deploy that one.
Wrao
Yarp

2008-07-25, 10:29

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...tC7LgD924UI602

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-07-25, 10:31

I just saw that on CNN's site. Well, he did it right. He leaves something behind that reached, and touched, a lot of people. We should all be so lucky.
AWR
Veteran Member

2008-07-25, 10:51

I just checked his web site a couple of days ago, always wondering, hoping that I'd read some miracle remission tale. His story is so normal yet so compelling. And to me, very sad.

He kept his head high (I can't imagine how, with three very young children, he must of constantly been thinking about what he would miss) and is a role model for courageous behavior.
iThink therefore iMac

2008-07-25, 11:37

Wow...I'm about half way through watching the lecture and its amazing. Such a sad story, but its great to see him enjoying his life.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-07-25, 12:20

Wow, even though it was going to happen, that still came out of left field. Such a loss.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2008-07-25, 12:29

I knew it was coming, but I'm still saddened by the news. I only hope that I may live with such positivity and dignity.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2008-07-25, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
Sorry, had to give a little gallows humor shout-out for the thread starter.
Speaking of which... link [cracked.com]