Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

what is wrong with my wireless mouse?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
what is wrong with my wireless mouse?
matt

Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via Yahoo to matt  
2005-01-11, 16:38

My wireless mouse is not smooth anymore? When i scroll around the screen it seems to studder, it can't keep up with me? This has never happened before? I cycled the power on my iMac G5. I have recycled the mouse. Nothing? Everything else works great? I have had this mouse for several months with no problems. The battery level is still green?

Has anyone experienced similar problems? Or now a fix?
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-01-11, 17:04

What kinda mouse is it? Some more details. Is it RF transmitter, or bluetooth? Apple, Logitech, etc?
matt

Send a message via AIM to matt Send a message via Yahoo to matt  
2005-01-11, 20:46

it is the Apple Wireless BT. It seems to be better after a couple of reboots? Weird?
OntarioBoi

2005-01-18, 15:16

hey i just joined today, umm i just got a New 2005 Custom G4 emac like 2 weeks ago, i also have a apple wireless BT mouse and it's been doing the same thing i think...(as you move the mouse, the pointer slows down on the monitor)??
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-01-18, 15:29

What kinda surface are we talking about, surface matters a lot with bluetooth.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-01-18, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0eWax
What kinda surface are we talking about, surface matters a lot with bluetooth.
Surface is important but not because of bluetooth. Optical mice "scan" a very small part of your desk surface hundreds of times a second and decide which way you have moved the mouse by recognising patterns in the scanned image and where they are.

If your desk is too shiny (even nice polished wood) then it can't detect the movement properly. As a first point of call though, I would replace the batteries. Even if they are still green!

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-01-18, 15:59

Well I say Bluetooth only because this problem is much much worse with BT than USB for some reason. My USB optical mouse tracks on my shiny lacquered desk, but my BT Apple mouse goes crazy.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-01-18, 16:09

Without restarting or changing batteries, track the mouse on a different surface. Basically, try one change at a time so you can isolate the problem. It could be that as the batteries start to fade the tracking ability is the first thing to go.

You could next try moving the mouse closer to your 'puter. Perhaps the bluetooth signal quickly fades off too.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
OntarioBoi

2005-01-19, 21:19

hey thanks for the info, didn't realize it could be the shinyness of the surface... i'll try moving it around if it slows down again... thanks again
Dave
Ninja Editor

2005-01-23, 03:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0eWax
Well I say Bluetooth only because this problem is much much worse with BT than USB for some reason. My USB optical mouse tracks on my shiny lacquered desk, but my BT Apple mouse goes crazy.
They're completely different mice. What makes you think it's the Bluetooth bit that makes the Apple mouse spaz out? I can guarantee that, barring RF interference or low batteries, it's the optical sensor and accompanying software that are glitching out on Apple's mouse, not the method with which they get the data back to the computer.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.