User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Anyone ever build a house or have you house built new?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone ever build a house or have you house built new?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-11-13, 14:19

My wife and I are thinking about moving. Not sure it will happen but really considering options. Part of it is to move to a larger home. This would be a must really at this point. So what I'm wondering is has anyone had a home built or build their own? I know that's generally something our grand parents did, but I'm thinking in a more modern setting. How did the financing work out for that? I know there are tons of resources on the internet but I figured I'd check here to see if anyone has any firsthand knowledge of the process. You know, find land, buy it, clear it, have house built on it. Buying new from a development isn't the same since really you're agreeing to buy the finished product not work it out without the developer.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2019-11-13, 15:44

We have had two homes built, and remodeled two. With the two we had built, we bought from Hubble Homes here in Boise. The two remodel projects I have done almost all of the work myself, other than subcontracting HVAC and window installation (my neighbor is an installer and does great window work for a good price). I have had help with plumbing, but now feel confident doing it all myself, and I do all of my own electrical work.

If you plan to act as the general contractor, most banks are going to ask a lot of questions before they decide on a loan. They are going to want proof that you can get the work done within budget and not leave them with a loan on a pile of firewood. This bit can be very tricky. You are likely going to have to demonstrate some collateral, as well. Banks are not too friendly loaning construction money to inexperienced builders, unless you have hired a general contractor. Hiring a general is also a lot more expensive because he wants to make his cut.

If you plan on whacking all the nails into place yourself, it will get even more complicated. Again, the bank wants to know that you are going to complete the task in a reasonable time frame, and that you are going to build a house that meets all applicable codes, passes inspections, and then has a floor-plan that can be resold should you fail. This can be difficult if you don't know what you're doing.

I am mostly self taught, but rely on the Google to make sure I am meeting code, especially with electrical and plumbing. However, there are also a gazillion building codes covering every aspect of the home's construction, up to and including the distance between your cabinets and how far apart your outlets are. If you appear to know what you are doing, inspectors will generally go pretty easy on you. But if you don't, they'll ding you to death! Also, codes differ from state to state so you have to be very careful to apply the correct ones.

Anyway, caution should be taken if you plan to build yourself. Make sure you know what's up. Otherwise, you're going to get taken advantage of or make serious mistakes that could cost a lot of money to fix. If you are inexperienced, hire a reputable builder.

Boise State! … Boise State! … Boise State!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-11-13, 16:37

Well, I do fall into the inexperienced category. I helped frame a house once in the summer of 1990. I hated it. Not my cup of tea.

So really then I need to look for a builder who does homes and see what they have to offer. Then the next question is do I just look for developer who are building new subdivisions or what? At least if I see a house in a subdivision I like I know what I would be getting.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2019-11-13, 19:14

You need to decide whether you want to live in an established, incorporated neighborhood with its resulting set of commie-level CC&R's, or purchase a piece of property outside of an incorporated neighborhood and blaze your own trail. A lot of builders will only build inside of established joints, and others won't build in them at all. It will likely be more expensive to build outside, because a lot of builders buy up "cheap" lots inside HOA's.

My preference is to either be outside an HOA, or find an older neighborhood where the HOA has long gone dormant and will never gain life again. I mean, once people gain their freedom, they never want to be shackled again! Our current home is inside a 40 year-old neighborhood whose HOA dissolved about 20 years ago. There was a dude going around trying to convince people it needed to come back, and we pretty much shooed him off our porches.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-11-15, 14:18

Well, if there is an HOA then there is no chance for my family. Dormant or not. I just can't have people telling me my grass is to tall because it rained a lot this week and I haven't been out to cut it yet... among other things.

My wife and I are thinking more of a plot of land at this point. We really like the idea of +3 acres and we won't get that in a development. At this point we might even look for one that includes a house we don't fit in but will get us land and a basic starting point. Then we can build at a reasonable pace while already being there. This is as opposed to selling our current home, buying land and putting a doublewide on it while the real house is built.

kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2019-11-15, 14:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
buying land and putting a doublewide on it…
I knew there was some trailer trash in you.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2019-11-19, 22:45

We built our last home. Or, rather, we had it built in a subdivision. The builder had a few different model of homes to choose from and several facades/materials. It was fun experience and the variety of choice meant that while there were only 6 or so layouts to pick from, each house looked different and had a different feel.

But new homes are full of unexpected problems because of the grading, the way the foundation settles, etc. We liked the house but we wouldn't do it again and that's separate from it being in a subdivision with an HOA (which we didn't mind since they were entirely reasonable). It was the house just lacked character. 3 years ago, we moved in a house that's nearly 100 years old and love it. It, too, has problems but they are entirely expected with a house this old.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2019-11-20, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
3 years ago, we moved in a house that's nearly 100 years old and love it. It, too, has problems but they are entirely expected with a house this old.
My preference is to buy much older homes and remodel them to meet modern code/specs. This way, you get the exterior character, the settled foundation, good exterior walls, and modern conveniences.

And usually no HOA.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-11-20, 16:47

This seems to be more of the direction we are heading now. An existing home on a chunk of land. While we could still build, I think we will be happier if we just have something relatively "move in ready". I'm still looking to build as an option but Mrs T is not so I'm fairly certain that's the direction we head instead.

kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2019-11-20, 17:08

Yep. The boss speaks. You're just there to move the furniture.