Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
10.3.4 released!
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-05-27, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Not that I don't trust Unsanity, but maybe their software actually adds new security holes?
Funny you mention this, but I take great effort to avoid Unsanity products and discourage others from using them because of the very way that haxies and anything that uses the APE framework work. Sure, Unsanity's developers make glorious claims about testing things thoroughly and how rare it is for people to have problems, but that doesn't change the fact that APE works the same way that extensions worked back in the Classic Mac OS days. APE uses unsupported procedures to violate protected memory, inject its own code into programs at launch time, and arbitrarily execute that code outside of the programs at any time. Please go back and reread that last sentence again.

If that isn't untrustworthy with regards to stability and security, I have no idea what is.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2004-05-27, 09:54

Exactly. And why that may be fine for general-purpose apps (hacking the Dock to look weirder than by default, as in "ClearDock", won't do any real big harm other than possibly crash it), I don't think it's fine for something security-related at all. According to John Gruber, this PA app *is* an APE bundle. That's just, uh, not a good idea.

Next thing you know, they're going to distribute it as a kernel extension (hello Aladdin!).
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-27, 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant
Is the security hole closed with this update?

NO. You still have to use third party fixes, and in keeping with the theme here, since I've read more about PA, I've uninstalled it and started using this instead.

...into the light of a dark black night.
VOX BARBARA

2004-05-27, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS66
So far, so good. Everything seems to be a little faster, even SMB.
a little bit? my g3 350 is screaming, not to mention my pb 1ghz.
And from now on they both are even finding themself automatically via ethernet. I guess apple fixed a lot under the hood.

best

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
--Philip K. Dick
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-27, 16:54

I'll have fun convincing my boss to let me install this one on our workstations... he's one of those people who is leary of every update for every system and application there is. Gets real paranoid about viruses as well. Hears one thing from a semi-informed client or friend and suddenly the internet is a virus-ridden hell just waiting to devour his copy of OS X.

...into the light of a dark black night.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-20, 16:32

I simply cannot believe how good this OS 10.3 Panther thing is. I mean, sheesh! I can get so much done on this 12" PowerBook G4 it just blows my mind. Of course it helps that I'm maxed out on RAM at 1.25GB. And it doesn't use too much storage on my 100GB hard drive, although I am concerned that 64MB of VRAM may not be enough for a super smooth performance. And finally, SAMBA 3 is gonna solve a bunch of my Windows networking issues. This is the absolute bomb.

And to think it was only $129!

I doubt if OS X can ever get cheaper than that!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-11-20, 16:42

Rumor has it 10.4 "Tiger" will have a system-wide search, maybe a bit like the experimental WinFS stuff on the Windows side?
¡Damned!

2019-11-20, 16:55

I can never tell if Ken is day-drinking or just shit-posting. Perhaps both.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-20, 17:09

I'm at work, and my whiskey bottle is empty.

Nothing wrong with a little nostalgia. You guys are being waaaaaaay too quiet.