User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Coke Zero claims a PS3 controller. :(


Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Coke Zero claims a PS3 controller. :(
Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tidewater Virginia
 
2008-12-29, 23:54

I figured it wouldn't be a big deal since Coke Zero has no sugar in it but I was wrong. I just thought I'd share my pictures of what I found. I really was surprised that it fried like it did. I'm sure it's when my daughter was cleaning it and pushing the buttons on it that it actually burned. Everything seemed fine on it until I attempted to play Force Unleashed tonight and couldn't use my Lightsaber, ("X") button.

Sad part is that it was spilled by my 2 year old about 5pm last night. I'm amazed at the amount of corrosion that had already taken place. It cleaned up some with cotton swab and alcohol, but the damage is clear from the pictures. Oh well, what's $50? I'm just glad my camera didn't get ruined too since it got a little splashing. Click the images to see all of them.

Never leave 2 year old unattended with glass of Coke Zero and PS3 controller.





Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
  quote
tomoe
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Send a message via AIM to tomoe  
2008-12-30, 00:23

Sorry to hear about the controller, hopefully it wasn't a dualshock.

IIRC regarding the corrision, it's the phosphoric acid and not the sugar that gives Coke its corrosiveness.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
  quote
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tidewater Virginia
 
2008-12-30, 00:38

It was. I've only had the controller and PS3 since the middle of October. So it'll be a bit to replace. Thankfully my wife and I don't play together often. In fact, we've only played with both controllers at one time once.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
  quote
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
 
2008-12-30, 00:41

Trade it in to GameStop.
  quote
scratt
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: M-F: Thailand Weekends : F1 2010 - Various Tracks!
Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-12-30, 01:22

Bummer.. Looks like you got particularly unlucky as that end of any chip is normally where the power / ground is.. So it probably fried pretty quick for that reason alone.

Coke Zero is evil stuff.. Have you ever noticed that in Pepsi's equivalent ice sinks!! Well it does in Thailand anyway! I think they make it from chemical waste!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
  quote
Brad
Selfish Heathen
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Zone of Pain
 
2008-12-30, 01:41

Your two-year-old wasn't drinking the Coke Zero, was she?
  quote
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Inner Swabia. If you have to ask twice, don't.
 
2008-12-30, 02:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
Sorry to hear about the controller, hopefully it wasn't a dualshock.

IIRC regarding the corrision, it's the phosphoric acid and not the sugar that gives Coke its corrosiveness.
Not exactly... While it isn't the sugar, even tap water can corrode electronics due to accelerated rusting in the presence of a conducting liquid (water (not pure)) and electricity. Acid will accelerate the process, but not enough to matter in the case of electronics.

I have upended a coke onto my laptop and was quick enough to get the battery out/unplug that nothing happened immediately -- waiting a week was sufficient time to plug it back in and it worked fine... Now, it appears that the coke may have torched a single resistor on the motherboard, but the laptop has been completely usable for the almost three years since the unfortunate soda incident so who cares what theoretic functionality I lost?
  quote
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
 
2008-12-30, 03:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
Bummer.. Looks like you got particularly unlucky as that end of any chip is normally where the power / ground is.. So it probably fried pretty quick for that reason alone.

Coke Zero is evil stuff.. Have you ever noticed that in Pepsi's equivalent ice sinks!! Well it does in Thailand anyway! I think they make it from chemical waste!
I don't know what the Pepsi equivalent to Coke Zero is. Conventional wisdom would say it would be Pepsi One, right? But I don't think they're really marketing that any more. With their recent rebrand, it seems like they're positioning Pepsi Max against Coke Zero (i.e., they both have black cans) but I don't even know what Pepsi Max is (I know the US Pepsi Max is different from the "international" Pepsi Max).

The whole thing is so confusing. How 'bout just having a regular cola, and a diet cola, and maybe decaf versions of each, and that's it? But nooo, they all have to get into Ones and Zeroes and Maxes and Pluses and Edges and C2s and I don't even know who's competing with who any more. I can sort of understand Coke Zero, because Diet Coke isn't meant to taste like regular Coke, so a "diet" version that does taste like regular Coke makes sense. But Pepsi Max is just weird.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
  quote
scratt
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: M-F: Thailand Weekends : F1 2010 - Various Tracks!
Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-12-30, 07:28

I was referring to Pepsi Max..

I always wondered what the point of Coke Zero was anyway.. According to the (obviously misleading) blurb on the can it should just be fizzy water..
I mean it has no sugar, no caffeine, no nothing... and yet...

All I know is they all taste awful. None of them remotely taste like anything other than sweeteners mixed with fizzy gak. Drink some real fizzy water with some kind of fruit squeezed into it if you want some taste. Well that's my opinion anyway!

Personally I like straight soda water and a crushed up piece of lemon or lime.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
  quote
Brave Ulysses
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
 
2008-12-30, 08:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I can sort of understand Coke Zero, because Diet Coke isn't meant to taste like regular Coke, so a "diet" version that does taste like regular Coke makes sense. But Pepsi Max is just weird.
That isn't what Coke Zero is.

Coke Zero is identical in ingredients to Diet Coke. There is a slight change in the proportions of the aspartme Ace-K. Otherwise they are identical.

Coke Zero was created for marketing reasons, not taste. Coke believed that young males, who have become more conscious of health and calories, would be more likely to drink a product called Coke Zero rather than a drink with "Diet" in its name.

Pretty simple really. They do taste slightly different but that's just because of the change in proportions and also probably a little mental.
  quote
dmegatool
Custom User Title
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: At home
 
2008-12-30, 08:38

What about crystal pepsi ?
  quote
torifile
Less than Stellar Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-12-30, 10:36

I *like* Coke Zero. It does taste different from Diet Coke. As far as I know, it has caffeine, just no sugar. But I have no doubt it's awful for your teeth and insides.
  quote
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tidewater Virginia
 
2008-12-30, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
Bummer.. Looks like you got particularly unlucky as that end of any chip is normally where the power / ground is.. So it probably fried pretty quick for that reason alone.

Coke Zero is evil stuff.. Have you ever noticed that in Pepsi's equivalent ice sinks!! Well it does in Thailand anyway! I think they make it from chemical waste!
Yeah, I wasn't able to open it up until 24 hours after the drenching. I'm actually pretty glad to see there was less damage. The good part of Coke Zero is that lack of syrup to coat everything with. I couldn't see any residue in there aside from the scorch marks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Your two-year-old wasn't drinking the Coke Zero, was she?
Oh no way no how. She drinks breast milk or water. Occasionally she get organic juice. I left my glass on the table next to my chair and she pushed something onto my table knocking my drink off. Right after I left for work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
I was referring to Pepsi Max..

I always wondered what the point of Coke Zero was anyway.. According to the (obviously misleading) blurb on the can it should just be fizzy water..
I mean it has no sugar, no caffeine, no nothing... and yet...

All I know is they all taste awful. None of them remotely taste like anything other than sweeteners mixed with fizzy gak. Drink some real fizzy water with some kind of fruit squeezed into it if you want some taste. Well that's my opinion anyway!

Personally I like straight soda water and a crushed up piece of lemon or lime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I *like* Coke Zero. It does taste different from Diet Coke. As far as I know, it has caffeine, just no sugar. But I have no doubt it's awful for your teeth and insides.
As tori said, its just like Coke but without the sugar. Personally I like the taste over Diet Coke because there isn't an after taste with Diet Coke. I'm pretty sure that Diet Coke uses a different sweetener than Coke Zero too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
  quote
Brave Ulysses
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
 
2008-12-30, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
As tori said, its just like Coke but without the sugar. Personally I like the taste over Diet Coke because there isn't an after taste with Diet Coke. I'm pretty sure that Diet Coke uses a different sweetener than Coke Zero too.
It doesn't.

They are the same.... different proportions.

I think you guys are a perfect example of the power of marketing!
  quote
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Inner Swabia. If you have to ask twice, don't.
 
2008-12-30, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
It doesn't.

They are the same.... different proportions.

I think you guys are a perfect example of the power of marketing!
Brave Ulysses is right for once.
  quote
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Whitby
 
2008-12-30, 20:25

Actually, it depnds on the country you're in. There's US/Canada Coke Zero, European Coke Zero and Spanish Coke Zero, each with different blends. Wiki it for details.

I would imagine that most of the taste difference is in the unnamed "flavourings" that they try and balance the taste of the sweetner with.

There's a fair few acids in the mix, by the look of it.
  quote
Brave Ulysses
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
 
2008-12-30, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Actually, it depnds on the country you're in. There's US/Canada Coke Zero, European Coke Zero and Spanish Coke Zero, each with different blends. Wiki it for details.

I would imagine that most of the taste difference is in the unnamed "flavourings" that they try and balance the taste of the sweetner with.

There's a fair few acids in the mix, by the look of it.
The difference between US/Canada and "foreign" Coke is generally the use of real can sugar vs. high fructose corn syrup. Another reason why the US corn subsidies suck....our coke tastes worse.
  quote
thegeriatric
geri to my friends
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Heaven
 
2008-12-30, 22:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Thankfully my wife and I don't play together often.
I wont say anything at this point!
  quote
Brad
Selfish Heathen
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Zone of Pain
 
2008-12-30, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric View Post
I wont say anything at this point!
Well, the two-year-old probably has something to do with that, despite being an indication that they used to...
  quote
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tidewater Virginia
 
2008-12-31, 00:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
It doesn't.

They are the same.... different proportions.

I think you guys are a perfect example of the power of marketing!
Your life would improve the day you stop stereotyping people.

I'm not replying to this to say you're wrong, but you are wrong. I'm not effected my marketing in the least because I don't watch TV, read newspapers, listen to the radio or any other form of advertising. I even have my hosts file and OpenDNS set to block ads on the web for me.

As you have noted, there are different levels of sweetener in the drinks and you think this doesn't effect the flavor? I actually know the difference in flavor and prefer the flavor of Coke Zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Well, the two-year-old probably has something to do with that, despite being an indication that they used to...
Yeah, I guess I could have phrased that differently. Lets just say that we always practice so we'll be ready for the next baby.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2008-12-31 at 01:16.
  quote
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2008-12-31, 00:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
I'm not replying to this to say you're both wrong, but you are both wrong. I'm not effected my marketing in the least because I don't watch TV, read newspapers, listen to the radio or any other form of advertising. I even have my hosts file and OpenDNS set to block ads on the web for me.

As you have noted, there are different levels of sweetener in the drinks and you think this doesn't effect the flavor? I actually know the difference in flavor and prefer the flavor of Coke Zero.
I think they were disputing your assertion that the two products have different sweeteners, not the possibility of different taste. In fact, I think Brave Ulysses even admitted they have slightly different tastes. Admittedly, his assumption about your susceptibility to advertising lacks integrity on several levels.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
  quote
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tidewater Virginia
 
2008-12-31, 01:07

My comments have had nothing to do with "what" sweetener is used other than it wasn't sugar (the only relevant point to this thread). My preference for any consumable is based on my pleasure or displeasure with the product.

Aside from that, the bottles of Diet Coke I looked at today do not include Ace-K and I can't find Ace-K listed in it's ingredients elsewhere either.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2008-12-31 at 01:20.
  quote
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
 
2008-12-31, 01:21

Oh wow. I never knew cola drinks were such Serious Business (TM).

Has anyone seen the new Pepsi cans/logo? Everybody on the graphic design blogs hates it, but I dig the minimalism, and I think the new logo is clever (it's not like the Pepsi Globe ever had the tradition of the Coke logo, anyway, so it makes sense for them to push to be the progressive, "fresh" brand). I don't think it's executed quite as well as Coke's 2007 minimalist rebranding, and it does seem a bit "follow-the-leader"-esque, but all in all I still think it's an improvement from the old designs.

"Mtn Dew," however, just needs to go. America's Nastiest Soda (TM): Now with more Spelled Like A Text Message!

I've stopped drinking coffee, but I started drinking Coke again (it's cheaper). Just regular Coke. I know it's not good for you by any means, but is it really that much worse for you than Diet Coke? Like, "fat taxes" often apply to regular sodas, but not diet sodas, which seems kind of weird to me, because surely Diet Coke is still bad for you. (I can't drink most diet sodas because I have a reaction to aspartame. I can drink Diet Coke with Splenda but I can only ever find that at Walmart and I don't like shopping there.)

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
  quote
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2008-12-31, 01:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post

I've stopped drinking coffee, but I started drinking Coke again (it's cheaper). Just regular Coke. I know it's not good for you by any means, but is it really that much worse for you than Diet Coke?
Yes, it is. Its got like a metric shit-ton of sugar in it. I'd go back to coffee asap. Which is the new can, I don't drink pepsi so I dunno... go linky?

And Turtle, you said "different sweetener," I think that's definitely susceptible to misinterpretation. And yes, they're discussion was somewhat off topic.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
  quote
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tidewater Virginia
 
2008-12-31, 01:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Yes, it is. Its got like a metric shit-ton of sugar in it. I'd go back to coffee asap. Which is the new can, I don't drink pepsi so I dunno... go linky?

And Turtle, you said "different sweetener," I think that's definitely susceptible to misinterpretation. And yes, they're discussion was somewhat off topic.
Roboman, what he said. Really, you'd be better off drinking coffee than Coke. Even better if you switched to black coffee. Oh, and it's cheaper too when you make your own.

Last comment on the contents and types of sweetener: Diet Coke having aspartame and Coke Zero having both aspartame and Ace-K are different sweeteners.

Well, my wife and I have talked about getting another controller to replace the dead one but I'm going to wait. She has never touched a controller for the PS3 yet so it really isn't a priority. I got it when I bought the console incase we wanted to play two player games. This just doesn't happen since we get our gaming in on the Wii. At least I'll have a spare battery around incase the other craps out. Not to mention something else to cannibalize should the need arise.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
  quote
Brave Ulysses
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
 
2008-12-31, 07:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Your life would improve the day you stop stereotyping people.

I'm not replying to this to say you're wrong, but you are wrong. I'm not effected my marketing in the least because I don't watch TV, read newspapers, listen to the radio or any other form of advertising. I even have my hosts file and OpenDNS set to block ads on the web for me.

As you have noted, there are different levels of sweetener in the drinks and you think this doesn't effect the flavor? I actually know the difference in flavor and prefer the flavor of Coke Zero.
Wow... perhaps you should lay off the coke zero because you are just a tad bit sensitive/defensive of it.



Get a grip man. I think the one who defends themselves by describing their hermit life and editing of hosts files and OpenDNS is the one who needs to get a life personally.


I never said they didn't effect the flavor, although they do taste very much the same. The information is out there for you as far as the differences. You apparently refuse to read it (it must be from the big bad mainstream america or something). The really funny (and sad for you) thing is that this is not a big deal at all... it's just soda.

And if you even had a basic level of reading comprehension, you would have seen that when i was discussing the "marketing" of the soda, the primary marketing difference was the name.... which you have bought into being different enough to try and the lack of use of "diet" seems to make you at least initially think that it might taste better and more like coke. So yes, marketing does work.

Your life would improve the day you learn to take a joke.
  quote
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Minnesota
 
2008-12-31, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
Bummer.. Looks like you got particularly unlucky as that end of any chip is normally where the power / ground is.. So it probably fried pretty quick for that reason alone.

Coke Zero is evil stuff.. Have you ever noticed that in Pepsi's equivalent ice sinks!! Well it does in Thailand anyway! I think they make it from chemical waste!
Wait so ice sinks in Pepsi Max? See, now you're going to make me try this.
  quote
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
 
2008-12-31, 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
The difference between US/Canada and "foreign" Coke is generally the use of real can sugar vs. high fructose corn syrup. Another reason why the US corn subsidies suck....our coke tastes worse.
I thought the big change to "New Coke" was when they switched from cane sugar to HFCS in the US?

I am happy to see a backlash brewing against HFCS. I used to need to buy organic bread in order to get away from HFCS, but in the last couple of months, Arnold Bread has removed HFCS from their bread products. Heck, even Pizza Slut has started offering HFCS free tomato paste on their "All Natural" pizza (which is only Pepperoni at the moment it seems). Not that I eat Pizza Slut pizza at all, but the idea of shunning HFCS seems to be getting some mainstream attraction.

I still can't believe how much stuff in the US contains HFCS. Heck I have to buy imported from Greece roasted red peppers in order to get any without HFCS. Have to buy organic ketchup, pickles and relish to escape it in those products as well.
  quote
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Inner Swabia. If you have to ask twice, don't.
 
2008-12-31, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Wait so ice sinks in Pepsi Max? See, now you're going to make me try this.
No, no. He said Thai ice sinks in Pepsi Max. I don't see how this is possible unless they are adding alcohol to the Pepsi Max...
  quote
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Minnesota
 
2008-12-31, 16:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
No, no. He said Thai ice sinks in Pepsi Max. I don't see how this is possible unless they are adding alcohol to the Pepsi Max...
Or maybe they're doing something to the ice... lead in the water?
  quote
Posting Rules Navigation
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Post Reply

Forum Jump
Thread Tools
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wii - Player 1 Controller doublem9876 Third-Party Products 9 2007-01-24 17:07
Mac Videogame Controller chaos123x Purchasing Advice 6 2006-03-28 22:22
coke spilled on PB G4 Sketch Genius Bar 16 2006-03-23 08:39
wireless Xbox controller with Mac? popperthepenguin Third-Party Products 7 2005-04-24 21:59


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2019, AppleNova