User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Why does iPod video sell better in white, while Nano sells better in black?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Why does iPod video sell better in white, while Nano sells better in black?
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2005-12-09, 04:25

Isn't that strange?

I got my data from Amazon.com.

I'd expect a black video device sell better, since video looks more lively against a black background...

Doxxic
Veteran Member

2005-12-09, 04:29

The more I think about it, the more it fascinates me.

Maybe we're *not* going to see a black iBook, or dito homePod aka media Mac mini. If the size is what makes the difference for some reason.

What else?...
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2005-12-09, 08:27

It's all about establishment and marketing. The iPod Nano is a *new thing* and therefore wasn't pigeonholed into what people thought it should be. The iPod video, however, is more like the original one... the super stereotypical white iPod. People see something desirable, and think "ooh, I want that," and then associate the attributes of that product together in their mind. The white iPod has five years of product penetration behind it. The iPod nano, albeit a namesake, doesn't have that kind of recognition.

And I haven't seen any black iPod Video ads... but I have seen black iPod nano ads. But that's just me, and I live out in the boondocks so I only see the big billboards when I go into Chi-town.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-12-09, 09:12

Actually, Doxxic, your data isn't all that accurate. On amazon, if an item is out of stock, as the black iPods frequently are, they drop from the top sellers because people don't buy things that are out of stock. The only reliable way to use amazon's top sellers is on items that don't get sold out. Then you could compare the 2.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2005-12-09, 09:12

Quote:
It's all about establishment and marketing. The iPod Nano is a *new thing* and therefore wasn't pigeonholed into what people thought it should be. The iPod video, however, is more like the original one... the super stereotypical white iPod. People see something desirable, and think "ooh, I want that," and then associate the attributes of that product together in their mind. The white iPod has five years of product penetration behind it. The iPod nano, albeit a namesake, doesn't have that kind of recognition.

And I haven't seen any black iPod Video ads... but I have seen black iPod nano ads. But that's just me, and I live out in the boondocks so I only see the big billboards when I go into Chi-town.
On the other hand, one could argue that the iPod video is the newer thing of the two.

That would lead to the opposite explanation, which is that people are more in want of some familiarity when they buy a device that enters unknown territory.

As a matter of fact, it's for that reason that I expect the first Intel Macs to look pretty much like the Macs we're used to (except a possible Mac mini for the living room, which I doubt to be going to be called a Mac at all)...

Last edited by Doxxic : 2005-12-09 at 09:18.
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2005-12-09, 09:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
Actually, Doxxic, your data isn't all that accurate. On amazon, if an item is out of stock, as the black iPods frequently are, they drop from the top sellers because people don't buy things that are out of stock. The only reliable way to use amazon's top sellers is on items that don't get sold out. Then you could compare the 2.
Wow, that would just explain it perfectly...

Now I might have to reconsider my opinion about black Intel Macs...

Last edited by Doxxic : 2005-12-09 at 09:25.
Kyros

2005-12-15, 16:43

Well it might be that the original iPod was white, and the video is the new version of the original, the nano is entirely new, so people aren't necessarily looking for iconic colors.
Yochanan

2005-12-16, 11:55

Racism! Why it gotta be about the black iPod for? Huh?

Seriously, I don't think any real conclusions can be drawn until we get official numbers on sales (and their breakdown by style) by Apple. I'll wait for the next refresh before making any judgements on it, but you can probably tell after the first quarter.

I'd love to see a shiny black widescreen iBook. I can't imagine what they'd do to the Power Books.
Wraven

2005-12-17, 11:45

Well,
I bought my wife a black nano for her birthday and she bought me a black 60GB 5G for Christmas (and yes - I peeked). I'd be all over a black widescreen Intel iBook.

Cheers,
Wraven