Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

September 10 iPhone Event

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
September 10 iPhone Event
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2019-09-10, 09:13

Now the scuttlebutt is that the new phones won't have reverse wireless charging? That's a huge bummer.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-09-10, 10:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I don’t think every single keynote needs to be amazing.
The only way that could happen is if the keynotes were only held once every 4 or 5 years. No company can innovate that fast and actually deliver functional products. And besides, we would all get overwhelmed by the fancy new things every six months and beg for them to put on the brakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Now the scuttlebutt is that the new phones won't have reverse wireless charging? That's a huge bummer.
Why? Just for AirPods? The AirPods case holds a charge for 24 hours of playback, which is longer than a typical phone lasts. You want to deplete your phone battery faster? I can see the convenience, but Samsung's thing isn't exactly setting the world on fire (well, not this time, anyway ). I have yet to see it in use, or even hear it mentioned outside of tech blogs.

Edit: Is this truly a useful feature, or just a me-too checkbox? The Apple Watch charger is curved—to hold the watch in place—but that's because the back of the watch is also curved. So, there's a tiny point of contact there for induction charging a Watch? Seems like that is a non-starter. Charging another phone? Mating? Are they making babies? "I forgot to totally discharge your phone this morning. So, can I discharge your phone, please?" I can kind of see charging an AirPods case (although how many people actually have the wireless charging AirPods? We sell about 20/1, and at least half of those are desperation purchases when the regular models are out of stock.)

This whole "wireless" charging thing seems more like a titanic fad driven by pretended "convenience" than actual usefulness. Seriously, I'm trying to come up with use-cases for this and there are so few that actually make sense I have to wonder if the technical hurdle/loss of internal space is actually worth the bother. "My phone can charge your phone" sounds more like a bragging right than anything two people actually do.

*WARNING* sarcasm ahead

Oh, wait, I know. I'll carry two phones with me. Then, when one of them dies, rather than use the other phone, I'll just suck its battery dry!

My AirPods ran out of battery, and I'm desperate for my Nirvana. I know, I'll suck the juice from my iPhone so my headphones will work. Hey, how come my phone ran out of battery so soon? This phone sucks!

What? My induction-charging electric toothbrush is dead? Drat. Hey, I know. Where's my iPhone at?

Oh, no's. My laptop battery is dead. Oh, yeah, I just remembered my iPhone can charge my laptop. Woot!

Here is the actual reason this exists: "That iPhone owner is over there glaring at my Samsung Galaxy 14S Diva Edition. Smug bastard. Well, I'll show him. I'll just wirelessly charge my new Galaxy Buds Me2. That'll teach that miserable iPhone owner a thing or two. Ha, look what I can do. Hey, why is my phone battery draining so fast?"

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-09-10 at 11:40.

¡Damned!

2019-09-10, 11:30

In my case, more for phone-to-phone charging, but sure, AirPods too. I wouldn't mind some extra convenience, tbh.

[edit]: You need to calm down. It's a tech feature that may or may not happen in this version, not a signal to the four horsemen that it is time.

So it goes.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-09-10, 11:43

Oh, I'm sending the horsemen to your place, pal!

Not being mean or attacking you, 709. Just gabbing.

¡Damned!

2019-09-10, 11:54

shitshitshitshitshitshitshitshit

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-09-10, 11:56

Hey, I know that guy!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-10, 12:21

Did I miss pricing for Arcade+?

$5 a month for TV+ isn't bad...depending on what is actually included. Originals is just not enough.

¡Damned!

2019-09-10, 12:23

Quote:
I still hold out that TV+ is a freebie for AppleTV owners.
Not exactly correct, but pretty close.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2019-09-10, 12:28

Hello folks, I hope we are all having fun - I am here to produce new threads as things become official!

¡Damned!

2019-09-10, 12:32

By now it's AN tradition.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2019-09-10, 12:49

This information about the health studies and the Apple research app is interesting and So relevant to my work, we're about to huddle after listening to this.

¡Damned!

2019-09-10, 13:13

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-10, 13:18

I really wish they would just say, "Yep, the CPU and GPU is much faster than before." No need to chat about all the extra stuff, tell us to read the hype on their site.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-09-10, 13:30

@ Capella you gon make a services thread?

Apple Arcade and Apple TV+ each being $4.99 is a good deal that also makes sense. They can't really afford to make Apple TV+ more expensive than that with such a nascent line-up. But, also, having them be family prices is really cool.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2019-09-10, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
@ Capella you gon make a services thread?

Apple Arcade and Apple TV+ each being $4.99 is a good deal that also makes sense. They can't really afford to make Apple TV+ more expensive than that with such a nascent line-up. But, also, having them be family prices is really cool.
Yep, I was editing things into the phones thread and now that's done a services one will be written up

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2019-09-10, 14:06

Quote:
OMG I had the SAME THOUGHT.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-09-10, 15:06

Oh, yes it is gonna happen. I almost hit my head on the desk!

Grief!

Next accident investigation will have some dumb-ass filming that crap just before they run over the little old lady in the crosswalk.

Talk about pandering to a vain society.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-09-10, 15:07

At any rate, It's time!

This thread has been locked for your convenience!