Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod Event 5th September?
Page 3 of 16 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2007-08-29, 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJB View Post
MBP bumps could be the "one more thing" - maybe a processor bump in line with the iMacs and a revised keyboard like the MacBooks and new iMac keyboards?
Speed bumps, yes. Revised keyboard? hell no!!
Why mess with the best keyboard out there?

wecallitfall

2007-08-29, 08:40

About time we had some iPod action, i'm thinking the same as Mac Rumors:

new nano
shorter
video iPod like screen
coverflow
new UI

iPod touch
3.5" touch screen
max 120GB
coverflow

Beatles lovefest

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-08-29, 12:52

ok, if we're placing bets in this thread, here are my guesses:

1. iPod touch with slightly different but important distinction from the iPhone.
2. New iPod nano but not quite the overall proportion that you've been seeing at 9to5mac. Those proportions are hideous; Ive would never let something like that slip out the door. It will probably be moe 4:3 proportion and look like the current aluminum nanos.
3. Beagles on iTunes, special edition releases and maybe iPod.
4. iTunes 8 with, I hope, better differentiation of media and libraries. For macs, iMovie 8 will carry the load for video where appropriate. For non iMovie owners and windows computers, a more distinct view within the iTunes window. Hey, I can dream!
5. iPhone update announcement: intent to put iTS on the iPhone directly, integrated with the iPod portion of it. People will complain that it looks like adware in their iTunes playlists.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-08-29, 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
The new iMac isn't lame, you goof.
I know, I know. It's cute. It's new. It's…aluminum. Looks great, runs great, blah, blah, blah!

So, no, it isn't lame, so long as you like to look at yourself in the mirror while you compute (we can't even replace our cash registers—they sit in front of the windows—because the new iMac's reflectance is so bad )! We've sold a lot of iMacs out of our store and this is the first time I have been less than impressed. And failures? Holy whoppers, Batman. Apple has fallen down on the job! This is one Rev 1 computer I would strongly recommend a "hold" on!

But, since this is an iPod thread…

If Apple gives the new 6G iPod a slightly bigger screen, more capacity and OS X, I will consider that a very marginal upgrade. The only thing in there that might be cool is the OS X part. Storage is already plentiful (for 99.9% of users—yes, I see tons of 80GB iPods with 2 movies and 1583 songs on it ) and a small increase in screen size will not impress those who aren't already impressed. In fact, OS X will not do that either. People looking for a music/video player (and unfamiliar with Apple) don't need that power, and there is no need for it, at all, unless the touch interface and flashy graphics are tossed in there!

Case in point: Would the iPhone be so popular and so hyped if not for the Multi-Touch interface? Hell no! Mac geeks would buy it, but the rest of the world would go ! Without that, it be just another fancy little PDA with a typical, clicky keyboard and random screen.

No, the new iPod is going to have to be a phone-less iPhone if Apple wants to impress the world…again! And it will sell those 22-million numbers the analysts are spouting about. A very marginal upgrade as above will sell millions, but maybe half of what the other would.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2007-08-29 at 13:29. Reason: Unfinished!

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-08-29, 13:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan View Post
I'm really hoping for a full screen iPod, - my G3 iPod is barely hanging on.
Dude. I still have a 5GB G*1* iPod. Original battery, too. (On which I can still get 4hrs, thankyouverymuch...)

cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2007-08-29, 13:27

Apple will be very careful to make a "phoneless-iphone ipod" in fear it might cannibalize the phone market. They need to make it either on par with the iphone price or significantly different, which the latter might be less flashy.

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.

sjsutton

2007-08-29, 13:43

So the fact that the iPhone is the "best iPod ever", any consensus on Apple announcing or previewing the 1.1 update?

MagSafe

2007-08-29, 14:54

So what hdd size do you think Nano will be upgraded to?

I've had my 60GB Video for coming up to 2 years now (i know thats not as long as some people, but I fancy a change if I can get a good price for my current one), and as I only use 10-12GB of it i'm thinking of replacing it with one a shiny new Nano.

Find me on Twitter: @StevenMcLintock

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-08-29, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagSafe View Post
So what hdd size do you think Nano will be upgraded to?
Most likely doubled, as always. 4/8/16.

zippy
Veteran Member

2007-08-29, 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
Ah, yes. The Beagles. One of my all-time favorites

BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2007-08-29, 17:58

I hope there are new iPod socks...it's about time they were updated.

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2007-08-29, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Ah, yes. The Beagles. One of my all-time favorites
Mine too!

rampancy

2007-08-29, 18:40

I really, really, really hope what they'll release won't be those "fat iPod nanos" mentioned earlier as seen (?) on 9to5 Mac and Gizmodo. Ugh.

However, I did see an AI report about a 2G iPod shuffle Product(RED) version, in addition to possible price drops. I'd be interested in that.

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-29, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
ok, if we're placing bets in this thread, here are my guesses:
Ah, yes...four working-class dogs from Liverpool. "I Want to Hold Your Paw" and so many others. One of my favorites!

Sometimes I just need Photoshop taken away from me...I can't help myself.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-08-29, 19:00

Oh, boy!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-29, 19:01

Yes, the horror!

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2007-08-29, 19:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Dude. I still have a 5GB G*1* iPod. Original battery, too. (On which I can still get 4hrs, thankyouverymuch...)
But you're dying to update. You know you want the latest one, you're just trying to convince yourself you don't need it.

But. Me wants it yesssssssssss master. Me wants the pretty (new iPod) give us the pretty yessssssss, yessssssssssss.

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-08-29, 19:19

I'll update with iPhone rev B.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-08-29, 22:03

You know, it doesn't matter WHAT they come out with.... I'll probably be buying it since I bought the one that I have right now scant weeks before they intro'd the first video iPod. At last, finally, I'll be getting one that's "brantnew".

Yeah c'mon.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-08-29, 23:07

I definitely think Apple will announce the availability of the Beatles on iTunes (and probably a special Beatles iPod, to boot). I think Jobs playing Beatles on the iPhone in January was a bit of a giveaway, but even if you want to chalk that up to coincidence (or Jobs just really liking the Beatles), you can't deny the flurry of post-Beatles solo content that has hit iTunes in the last few months. Lennon. McCartney. And now, Ringo. It almost seems like Apple is "leading up" to an announcement. Throw in the possibly coincidental reference to the Beatles' last press release (does Apple really try and fill their press invites with secret meanings?) and it definitely seems like something is about to happen.

Oh, and if the iPod does go touchscreen, I hope Apple has the sense to make it a 4-inch 16:10 display, rather than the 3.5-inch 3:2-or-whatever mess the iPhone has. A touchscreen iPod won't need room for the earpiece (it'll still probably have the "home" button), which frees up space for a larger display - a 4-inch 16:10 display would fit perfectly on the face of the current iPod, after all.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2007-08-30, 05:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
You know, it doesn't matter WHAT they come out with.... I'll probably be buying it since I bought the one that I have right now scant weeks before they intro'd the first video iPod. At last, finally, I'll be getting one that's "brantnew".

Yeah c'mon.

drewpoops. And then recovers.

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2007-08-30, 07:40

drewprops poodrops.

That is priceless, Paul! See what fortuity the iPhone spell checker brings?

So another rumor is ringtones (makes sense) will be introduced but not for Universal songs (makes sense, the idiots), and allows you to create them from songs you've purchased (makes sense again). So... to me, it makes sense. I don't know about the Beatles thing, but it could just as easily not be there as this could be, or both or neither. How's that for calling it?

Last edited by BuonRotto : 2007-08-30 at 08:55.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-30, 11:45

Cool, I can answer my phone to "Bootylicious".

I'm kidding...I hate hearing music when someone's phone rings.

I do wish Apple would add some more sounds to their standard ringtone choices. I'm currently using the old-timey telephone (which always makes me laugh, considering the device it's coming out of), but I'd like to see a few more. The sound I used to use on my old phone - a nice, crisp "digital" ring - was very distinctive and easy to hear, even in a noisy store or pub.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-08-30, 11:50

if the os x iPods don't have real buttons, and therefore no easy way to change the song or pause it wthout looking at it, they're going to have a tough time selling it to a lot of users. The iPod is beautiful because it is easy to use. Limiting interaction to a touch screen would be a step backwards.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-30, 11:59

That's the real, true answer, of course. However, once the RDF spins up to full power, people will never realize - or remember - that.

"Oooh, it's touch screen...so pretty!"

Watch for fender-benders to take a sharp upswing in the coming months.

zippy
Veteran Member

2007-08-30, 12:37

I've decided to go out on a limb and predict that the MacBook Pro will be updated at this event.

I am sure of it!

Pretty sure, anyway.

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-08-30, 12:46

Will we have a new iTunes at this event, or at least an update?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-08-30, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
That's the real, true answer, of course. However, once the RDF spins up to full power, people will never realize - or remember - that.

"Oooh, it's touch screen...so pretty!"

Watch for fender-benders to take a sharp upswing in the coming months.
But "pretty" will sell so many iPods! And all those fender benders will enrich the lawyers and body shops!

It's a conspiracy, man! A conspiracy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
I've decided to go out on a limb and predict that the MacBook Pro will be updated at this event.

I am sure of it!

Pretty sure, anyway.
I'm pretty sure that what ever you're smokin' must be some good stuff!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-08-30, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Will we have a new iTunes at this event, or at least an update?
See the iTunes 8 thread: iTunes and OS X will have to fight for dominance, until eventually iTunes will win by organising all of your files and opening them all too...

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-08-30, 13:03

iPods can't lose their physical buttons. Today I figured out one of my main gripes with the iPhone as iPod - I've to turn on the screen to start the music playing. I can't just hit "play" and be done with it. It's a multi-step process. iPods can't have this limitation.