AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple UK Event - 18th September

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple UK Event - 18th September
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
rasmits
rams it

2007-09-17, 16:07

Maybe Steve Jobs will crap all over a giant 'Apple Expo' banner for his 'one more thing'.

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-09-17, 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Hey, what is everyone expecting at this London event? I assume it's very iPhone-centric, but I just saw some pics at MacRumors where there are black curtains hanging up. Now this could be simply to "block out the world" and prying eyes. But I wonder if there are products, displays and signage covered as well? If this is an iPhone event, why bother with the heavy secrecy I wonder?
There was a report that employees of that store were to come in after the event to set up and then the store would open to the public two hours after the "event" and would remain open until 10pm that night... could be to handle the mad rush of potential iPhone orders but who knows. It's always fun to speculate.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-09-17, 16:16

I don't think they'll announce anything that the US doesn't already have. It'll be the iPhone, and maybe some enhancements to the UK iTunes store, to bring it closer to the US store in terms of functionality.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-09-17, 16:19

For once I get to wake up to a keynote!
hobbit.2

2007-09-17, 18:54

Quote:
I wonder if there are products, displays and signage covered as well?
Unfortunately no. I just went past half an hour ago to check it out.

If you look at the Regent Street photo (from the Apple website):

The first floor is slightly recessed and what they've done is hang a huge black curtain (in 3 parts) from the ceiling to the floor and from the very left to the very right side of the shop. Basically all you can see is a black curtain. If there is signage covered it would be behind the curtain.

The only thing you can see are the two window displays: the first arch has a 24" iMac surrounded by pictures of an iMac from all sides, the second and third arch are the doors and the fourth arch has an AppleTV with huge plasma screen behind it.
That's all you can see.

What is a bit odd is the closure for 6 hours.
No one event can take that long. If it is merely a press conference it wouldn't need more than 2 hours tops. Perhaps it is an iPhone event but Apple Store employees have not been told how to handle/sell them yet - so they get some extra 4 hours to learn what to do and how to handle people signing up for phone contracts.

Or maybe they just need extra time to re-decorate the Store? Moving items around and making room for a whole new iPhone section - which they have not set up just yet in order to not give too much away?!?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-17, 19:06

That's probably what it is. Nothing like this takes six hours (the event/hob-knobbing itself). Must be to get the store reconfigured and spruced up with the new phone stuff.

You know what's going to be fun? Hearing all the UK people get one in their hands, and proceed to bitch and moan about all the things most of us have gotten out of our system for the past two months. Can't wait!

Just give me an iPhone update with some new, usable features and capabilities and I'll be just fine. None of this "under the hood refinements" nonsense like these first two.

I want a new widget! I want something to click, launch, open, view, save, send, draw, e-mail, etc. Anything. It can be a "STFU and quit squawking about iPhone updates!" widget, I don't care.

Also, I want the ability to be able to take JPEG e-mail attachments and a) throw them into my pictures folder, and, by extension, b) make it into a wallpaper.

My sister sent me a cool pic last night of one of the "CSI: Miami" vixens arriving at the Emmys, with her perfect round butt all stic...anyway, it would've been neat to save it (the pic) without saving the entire e-mail.

If this can be done currently, I'm going to feel like a real dunce...

hobbit.2

2007-09-17, 19:45

One more thought I had re the 6 hour unusual length:

What if this is not one press conference but let's say 3? One for UK, one for German and one for French media/audiences?
Perhaps this is a press marathon?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-09-17, 20:49

The Apple stores here were closed for 4 hours on June 29th for the iPhone launch. 2 hours for the keynote and hullaballo + 4 hours of prep time seems reasonable.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-09-17, 21:55

So is teh Steve himself in London Village, guys? Maybe worth a trip in to Oxford Circus to beg for his autograph?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-17, 22:03

He's in London, yes. Probably jet-lagged as can be. California > London...isn't that about nine hours? There's no telling what he might say tomorrow. Goodness knows how loopy I can get when my sleep/rest routine is jostled in the least.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-09-17, 22:16

Quote:
He's in London, yes. Probably jet-lagged as can be. California > London...isn't that about nine hours?
Eight. Germany, France, etc. would be nine.
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-09-18, 01:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Eight. Germany, France, etc. would be nine.
Nope. Orbitz says the average travel time from San Francisco, CA to London, Great Britain is 10 hours and 10 minutes.

That makes more sense to me because my avg flight to SF from Zurich is 12 hours (11 hours return).

Anyway, I'm not sure how jet lagged he'll be - I doubt he flies economy, wedged between two whales in seat 56E.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-09-18, 02:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR View Post
Nope. Orbitz says the average travel time from San Francisco, CA to London, Great Britain is 10 hours and 10 minutes.

That makes more sense to me because my avg flight to SF from Zurich is 12 hours (11 hours return).

Anyway, I'm not sure how jet lagged he'll be - I doubt he flies economy, wedged between two whales in seat 56E.
That's great and all, but they were talking about *time zones*

While flight time does have quite an effect on your state of alertness, the actual jet lag from the time zone shift is much more challenging.
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-09-18, 03:01

Typical. They got it all wrong!

I'll go back to sleep now; please carry on with the scheduled programming. Sorry for doubting you chucker.

PS, Majost for at least giving me a heads up.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2007-09-18, 03:29

That apple store is gorgeous.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2007-09-18, 03:50

Woo I woke up just in time!

http://stuff.tv/blogs/live/archive/2...-launch-2.aspx
MAJB

2007-09-18, 03:52

How crazy were the queues in the US for iPhones? Is there any chance that if I rock up around 7 pm tonight at the Regents Street store I'll be able to get one without queuing for 3 hours?
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-09-18, 03:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJB View Post
How crazy were the queues in the US for iPhones? Is there any chance that if I rock up around 7 pm tonight at the Regents Street store I'll be able to get one without queuing for 3 hours?
Many Apple Stores outside of California had 8 GB iPhones available even at closing time on June 29th, so I'd guess you'd be able to get one.
MAJB

2007-09-18, 03:56

Cool. I won't bother if there's a huge queue though as have to be at dinner at 8. There's always tomorrow...
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2007-09-18, 03:59

The iPhone guy is there, so I guess its set!

jondaapplegeek

Send a message via MSN to jondaapplegeek Send a message via Skype™ to jondaapplegeek 
2007-09-18, 04:05

UK Apple store and O2 store is down now...
coincidence? I think not! Store wouldn't go down for a humble iTunes-only update
MAJB

2007-09-18, 04:13

So much for getting an iPhone today. 9 nov is the launch date.
jondaapplegeek

Send a message via MSN to jondaapplegeek Send a message via Skype™ to jondaapplegeek 
2007-09-18, 04:16

and they have partnered with Carephoone Warehouse to sell them! Noooo i hate that company - they are always so busy, and the staff (convincingly) pretend to know what they are talking about when they haven't got a clue. At least here in Exeter, that is.

Jon Hole
http://www.jonhole.co.uk
15" PowerBook G4 Combo, 1GB RAM
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-09-18, 04:20

Ha Ha! Exeter! Car Phone Warehouse! Ahhhhhha ha ha ha !!! Memories!
rasmits
rams it

2007-09-18, 04:24

Q&A? It's already over?

What about France and Germany? And the rest of Europe?

Boo! I declare this one... a dud.
beardedmacuser

2007-09-18, 04:27

Hmmm... same price as the 16 gig iPod touch. Do I want an extra 8 gigs of storage, or a phone?
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2007-09-18, 04:27

Another stirling line.

Quote:
10:24 - Q: What's the contract length, and does unlimited usage truly mean unlimited?

Matthew: "18 months contract. There is a limit: 1,400 internet pages per day would break the deal as part of fair usage agreement." Wait, what?
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2007-09-18, 04:28

Its great that the British Press are asking some probing questions though.
rasmits
rams it

2007-09-18, 04:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Another stirling line.
Standard with all internet providers, both mobile and terrestrial. Unlimited really never means 'unlimited'.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-09-18, 04:31

Standard with any company the world over, free, sale, discount, unlimited etc. etc. mean you are being lied to. Period.