User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

September event rumored...subscription iTunes and iPhone iDisk access?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
September event rumored...subscription iTunes and iPhone iDisk access?
Page 2 of 6 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Thread Tools
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2008-08-24, 14:34

That mock-up is a fake, because it would never make it to mass manufacturing.

The click wheel is curved. The glass / plastic screen cover is curved. Look at EVERY Apple product ever. Even if the case is tapered, the screen and user input controls never suffer the same fate, because it's simply not practical to manufacture screens and touch controls that way.

Besides, it has the same craptastic grainy and low-resolution quality that almost every bad Photoshop job (dubbed "leaked photo") does.

Kevin Rose is a know-it-all who has a pretty bad track record, and just likes to hear himself talk. At least, that's my opinion. I bet he does this because it drives traffic to Digg or something like that.

EDIT: So apparently he's 50/50, but I still don't like him.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.

Last edited by ShadowOfGed : 2008-08-24 at 16:01.

rasmits
rams it

2008-08-24, 16:08

The grainy / blurry shots of the iPod Nano Phat proved to be quite true, much to my dismay.

dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-08-24, 17:20

Leaked photos has to be blurry and grainy. It's a non-written rule !!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-08-24, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
How can you complain about how "big" it is when there's nothing in that photo to give it scale? There's no quarter or Coke can there for reference, so how do you know it's some huge thing that looks awkward in your pocket, going solely on that photo of it sitting there by itself?
I know it doesn't have a scale, but it just looks big. I admit it could just be my perception. Not to mention how fake it looks. The obsession some people seem to have with the MBA design goes over my head, I see nothing great about it. I say that so you can understand I don't find this design attractive at all. Round, curvy, BLAH. I guess I'm just on the touch bandwagon, as I said I think we are more likely to see a nano with a touch interface than that.

zippy
Veteran Member

2008-08-24, 18:04

I'm going to have to vote FUGLY on that design. It looks like something that Microsoft or Dell would come up with to compete with the nano, and it would fail. I like the current Nano way more than that. The best thing they could do would be to just widen and/or shorten the current version and make it a touch screen device. I know many hate the touch screen because of the whole in-the-pocket-useage issue, but I prefer it.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2008-08-24, 21:04

For what it's worth, more potential evidence of the leaked iPod Nano being real. Silicone cases in the same form factor.

There's also talk in that thread of an updated iPod Touch with GPS. That would make it quite the TomTom or Garmin alternative...should Apple ever decide to allow it.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-08-24, 21:30

iTunes Unlimited - I know that subscription models kill our souls but how many of us would jump at the chance to get our iPods full of music? I might not do it because I don't spend $100/year on music, but I bet I'd try it for a year.

And the countless others who'd do it for a year and find that they hate thinking that they'd lose their tunes?

Parents who are shitting their pants because they think their kids are downloading music and don't want the RIAA coming after them, but their kids have iPods so other subscription services don't work?

Essentially streaming your own radio, since the industry is determined to kill Pandora and the like? I might do it just for that and think of it as a membership to eMusic or paying for something like Pandora. Now that I think about it, what's so wrong about that? DRM sucks, but really, how else would you expect a subscription model to work?

But forget all of that. All I want is a way to easily have a common library with others users on my computer. I know it's doable with aliases, but it's a pain and if you forget to shut iTunes down in the other account, you get a "library locked" error.

The AppleTV needs to take a more prominent role in all of this. If there's a subscription model, it needs to work on the AppleTV without a computer like renting movies right now. The AppleTV is brilliant and I love mine. Not a single regret since getting it.

Just my 2¢.

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2008-08-24, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
For what it's worth, more potential evidence of the leaked iPod Nano being real. Silicone cases in the same form factor.

There's also talk in that thread of an updated iPod Touch with GPS. That would make it quite the TomTom or Garmin alternative...should Apple ever decide to allow it.
Well, maybe I'll eat my words. I just find it hard to believe Apple would try to put curved glass/plastic on a mass-manufactured device; flat parts seem like they'd be much easier/cheaper to work with…

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-08-24, 23:28

Look at the case, it has a Mini USB port slot, not a iPod dock connector.... FAKE.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-08-25, 11:08

If you're talking about that photo of the two black cases, you can't see anything on the bottom.

The only thing I'm seeing that shows the bottom (mini USB connector) is that lime green-colored on-screen mockup from China, which could've been done by anyone (a reader or an early design draft).

If there are other pics of those actual black cases with that type of (wrong) connector, I've not seen them.

I think this tapered, "squished football" design is legit. The current nano is just too damn ugly to be allowed to continue...

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-08-25, 11:24

A few things:

I could see the nano going back to a similar shape that it used to be with a larger screen. The fat nano just doesn't work.

Subscription iTunes? no. It won't happen. I"m sure that Apple has a subscription plan ready to roll out at any time, but they would only do that if another subscription model came out and was successful. Apple is doing fine with selling songs.

iPhone Disk Access? Meh. I've never used any of my iPods in that way, so if it happens, great. If not, no big deal.

WIth everything that has come out recently from Apple, I haven't even really been following the rumors. I have all of the things that I wan now, so I'm not following a lot of things.

I'm sure that something will come out that I didn't know I needed and will love. (Remote.app for iPhone for example.)

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.

k squared

2008-08-25, 23:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
iPhone Disk Access? Meh. I've never used any of my iPods in that way, so if it happens, great. If not, no big deal.
le.)
The rumor is iPhone iDisk access, which if true, could be a major selling point for MobileMe. I've used Readdle in the past and it works well, but iDisk and QuickLook...makes for an interesting replacement for an iPhone "Finder"

ronmexico

2008-08-26, 08:43

I could see them considering a subscription service for TV shows/movies. I find that I do not download nearly as many as I would like with an a la carte system.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2008-08-30, 16:22

Actually more evidence that this new elongated iPod Nano is a fake.

dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-08-30, 16:34

Yay !! Ok now... bring on that NanoTouch

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2008-08-30, 20:37

Personally. I like the fat Nano. Having said that a Nano touch, now that I'd buy for sure.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-08-31, 01:30

So an iPod clone looking kinda sorta similar (although with a much uglier, out of proportion clickwheel and an ugly border around the screen) somehow means that Apple wouldn't design an iPod like that? Huh?

The "Kevin Rose" iPod simply makes too much sense not to be real, IMO. It perfectly matches Apple's current design direction and goals.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-08-31, 10:48

I agree. Those pics above prove nothing, IMO.

In any case, that pic I linked on the first page (in my second post of the thread) looks a lot thinner, with a smaller wheel and just more "Apple-y". I still think there's a solid 90% chance it's legit, despite all the naysaying...

I guess we'll know in about another nine days, if talk of that September 9 iPod event is accurate.

Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-09-01, 14:32

Thank god it's most likely fake.

In any case, I like the fat Nano. At introduction, I was flabbergasted, and couldn't believe how ridiculously ugly it was.
Then I saw it IRL.

Converted 07/2005.

doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2008-09-02, 00:36

http://es.engadget.com/photos/ifa-20...no-4g/1011119/

I mean, it's possible...

doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2008-09-02, 00:38

Sorry I've been absent for so long!
(...if you missed me...)

JohnnyTheA

2008-09-02, 01:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
DRM is pointless on iTunes music, If you buy iTunes DRM song all you need to do is burn them to a CD (Audio CD mode) and then Rip them back using itunes and DRM is gone.
I wonder if that is really true... Audio compression is usually lossy. There are loss-less compression techniques but they don't compress very much. Burning a CD from DRMed iTunes obviously puts in loss (that was introduced when Apple or whoever compressed the original media) to the audio. This is the same loss that you would hear if you played the music from iTunes but if you then Re-encode back to iTunes format, I wonder if there is additional loss. Its probably best to use the same format that iTunes uses when you rip (not mp3). I am going to try to do a burn/rip cycle for ten repetitions to see if the loss builds up or not. I know I have done what you talk about and the songs sound great but there could be some additional loss that someone with better ears than me could hear. After ten cycles, if the loss is additive it might be hearable..

On the subscription idea, I have a strange opinion on that. This may seem odd, but for me its a little more enjoyable listening to the radio and hearing a song I really like rather than manually playing that song when I want to in iTunes. Its probably the randomness of the event that does it for me. If I put a huge playlist on shuffle mode, I usually end up skipping songs all day long. A happy medium for me is a service like Pandora, where the songs are sort-a random but are similar to artists you select. Thats a subscription service I would pay for (even though Pandora is free, I have heard that their days are numbered). Does anyone know if Pandora works okay with the iPhone 3G? That blows away XM for me.

JTA

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-09-02, 06:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTheA View Post
I wonder if that is really true... Audio compression is usually lossy. There are loss-less compression techniques but they don't compress very much. Burning a CD from DRMed iTunes obviously puts in loss (that was introduced when Apple or whoever compressed the original media) to the audio.
Burning to CD has been possible and lauded as a bypassing technique since DRM was introduced with the iTMS so many years ago. Burning the CD doesn't degrade quality at all; ripping to a lossy format (MP3, AAC) does. If you rip as AIFF or Apple Lossless, there's no quality change at all.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-09-02, 12:13

The event is confirmed: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ts_ro ck.html

I stand by my original prediction of a new nano and touch, with upgraded capacities and dropped prices. I also still think the shuffle will drop to $49 for the 2 GB and the 1 GB model will die. I still don't know what I think about the classic. I guess we'll all know soon enough, though.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-09-02, 12:25

Until capacity is higher in the touch with the prices being lower, I don't see the Classic going anywhere. It's perfect for using in the car.

I'm hoping we have a Macbook/Pro announcement at this event......pa-pa-please Apple!!!!

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-09-02, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Until capacity is higher in the touch with the prices being lower, I don't see the Classic going anywhere. It's perfect for using in the car.
I don't see the classic going anywhere, but I can see it going to just one model - 120GB (to match the Zune 120) or 160GB (to beat it), at the price of the current 80GB ($249).

I wonder if it's finally time for the iPod nano to go sub-$100. A $99 iPod nano would own the holiday season. Only a $99 DS lite could come close, and that ain't happening (well, at least not until after the holidays).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-09-02, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I don't see the classic going anywhere, but I can see it going to just one model - 120GB (to match the Zune 120) or 160GB (to beat it), at the price of the current 80GB ($249).
Yeah, that's kinda along the lines of what I was thinking. I don't see them doing away with it or anything, but I don't really see how they can do any huge improvements except for capacity and price.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-09-02, 12:48

I'd love to see the price drop on the 160GB iPods. I've been trying to live with the iPhone's 8GB limitation, but it sucks. On top of that, compared to a regular iPod, it's a total pain in the ass to get music onto an iPhone. I'm at the point where I'd almost rather keep iPhone space for programs and get the 160GB iPod classic just so I could have a good portion of my music collection with me.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-09-02, 12:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
That's a good suggestion. I think I'll adopt your theory as my own.
Quote:
I wonder if it's finally time for the iPod nano to go sub-$100. A $99 iPod nano would own the holiday season. Only a $99 DS lite could come close, and that ain't happening (well, at least not until after the holidays).
I totally think it's going to $99. I expect two nanos, 8 GB and 16 GB, at $99 and $149, then the touch can start at $199 without stepping on the nano's toes too much.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-02, 13:12

I think that'll happen.

The iPod isn't the powerhouse thing it was a year or two ago (simply because everyone already has one...or two or three, etc.).

So just adding capacity and different colors probably isn't enough to make those folks upgrade, or, more importantly, bring over those remaining 275 people on the planet who don't have an iPod. Capacity and colors won't work on those folks. But a cheap, affordable, kick-ass price will.

My Mom has a 1st generation (white plastic) iPod nano. I told her about this September event and the possible new iPod nano coming. She's all ready to trade-up, and she got really excited when I mentioned that there was talk of them having a lower price. She'd buy a $99 8GB 4G nano that day...that might be asking too much, I realize (twice the capacity, half the price), but you never know. Anything's possible...

And if she could get it in pink.