User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

September event rumored...subscription iTunes and iPhone iDisk access?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
September event rumored...subscription iTunes and iPhone iDisk access?
Page 3 of 6 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  Next Thread Tools
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2008-09-02, 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I'm hoping we have a Macbook/Pro announcement at this event......pa-pa-please Apple!!!!
Yes please! Although given the design of the invite, I'm not going to hold my breath.

apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-09-02, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit View Post
Yes please! Although given the design of the invite, I'm not going to hold my breath.
I'm looking fwd to the next-gen MBPs as well, but between the design of the invitation and the fact the Back-to-School promo is still ongoing (until Sept. 15), I'm guessing we have at least 2-3 more weeks before new MB/MBPs arrive. Otherwise, Apple could be looking at exchanging thousands of newly-sold (in the promo) MB/MBPs.

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-09-03, 05:56

I'm planning to get my iMac on with the back to school deal, which still hasn't started, even though everyone is starting to go back. Any upgrade in the iMacs would be a welcome incentive but not particularly necessary!

Jason
Veteran Member

2008-09-03, 08:33

iDisk access would be sweet.

As would a Push Gmail service. MobileMe and Yahoo have it. Why not Google?

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-09-03, 09:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
iDisk access would be sweet.

As would a Push Gmail service. MobileMe and Yahoo have it. Why not Google?
Isn't that something that Google has to resolve first? Does Google offer push service with anything?

Jason
Veteran Member

2008-09-03, 09:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
Isn't that something that Google has to resolve first? Does Google offer push service with anything?
Indeed. It is a Google issue. I just wish (given the supposed close ties between the two companies) there might be some sort of iPhone announcement regarding this.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-09-03, 12:25

iLounge has "leaked" dimensions in for the new iPods (the kinds that are leaked to case manufacturers). The new iPod (which they claim looks like the Rose mockup) is 6 millimeters thin. Wow.

They also claim that the iPod touch will share the iPhone 3G's new curvier (and presumably plastic) style, and - like the iPhone 3G - will gain a bit of chubbyness in the process (about half a millimeter around the middle). It'll also get volume controls.

I'd give a link, but it's all over iLounge and presumably your technology webblog of choice, so read about it there.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-09-03, 12:35

Volume controls on the touch would be nice, but I'd rather have a camera or GPS. Without either of those features, I think I'll probably stay very happy with my existing iPod touch for a long time.

Of course, that's not to say that I think Apple will ever add those features. There's no way they filter down until the iPhone gets a few more distinguishing features.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-03, 15:18

The evidence seems to pile up more and more, with each passing day, that the iPod nano design this thread started with is legit. That's good, because a) I believed it from the get-go, fake photo or not, and b) I thought it looked pretty nice all along. Oh, and c) I hate being wrong.

It'll be neat to see in real life, just how small it is (assuming this latest story and the accompanying drawing/dimensions are accurate). That's going to be cute beyond words.

Interesting that in all this "new iPods" and "September 9" talk, the shuffle hasn't come up once. There isn't much you can do to it, past 1GB or so (nobody really wants to "shuffle" through 4-8GB do they?), so beyond...well, colors, I guess it is what it is. But I hope they keep it around and get it as low-priced as possible, strictly for "an easy gift for anyone" reasons, as I hate shopping and thinking about such things too much. So I've got purely selfish reasons for the iPod shuffle to continue.

I gave my little orange one to my friend a year or so ago. Kinda wish I'd held on to it...

Kusakun

2008-09-05, 05:43

What about the iPod Touch? I want a bigger capacity touchcreen iPod.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-09-05, 13:05

Surprised nobody's brought this up yet: iPhone data tethering?

I use NetShare right now, but NetShare is definitely a workaround. Even when plugged in, using it as a 3G modem consumes more battery power than it takes from a wall outlet. In other words, the battery is draining even as its charging.

I imagine this is because the phone is completely on while its tethered. Having to use the WiFi and the 3G and the screen simultaneously has to be the worst possible thing you can do to your battery. Not to mention, the phone gets hot to the touch when you do this for any extended period of time.

Ideally tethering would use Bluetooth and not WiFi, and ideally the screen could be off. A tethering app from Apple could do this.

I'm happy to pay another $30 a month for tethering. For christ sakes, Apple and AT&T, at least give me the option to do so.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2008-09-05 at 13:18.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2008-09-05, 14:18

How about an announced partnership with TomTom (or Garmin), and bringing true turn by turn directions to the iPhone.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-09-05, 14:49

At this point, a $259 160GB iPod Classic, if announced, would probably find its way into my clutches.

That'd be 1/2 of what I paid for a 20GB iPod in Fall '02.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-09-05, 15:01

I could see the shuffle go to 2GB standard (for $49). Or else maybe it will just get new colors, like it did last year. Who knows. The Shuffle is weird, because they upgraded it in the spring, instead of last fall, so it's a bit soon for another upgrade...although, truthfully, a $20 price drop on the 2GB probably wouldn't be the end of the world.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-09-05, 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I could see the shuffle go to 2GB standard (for $49). Or else maybe it will just get new colors, like it did last year. Who knows. The Shuffle is weird, because they upgraded it in the spring, instead of last fall, so it's a bit soon for another upgrade...although, truthfully, a $20 price drop on the 2GB probably wouldn't be the end of the world.
Maybe Apple received a decent RAM price break and decided to pass it on to us (Spring price break).

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-05, 22:22

Cool new story at AppleInsider about new iPod nano, with supposed new "confirmed" pic (but it's been altered to "protect the identity" of the schmo who took it).

My favorite part of the article?

Quote:
The report claims that the new nano is wrapped entirely in aluminum, but that it will come in "more vibrant" colors than the light-tinted models on sale today -- one of which is the coppery orange that was used for the second-generation iPod shuffle.
Me, just two days ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I gave my little orange one to my friend a year or so ago. Kinda wish I'd held on to it...

I thought that was the most awesome color. So pretty. I couldn't believe they only had it on the shuffle, and for just a single cycle. They never brought it to the nano (even when they were all sharing the blue, pink and lime colors). They dropped the ball on that, IMO, because everyone who saw my little orange shuffle thought it was awesome. And their first question to me was "is that color on those nanos too?"

I certainly don't need an iPod, but I'll love seeing that copper orange 4G nano if it's legit. That's gotta be gorgeous...

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-09-05, 23:03

A photo altered to protect the person identity, please. Its a picture of an iPod not a person holding it.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-05, 23:31

I don't get it either. I'm just relaying what the story said. Maybe there was something in the photo that would place the photo, and narrow down the possible photographers and get them in trouble?

I don't know.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-09-06, 02:01

I hope there's a purple nano!

Like orange, it's weird that purple is available on the iPod shuffle, and nothing else. The rest of the colors match, why not orange and purple?

Pscates and I are together on this, just rooting for different colors.

But the new iPod looks nice. And yes, I think that's it.

adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2008-09-06, 05:10

I too love the orange. I have the orange shuffle here, and probably would have bought the nano if it had been available in orange (yes I am that shallow) With my iPhone now though I don't need another iPod.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-06, 08:05

SCHWINGGGGG!!!

Okay, I don't need an iPod, but if that thing is $99 or less I think I can somehow find a way to justify it. Hell, I'll just sit it on my desk or nightstand and look at it.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2008-09-06, 08:19

It looks nicer than I thought it would. Doesn't it always?
Maybe because the screen curve and tapered sides aren't as pronounced as it was in the earlier photos.
But I still don't get how the click wheel works when watching a video horizontally. Do the buttons simply still work the same?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-06, 08:29

I'm sure they do. Probably takes all of four minutes to adjust to, upon first use.

Unless, in typical Apple fashion, they've got it rigged up in such a way that those control labels are "virtual" ones (LEDs or something?), and when you tilt the iPod to the side, the labels rotate 90-degrees as well so it "reads right" when using the thing in horizontal mode? That would be neat, and borrows a neat bit from the iPhone.

If not, the other way will work just fine.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2008-09-06, 09:17

Well another pic has surfaced. This lime green one however seem to be less curvy, but it might be because of the angle it was shot from.

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-09-06, 09:21

It looks very similar to the 2g. I know you've said that already, but would it be that hard to mockup?

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-09-06, 11:38

I still have a perfectly capable 2nd Gen Nano plus an iPhone, but I think I could find a way of passing that one on to someone and picking up that orange one.

It looks wicked.

These are the most convincing pictures I've seen of a model update. I hope it comes out.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.

Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-09-06, 14:52

If that's the orange that's coming out, I'm buying ten... That color is unbelievably incredible.

AWR
Veteran Member

2008-09-06, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
SCHWINGGGGG!!!

Consistently making me howl, Mr. pscates2.0.....

I like that orange, a lot. I'm in the market for my first (real) iPod (classic) (still love and use my white stick 512mb shuffle), to move the music library and more to the car. I suppose there's not much chance in the classic coming in that yumminess.

Nice move giving the orange shuffle away, p. That must of put a smile on someone's face.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-06, 16:37

Well, when I got my iPhone I just couldn't imagine needing (or really using) a 1GB music-only player. I don't regret it (and it went to my best friend and I've got visitation, so it's still "in the family", so to speak).

But she's a runner and a good bit more active/athletic than I'll ever be, so she actually puts it to use.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-09-06, 20:17

You know what? I'm betting the 3G iPod nano sales were somewhat disappointing for Apple.

I know my personal anecdotes are hardly scientific, but I know I haven't seen nearly as many 3G iPod nanos as 2G ones. But there's other clues that the 3G iPod nano wasn't selling quite as well as Apple had hoped.

The biggest one is the delayed introduction of the pink iPod nano. Apple, for whatever reason, got rid of one of the most popular colors at the launch of the iPod nano 3G. And then they brought it back. I think that was an attempt to boost sales of the iPod nano 3G.

I think the public never really considered the shape of the 3G nano to be as attractive as the shape of the 1G/2G, and I think the public didn't really like the lighter pastel colors, either. And it showed. Sales weren't "bad" - this is still the iPod nano we're talking about - but they were down a bit from the previous iPod nano, I'm almost sure of it. Part of that might be because everybody and their mom already has an iPod, but it might be because few really fell in love with the 3G iPod nano, too.

So a return to the form factor and brighter colors that everybody knows and loves, coupled with lower prices (I'm sure they're going to drop the prices, they almost have to, if they're going to drop the price of the iPod touch) should boost sales quite a bit.

iPod shuffle 2GB - $49 (this might wait until Spring)
iPod nano 4GB - $99
iPod nano 8GB - $149
iPod touch 8GB - $199
iPod classic 120/160GB - $249
iPod touch 16GB - $299
(possibly another iPod classic for $349, but I doubt it)
iPod touch 32GB - $399

Not bad at all.