AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

High Efficiency Video Coding

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2012-03-02, 14:10

I'm excited for the next generation of video to replace h.264. It has now been branded

HEVC for short.

Preliminary tests show an improvement over h.264 by as much as 44% depending on the usage scenario.

Quote:
This means that the HEVC codec can achieve the same quality as H.264 with a bitrate saving of around 39-44%.

HEVC is still under development and we might expect to see a further increase in performance from future versions of the draft standard.
So imagine that media downloads of moves now can deliver purchases/rentals of SD movies in under a Gigabyte of data for feature length films or 2-2.5 GB for feature length HD films.

I noticed doing a search that some SoC are already starting to integrate HEVC support into their design so that they will be ready. We also should start looking for the same because HEVC is going to be ratified early 2013 and likely there will be enough new hardware out to start testing the format right away.

People with bandwidth caps or slow connections need a way of accessing downloadable content in the most efficient package as well. Any streaming service that can switch to HEVC will reap huge savings as well.

Plus HEVC supports up to 8K video.

omgwtfbbq
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2012-03-02, 14:28

Big media streamers like Netflix and Apple will be looking to leverage it quickly but it'll take a while for the smaller establishments to hope on board unless data caps for broadband lines begin to be enforced.

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-n...ll-Android-SoC
SoC integration planned in ARM products

Qualcomm Shows off h.265

Impressive

omgwtfbbq
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-03-03, 12:15

Awesome. Wasn't expecting such tremendous improvements so soon (though, to be fair, work on H.264 had started in 1998).
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2012-03-03, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Awesome. Wasn't expecting such tremendous improvements so soon (though, to be fair, work on H.264 had started in 1998).
Yes I had hoped that the development processor for the successor to h.264 was coming faster than its rather lengthy processes. My hope was that by 2015 a new codec
was in place that really compressed things well and these preliminary reports bode well.

I don't have a bad bandwidth cap from Comcast. I believe it's a pretty generous 250GB for a month and they've never complained but that may not last forever. I also think
video content is what's blowing up the iBook Textbooks as well. HTML content is small, 3D isn't that large in small animations. It must be the video content that gets these
Textbooks to balloon up to 2 and 3 GB.

omgwtfbbq