AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Daredevil!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Daredevil!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
addabox
Veteran Member

2015-04-15, 23:18

Hey, how come we aren't talking about this? It rocks! First couple of episodes I was like "yeah, not bad, a little heavy handed maybe...." but once Vincent D'Onofrio shows up it's full on awesome. As has been noted around the web, probably the first series to assume binge watching, so it plays like one long continuous movie. Character development is drawn out, conversations go on for a while, back story is doled out over many hours. Beautifully shot and edited. Fight scenes heavily indebted to the Koreans, with one long single take slug fest in particular seemingly inspired by the hallway of death sequence in Oldboy. Just in general some of the best fight choreography I've ever seen, brutal and visceral and long. Like exhausting long, where he just has to keep hitting guys over and over and they keep getting back up and he's winded and staggered and just keeps fighting till everyone's down. Then he has to go get stitches.

It's "comic book-y" in that the characters and motivations are pretty basic and nothing we haven't seen before, but it really works because the whole production is so rich and dark and well executed. I like the tone better than Nolan's Batman because everything is pitched at a more human level. Bad guys are less extravagantly bad, good guys are less monomaniacal, the stakes are firmly rooted in human suffering and broken bones. In a way the whole show is about violence and the fallout from violence and choices made in the teeth of that violence. Love it.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2015-04-16, 00:21

Just finished it tonight. It was pretty damned fantastic.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2015-04-16, 01:50

Haven't talked about it because I've been too busy watching it! SOOOOOO good! The hidden gems in it for Civil War have me excited, too. I'm sincerely hoping Marvel had contingency plans for if it was massively popular and well-received to accommodate in some way with the other upcoming series. Need me some Heroes For Hire.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2015-04-16, 02:25

Hum, I saw that and kept passing it over. Maybe I'll give it a try now.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2015-04-16, 08:02

3 Episodes in now and plan to continue watching. The hand-to-hand combat scenes are a little overdone / a little to "Matrix" (sans uber-FX) IMO, but all the same interesting characters, interesting plotline so far. I'm not your typical "watch every comic-based movie and show that hits the airwaves" guy by any stretch but gave this one a shot because it's free and because he doesn't seem like the typical uber-hero. And so far I don't regret it.

...into the light of a dark black night.
addabox
Veteran Member

2015-04-16, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
3 Episodes in now and plan to continue watching. The hand-to-hand combat scenes are a little overdone / a little to "Matrix" (sans uber-FX) IMO, but all the same interesting characters, interesting plotline so far. I'm not your typical "watch every comic-based movie and show that hits the airwaves" guy by any stretch but gave this one a shot because it's free and because he doesn't seem like the typical uber-hero. And so far I don't regret it.
See, the fight scenes struck me as exactly the opposite of Matrix style wire work and quick cuts, which is why they're so compelling. I actually think the fight scenes are the center of the series, in a way.

They tend to play out in extended single cuts, with Daredevil's skills limited to plausibly human martial arts spins and kicks, parkour-style use of whatever's about to get strategic position, and (most of all) just sheer fucking endurance. The show's theme could be "it's not how you go down but how you get up", and when Daredevil fights, he goes down a lot. Probably because he's typically fighting 6 or more guys, who have this irritating habit of failing to cinematically lose consciousness the first time they're punched. Or the second or third time for that matter. DD just has to keep pounding away, taking damage all the while, and it takes a surprisingly long time to get all of his opponents on the deck for good.

The net effect, for me anyway, is that these fights feel real in a way superhero fights never do. It's like you happened across a brawl in an alley, and you can tell one guy is a really good fighter, but he's also really outnumbered, so the outcome is a tossup. And then you think, Jesus, that guy can really take a lot of punishment. It's like "taking punishment and getting back up" is DD's actual superpower.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
¡Damned!

2015-04-16, 13:23

Man, could Kevin Feige be any better at his job?

Ultron hype is kinda working in reverse on me… the more I hear about it the more I'm sure I won't be seeing it in its first couple of weeks. I will, of course, at the theatre proper, but I love this stuff and I'm not as excited as I think I should be.

MNU* on the other hand, I'm fucking psyched about. I. Can't. Wait. for Jessica Jones. If Daredevil can be this gritty and dark, oh my shit. It gets worse. wtf David Tennant wtf

I'm so happy about D'Onofrio; he's such a presence and so great in general – he just blows this up.

* Marvel/Netflix Universe, mang

So it goes.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2015-04-17, 03:36

Its 1:34AM on a work day and I'm blaming allll you guys. You should all.... ohh autoplay... BRB.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2015-04-18, 23:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
See, the fight scenes struck me as exactly the opposite of Matrix style wire work and quick cuts, which is why they're so compelling. I actually think the fight scenes are the center of the series, in a way.

They tend to play out in extended single cuts, with Daredevil's skills limited to plausibly human martial arts spins and kicks, parkour-style use of whatever's about to get strategic position, and (most of all) just sheer fucking endurance. The show's theme could be "it's not how you go down but how you get up", and when Daredevil fights, he goes down a lot. Probably because he's typically fighting 6 or more guys, who have this irritating habit of failing to cinematically lose consciousness the first time they're punched. Or the second or third time for that matter. DD just has to keep pounding away, taking damage all the while, and it takes a surprisingly long time to get all of his opponents on the deck for good.

The net effect, for me anyway, is that these fights feel real in a way superhero fights never do. It's like you happened across a brawl in an alley, and you can tell one guy is a really good fighter, but he's also really outnumbered, so the outcome is a tossup. And then you think, Jesus, that guy can really take a lot of punishment. It's like "taking punishment and getting back up" is DD's actual superpower.

I definitely agree with you that they feel more geniune than Matrix fights (which is what I meant by "minus the uber-FX"). And the abuse he takes definitely lends authenticity. However some fights are very... Kung-fu-y sort of fights that happen very fast and though I understand he's supposed to have heightened senses, blind is blind ya know? Some of the moves he pulls, I can't get there. It's pretty close to distracting. Maybe if he lost a fight here or there, you know maybe accidentally punches a wall and breaks a couple knuckles and has to retreat or something (cuz let's face it -- that would happen to him fairly often), and did fewer super-spinny-I'm-blind-but-I'm-gonna-break-dance-and-kick-your-teeth-out type moves, maybe... but it's not so bad that I would stop watching. I just think they're a bit over the top for who he is supposed to be.

That and sorry man... blind guy against 6 guys. Unless the 6 guys are all completely retarded / unable to think their way out of a paper bag, he's going to lose that fight. The only exception I can find to that was when he broke into that kidnapper safe house and caught those guys off guard and sorta used the bottlenecks of the doors to his advantage so they couldn't all close on him at the same time (not more than 2 at a time essentially). That was a very cool fight scene and about as believable as you can get for the powers he's supposed to have. Anything beyond that stretches the limits of plausibility even for a super hero.

addabox
Veteran Member

2015-04-19, 00:08

Yeah, but that's the thing-- he's not really "blind", not in the way that would be a disability in a fight. His eyes don't work, but everything else gives him a composite picture of his environment. He knows exactly where everybody is when he's fighting them, can anticipate when they're going to move by subtle changes in breathing and heartbeat, knows where the people out of sight are (even when they're a considerable distance away), knows the layout of his surrounding better than anyone else, etc. Plus, he's typically fighting in very low light situations, so he actually has a huge advantage, since he doesn't have to rely on ambient illumination to keep track.

Same deal as when he's running around leaping from building to building or parkour-ing up fire escapes. He knows where everything is, plus a lot more information based on heat and smell and sound and, I dunno, bat senses or something.

Sure, it's all hand wavy comic book magic pretending to be "realer" than the average super hero, but that's the Daredevil character. The blindness is slightly inconvenient at times but in no way a liability.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2015-04-19, 22:43

The comics call it "radar sense." It's very much a way to see, in addition to the other things he can do. The comments Stick makes regarding being able to smell and taste the individual ingredients in things like ice cream are telling, or when Matt says he can tell someone rinsed their hair from his faucet - he can tell the individual differences in what scents come from his pipes in comparison to others. Same thing with his level of hearing, his sense of touch (in the comics, he can feel the ink on a page to read in some scenarios), etc. For him to be able to fight the way he does with the skills he has is a true representation, as is the exhaustion one would likely feel in such a fight. As for some of the hits he takes and being able to get back up, that's more the character than reality, same as Fisk (who in the comics is 98% muscle mass, for reference sake).

Ryan
Veteran Member

2015-04-21, 23:14

Since I'm enjoying my funemployment I've been marathoning shows on Netflx. I finished MASH yesterday and started on Daredevil.

Damn.

This may be one of the best properties to come out of the MCU yet. Definitely better than Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter. Being on Netflix lets the producers take a far more serious tone (AoS wasn't bad but it wasn't great either due to its placement on ABC—it still had to pander to a primetime audience. NCIS: Los Angeles with more toys).

I've really been enjoying most of the MCU. I love the ambition of building such a gargantuan franchise spanning decades but then I'm a sucker for Doctor Who and I'm still disappointed Sufjan Stevens didn't complete his 50 state album project, so there's that.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2015-04-29, 22:20

Just watched a couple more. Wasn't real impressed with the Scott Glenn episode (time has not treated that man well -- I always think of his character from the Right Stuff so it's weird seeing him a wrinkly bag of bones). Anyway that episode had a lot of bad acting (or maybe it was just a bad script). But on the other hand... I think Fisk is an interesting villain. It's almost difficult to dislike him on some levels. The Chinese heroin queen too -- her little speech at Fisk's home was choice. Unexpected. As long as the show keeps doing that I'll keep watching.

Eugene
careful with axes

2015-04-30, 01:27

To be fair, I don't think Glenn has ever been as buff as he was in The Right Stuff. My name Jose Jimenez...

Agreed that the role was pretty weak. I also feel D'Onofrio over-indulged in his portrayal of Kingpin just a tiny bit. We needed just enough fluff to empathize with him slightly, and got a borderline soap opera instead.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2015-05-02, 19:11

I don't mean buff (which makes no difference to me) so much as... he looks like he's a 118 years old. I'm going go with the Keith Richards theory -- too many drugs and nights partying turned Glenn into something almost unrecognizable.

But yeah. The Right Stuff is an all-time classic. The one-liners in that movie are the kind of thing you don't see generally in movies any longer.

"NO??! Whaddya mean.... NO?! *pounds card door* Isn't there ANYONE who can deal with a housewife?!!"

Even better, I do that to my wife occasionally. I'll ask her something I know she'll say "no" to (but which she should undeniably say yes to in service to her man)... wait for her response and then do my best Lyndon Johnson from the Right Stuff impression (just not the car door part).

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2015-05-02, 19:27

When they showed Stick's face, I IM'd a friend "HOLY SHIT IT'S DAVID FUCKING CARRADINE!"

Immediately followed by "Wait. Dammit."

Mssr. Scott hopefully won't find his happy ending at the end of a rope.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2015-05-02, 19:36

Sacrilege! Nice job, Kick. You have wrongfully invoked the name of Kwai Chang Caine. What's next -- you going to buy up all the remaining copies of Billy Jack and burn them? I hope you begged the Flying Bucatini Bowl for mercy.

"Do not feel sad. You are not the only one who takes my name in vane."

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2015-05-02, 21:53

Oh c'mon, you *KNOW* that's what they were going for...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2015-05-03, 14:27

Loved the show, except for, oddly enough, the season finale.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-07-19, 01:31

I may be one of the last of our crew to see this show, but I finished it last night and found it to be the best origins tale I've ever seen, primarily due to its attempt to remain as grounded in reality as possible.

D'Onofrio's performance was stellar.

For a pudgy guy Froggy sure pulls some tail.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-07-19, 21:42

I'm actually watching the series now. I'm about half way through I think. Not sure which episode I'm on really, I just choose the next one Netfix says I should watch.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2016-03-15, 17:23

Season 2 Hype

Daredevil Trailer Part 1
Daredevil Trailer Part 2

Punisher! Elektra! The Hand!

Netflix Marvel is as good as it gets.

Last edited by 709 : 2016-03-15 at 21:04.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2016-03-24, 13:55

Season 2 was so hit-and-miss. The whole "Hand" thing was messy. So much unexplained stuff going on. In fact, ultimately, probably way too much going on in general.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2016-03-24, 15:08

I haven't seen it yet, but sounds like I'm not missing out on much vs. chewing through all of Parks and Rec.
Dr. Bobsky

2016-03-24, 15:16

yeah... i think we may be seeing the top end limit of Netflix's studio's ability to produce good drama...
Ryan
Veteran Member

2016-03-24, 18:16

Definitely muddled. Seems like perhaps the upcoming plot of The Defenders maybe forced them to shoehorn the Stick/Elektra storyline?

Would've been just fine if the entire season was about the Punisher with the final episodes bringing Kingpin back to lead into season 3.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2016-03-25, 00:58

Wasn't as good as season 1, but I still enjoyed it. There's a lot of ground to cover with what they are ultimately wanting to set up, and I think we just saw the limiting factor of 13 episodes.

Dr. Bobsky

2016-03-25, 13:17

I don't think more episodes is the solution. The whole Elektra/The Hand arc dragged on for far too long. What was also apparent was how much of the first season was made by D'Onofrio's performance. I mean, that man can act. I think it would have been better if they chose one set of villains. My guess is Elektra/The Hand would have been preferred -- they could have pushed the Punisher sequence and Kingpen's appearance to the end... Obviously the trial would have been delayed to next season....
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-03-25, 22:29

I'm still watching it right now. So far I am to where Matt and Electra are in a building with someone about to attack them. So tomorrow I'll get to watch episode 6 and a few more too.

I was surprised to hear about Jessica Jones in a conversation with Foggy and the other lawyer girl. So now that I haven't seen that series I am going to have to watch it too. For now, I'll get through this season of Daredevil first and then Jessica Jones after it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

2016-03-26, 08:33

JJ season 1 is definitely better than Daredevil season 2. Then again, so is Dd season 1.