Apple Watch (2019)
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2019-09-10, 12:45

new Apple Watch series 5
  • innovative display that is always on so the watch face is always visible
  • LTPO display that can refresh dynamically
  • auto-brighten to full view when you raise your wrist but will still be optimized to be readable in the dimmer always on mode
  • new cases made from 100% recycled aluminium
  • new colors for aluminium (silver, gold, space grey), and stainless steel (gold, space black, polished)
  • titanium model (brushed silver and space black), and ceramic (in white)
  • price: $399 (GPS), $499 (GPS+Cell)

Sidenote: series 3 sticking around at $199!

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-10, 12:48

Black Titanium....
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-09-10, 13:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Black Titanium....
I'll definitely be all over that next cycle.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-09-10, 13:26

Series 3 at $199 is an excellent deal, actually. (At the same time, it's a typical Apple marketing move where they kill the compromise I was hoping for — I'd have happily paid $299 for the Series 4 instead!)

Did not see always-on coming. Fascinating that the rumor mill had absolutely nothing about this display tech.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2019-09-10, 13:32

Always on display? That's a shocker. And probably enough for me to upgrade from my Series 4. I didn't think this would happen until next year at the earliest.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-10, 13:36

I use my Watch for workouts all the time and I have to admit it is really compelling for always on. I would have never thought about it had my trainer not added planks to my routine. Hard to tap the screen while struggling to keep your body straight.

I really wish they would add pulse oximeter to the Watches. I'm sure it isn't as easy and I want it to be, but it would be really nice to have that logged.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-09-10, 13:40

Quote:
I really wish they would add pulse oximeter to the Watches. I'm sure it isn't as easy and I want it to be, but it would be really nice to have that logged.
Hm.

Activity in iOS 13 has "VO2MAX" — is that not the same thing? Or did they add that as a trend despite not having a sensor of their own?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-10, 13:46

They use math to figure out your VO2 max. This is not the same as the pulse oximeter. I'm sure it would kill the battery to continuously update the O2 saturation, it would be nice if it even updated it every 5 minutes or whatever the normal heart rate increase it.

I have friends with lung issues and think about O2 more now thanks to them.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-10, 14:21

I'm looking through the site for Watch Edition and I think I actually really like the regular titanium better than the blackened one. The black one looks more like a roughed up aluminum. It isn't what I was expecting. I think I'm going to have to see them in person to really make the call. I just hope they don't try to rob me since it's called Edition.

chucker

2019-09-10, 14:28

I'm not sure I want to be the guinea pig but I'm actually really tempted to just order the Series 5.

(I'm on a Series 0, so.)
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-09-10, 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Hm.

Activity in iOS 13 has "VO2MAX" — is that not the same thing? Or did they add that as a trend despite not having a sensor of their own?
VO₂Max is a training term for a certain heart rate zone/training intensity.
chucker

2019-09-10, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
VO₂Max is a training term for a certain heart rate zone/training intensity.
Oh, so it has nothing to do with bloody oxygen? The "O2" kinda threw me off.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-09-10, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Oh, so it has nothing to do with bloody oxygen? The "O2" kinda threw me off.
It does but it's the max volume of oxygen that your heart can pump based on your max heart rate.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-10, 15:26

So I was able to see pricing for the Titanium at normal pricing and it's only $800 for the one I want. I was actually expecting it to be closer to the ceramic pricing of $1300. I'm looking forward to it being in the Vet/military section so I can actually get the discount on it. I like my series 3, but getting the Sport model was bad for me.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-09-10, 21:54

I wonder how scratch prone the titanium watch will be. The Tudor Pelagos is made of titanium and is a scratch magnet. It's also oddly light for such a pricey watch. I will probably wait to decide what I want but that black titanium with black link bracelet is drool-worthy.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-11, 09:15

The site talks about having a coating on them to protect them so I would assume they would be fairly durable. My old titanium watch handled really well even with shipboard life. The glass on the front though, not so much. This version should be solid but really only time will tell.

I would have placed my order already but the site for vets doesn't work for Watch Edition yet. Only series 5. I don't want stainless when I can have titanium. Even if it's only 10% savings, that's still money I don't have to give Apple.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2019-09-11, 10:34

Kind of wish Apple would work on improving the battery life, still only 18 hours with a 5th gen product, rather than making it thinner.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-09-11, 12:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Kind of wish Apple would work on improving the battery life, still only 18 hours with a 5th gen product, rather than making it thinner.
I don't know where that 18 hour number comes from. I have the series 4 and I can regularly get 1.5 days even with tracking a workout or 2 in that time. It's more than enough for a full day.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2019-09-11, 12:16

Apple’s website, they rate it for 18 hours.
chucker

2019-09-11, 13:12

The Watch is too fat. Its battery life also needs to improve, yes, but its dimensions just aren’t attractively slim yet. You mostly don’t notice while wearing, but from the side, it’s very clearly not ideal.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-11, 14:31

I would agree on the Watch being fat but given I came from wearing G-Shock watches this is fairly small even at 42mm. My dress watches were smaller, but I didn't wear them as often.

I will say my Series 3 still gets about 36 hours or so on a charge and that is with two workouts in there too.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2019-09-15, 05:01

Debating if I want to jump from my Fitbit to an Apple Watch. I only need to charge my Fitbit weekly, which is pretty nice when traveling since I don't even need to pack its charger on short trips.

I was waiting for the 5 to see if any of its features made the decision for me. Maybe I'll just keep waiting for the 6.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-17, 13:34

The battery life is the one real downside to Apple Watch. I don't mind charging every other day but I also don't travel much at all anymore. If I did, I would end up using my Watch less and less because it gets cumbersome having to keep it charged. At home I swap between my original Watch and my Series 3.

At this point I'm still looking forward to seeing the Watches in person. I lean toward the black still though.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-09-17, 13:41

Quote:
The battery life is the one real downside to Apple Watch. I don't mind charging every other day but I also don't travel much at all anymore. If I did, I would end up using my Watch less and less because it gets cumbersome having to keep it charged. At home I swap between my original Watch and my Series 3.

At this point I'm still looking forward to seeing the Watches in person. I lean toward the black still though.
Oddly, I prefer a device that needs to be charged nightly to one that can go several days between charges. If it's part of my daily routine, I'm far less likely to forget to do it. It's no skin off my nose to just to drop my watch on the charger at night or when I jump in the shower.

It is another cable to remember to bring and that's a PITA. There's no other way to put it. The convenience outweighs the downside. This is the only reason I'd ever use the reverse charging thing that was rumored.