AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Alex Trebek has died at 80

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Alex Trebek has died at 80
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-12, 12:40

They missed their bets by not getting Will Ferrell.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-08-12, 12:48

MUSTARD is made with Mustard Seeds.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-08-20, 09:40

And now Mike Richards is out: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...ut-1234999713/

Which is good. Not because he made some off-colour remarks on a podcast forever ago, but because it was obvious abuse-of-position entitled bullshit that he gave himself the job in the first place. Just give the Job to LeVar, man!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-20, 10:06

You can't be serious. Did you watch his episodes? It's almost as though the guy had never been on TV (which shocked me, because I know damn well he has! ). He was horrible. I figured, between his long, successful acting career and all those years doing that reading show on PBS, that being in front of a camera came as naturally to him as anything. Like falling off a long, as they say.

There were others who did a far better job who should be considered first. I can't stand the man, but Anderson Cooper wasn't sputtering and stammering and forgetting which camera to look into, etc. There are 3-4 others who should be given consideration well before Mr. Burton.

And if those 3-4 don't pan out, for whatever reason, then sure...give it to LeVar and he'll grow into it and smooth out and probably make a fine host once he finds his groove/comfort level (because he's no stranger to that type of thing). But he certainly didn't automatically earn the gig based on what I saw.

I was expecting him to be the best of the bunch, just because he has so much onscreen/hosting/presenting experience. I was kinda stunned. Nerves? Rushed/lack of prep time? All legit reasons, but he was still far from the best and I wouldn't give it to him without considering a few others first. Funny thing is, the show isn't live. They could've reshot some of that stuff, but maybe that would mess with the flow or outcome and raise questions of fairness, etc.? I think all those fill-in hosts were thrown to the wolves and most of them did pretty well, considering. Including Richards.

But, in 2021, God forbid you're not perfect and without a blemish of some sort (oh, you can have them, you just better be sure they point in the right direction or are able to be overlooked by Twitter).

I thought that guy from Dirty Jobs, Mike Rowe, might make a good host. Good personality, voice, seems like he's got a brain in his head. And I still think Brooke Burns (don't laugh) would hold her own. She's hosted two other quiz/trivia shows (The Chase and Master Minds) and even if she looks it, she doesn't come across as a stereotypical "dumb blonde". She paired nicely with The Beast and Ken Jennings was a regular panelist on Master Minds, so she's used to being around that type of person/player, and she did a great job on both of those shows, reading some pretty complex questions and never stumbling, always pleasant with the contestants and, yes...quite easy on the eyes (let's not lie...that factors in too, even if people like to say it doesn't).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-08-20 at 10:22.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-08-20, 10:29

Fair enough - it was more a nod to the "mood of the public" than an assessment of performance.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-20, 10:49

Right. But sometimes performance has to factor in too I wish he’d just had a stronger, more solid showing and decisively clinched the job to where everyone was like “well of course…”.

I have no doubt he’d settle in a make a fine host, should they offer him the job. We’ve all had shaky auditions or first week on t he job.

Something tells me he winds up with it. Remember you heard it here…
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-20, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
We’ve all had shaky auditions or first week on t he job.
Why haven't you applied, yet? What, you got some naughties in the closet holding you back?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-20, 10:57

Bazillions. Closet? My skeletons would fill a dump truck.

I’ve said, and joked about, everything at one point. I’ve inhaled, I’ve fornicated, I lack the Woke™️ gene, I’m short on patience, I can’t control my eye-rolling, etc. I’m the last person that needs to be hosting a game show.

“Good grief, are your brains in your titties? Is that how you got on the show? Where was I?”

I wouldn’t last four seconds of Twitter scrutiny. To that crowd, I’m surely the devil himself.

…and I couldn’t be more proud of the fact.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-20, 11:11

Quote:
Bazillions. Closet? My skeletons would fill a dump truck.

I’ve said, and joked about, everything at one point. I’ve inhaled, I’ve fornicated, I lack the Woke™️ gene, I’m short on patience, I can’t control my eye-rolling, etc. I’m the last person that needs to be hosting a game show.

“Good grief, are your brains in your titties? Is that how you got on the show? Where was I?”

I wouldn’t last four seconds of Twitter scrutiny. To that crowd, I’m surely the devil himself.

…and I couldn’t be more proud of the fact.
If I ever get to Banjo-land, we're gonna have to have a beer! Probably get kicked out of, like, everywhere!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-20, 11:18

My two favorite little dive pubs didn’t survive the COVID thing (they both went under), so I’ll have to find a new place.

Sucks when you have a neighborhood joint (everyone truly does know your name!) and it goes away.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-08-20 at 14:54.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-20, 11:40

My two favorite places are still around. Sockeye Brewing was around for some time pre-pandemic, and they've made it so far. 3-Wood Pizza opened last year right as the mess was going, but they've survived on really great pizza and a good beer menu, coupled with really cool owners and great staff, even if a bit short-staffed. But who isn't?

Bonus: 3-Wood is walking distance from the house.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-08-20, 14:53

The show clearly needs another Canadian host.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-23, 17:14

Jeopardy! gig is now Ken Jennings' "to lose".

So we're back to where we started, and where we probably should've been all along. I hope he gets it, if it's truly between him and all the others they've been letting guest host since spring.

He should've gotten it in the first place, honestly. He did a fine job during those 2-3 weeks he hosted earlier this year and it makes far more sense than anyone else (including Blossom, Geordi, the football guy, certainly Dr. Oz, Little Andy Cooper, Katie Couric, George Snuffleupagus and all the rest).

When you think of Jeopardy!, the first person who crosses your mind is Alex Trebek. The second is Ken Jennings. That's just true. He was always my first choice, followed by Richards (oops), Cooper, Bialik and, as a wild card, that Buzzy Cohen/Buddy Holly time traveler (who was a former champion and, at the very least, is kinda telegenic/looks the part).

Many of those folks - Cooper, Oz, Robin Roberts, etc. - already have a regular job/gig so I'm guessing they were never a serious contender and just there to fill in for a week (but maybe with the way these shows are filmed, they could've managed to work it in somehow). But it was probably always down to Jennings, Richards and 1-2 more.

Only thing is, if they ditched Richards for his past remarks, then Ken Jennings has also been a bit of an asshole on Twitter and other places too (fat jokes, questioning someone's intelligence, being a bit of a socially-retarded twerp with some less-than-P.C. pronouncements...none of which is gonna fly with that same crowd who demanded Mike Richards walk the plank). So, depending on what he said (and who it was said to/about) he likely won't pass Twitter muster either.

This is such a 2021 thing...holding up production on a classic, beloved show that has run like clockwork for nearly four decades because the perfect person, who's never stepped in it (or has accidentally been a human on occasion) can't be found.

Just design a robot - a gay woman-of-color robot, if that'll help move things along by checking a few important boxes right upfront, who has never had a Twitter account (because that seems to be where everyone gets tripped up...that joke or opinion/comment you re-Tweeted or "liked" in 2009 has just been waiting to pop back up and create a problem) - and hire her/them/it/whatever-the-fuck-you-call-a-robot and let's get on with it already.

Because at this point, I'm thinking no human stands a shot.

I'll be honest...I assumed Alex made his wishes known 1-2 years ago (if not before, even before he got sick) about who should succeed him as host, and that it would be a known, done deal long before he died (or stepped down), and that the new host would already be many months in on the job. I can't believe it's still being worked on, and delaying production on the new season. Did nobody put any sort of "when the inevitable finally happens" plan in place, for a smooth, seamless and respectful transition, long before July/August 2021?! The man died 10+ months ago, and he went public with his illness way back in March of 2019, nearly two-and-a-half years ago. What have they been doing for ~30 months, other than choosing the wrong host who managed to lose the gig in less than two weeks?

Weird times. I would've never expected this drama/silliness from this show. Real Housewives of Cedar Rapids? Sure. Who Wants to Marry a Bank Teller? Absolutely. Guy Fieri Presents: Three Sub-Literate Assholes in a Cake-Baking Contest? You bet. But not Jeopardy!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-08-23 at 18:58.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-27, 16:15

...and here we go. Again.

Gonna lean into the last four paragraphs of my previous post even harder now.

Because it's obvious to me that Blossom, despite the presence of a vagina, isn't gonna hang onto the gig either. They'll be coming after her now, and she'll step down by the middle of next week. Just watch.

"It is with great sadness that I must...".
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-27, 16:26

For context, I don't watch Jeopardy, and have never once seen anything more than 5 or 10 minutes of any one episode, and that only maybe twice. But I totally get the fandom around the show. I mean, it's been around for ever! What's been here longer besides The Price Is Right and Family Feud? And The Simpsons?

You clearly already know this, Paul, but woke culture has made replacing Alex Trebek an impossible task. Social media is going to dig up the tiniest of dirt specs on whoever gets dropped into that role, and the producers are going to drop anyone who doesn't possess absolutely 100% perfect human character*, which is a thing that does not—and cannot—exist. Were Alex Trebek not so deeply rooted in that role (and he apparently kept himself clean-ish) he, too, would be ousted, because some whining snivel-bottom would dig up something—anything—from his past in order to get him canceled (and, honestly, I'm surprised this hasn't already happened).

It's going to be a shit-show for the foreseeable future. There just isn't anyone woke enough to fill the role. There will always be something.

As far as this statement is concerned:

Quote:
I'll be honest...I assumed Alex made his wishes known 1-2 years ago (if not before, even before he got sick) about who should succeed him as host, and that it would be a known, done deal long before he died (or stepped down), and that the new host would already be many months in on the job. I can't believe it's still being worked on, and delaying production on the new season. Did nobody put any sort of "when the inevitable finally happens" plan in place, for a smooth, seamless and respectful transition, long before July/August 2021?! The man died 10+ months ago, and he went public with his illness way back in March of 2019, nearly two-and-a-half years ago. What have they been doing for ~30 months, other than choosing the wrong host who managed to lose the gig in less than two weeks?
Look to the example of Steve Jobs, who selected his replacement, groomed him, and made sure he was 100% ready—and that the world was 100% ready—so that when Jobs went, the replacement was already … in place. Fortunately for Tim Cook, woke cancel-culture wasn't a thing, yet, or he, too, would have been cast aside simply because he didn't have the right body parts, or he had the wrong skin color, or some other holier-than-thou, racist, bigoted, intolerant diadem woke-folk rely on for their identity.

* Within the context of woke culture, this is even more impossible than it is for mind-healthy, normal people, because human character, itself, cannot be nailed down to the satisfaction of the woke gods.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-08-27 at 16:39.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-27, 16:36

Believe me, I'm fully aware of all this.

PS - Tim Cook was never in any trouble.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-08-31, 12:08

Mike Richards is out from both Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. Sounds like he was fired by Sony.
¡Damned!

2021-08-31, 12:35

Well they fully fucked up the transition and tarnished the show in the process. Great job Sony Management.

They'll have to beg Jennings to take the job now, just to regain some legacy cred.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-31, 13:12

Of course.

And, honestly, I kinda hope Jennings a) tells them where to go, and b) what to do to themselves once they arrive.

The man has nothing to lose, or prove, at this point. He knows he ain't getting the gig because he told a fat joke once. So that gives one wonderful freedom to embrace the IDGAF mindset.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-08-31, 13:49

Well it is Sony, the same clown car that wanted Spidey to humblebrag.

Is there any company in Hollywood as adept at rake-stepping as these guys?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-31, 15:08

In a weird way - and, at this point, I actually wouldn't even mind it - it would be cool if this show, post-Trebek, just collapsed in on itself via stupidity/missteps and whatever else is at play.

Maybe he was the show, more than Sony (or fans/viewers) wanted to admit?

I know my interest/desire to watch has submarined throughout 2021, and especially in recent weeks. If nothing else, I can say I watched from my high school days in the 80's through Trebek's last filmed episodes. A nice, long 35+ year run. No, not every single episode/week. But, all together, a good 60-70%, I'd estimate. Maybe even more like 75-80%? Way more than not, for sure. Whenever I moved to a new place (SoCal, Virginia, Nashville, back to Chattanooga, etc.) or when I've vacationed/traveled anywhere (New Orleans, Kansas City, South Carolina, DC, etc.), the first thing I always did (since it's syndicated and not tied to any one network or time slot) was find out what time/channel Jeopardy! came on, locally. And, more often that not, I'd work my afternoon or evening around those 30 minutes.

The only show I've ever done that with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Well it is Sony, the same clown car that wanted Spidey to humblebrag.
I don't understand this sentence/reference. Which Spider-Man, and in what way? I kinda know what humblebrag means, but don't get which Spider-Man movie(s)/actor it's about.

The thing I always find interesting/amusing in these sorts of scenarios...all these media companies - movie studios, TV shows, etc., in their efforts to appease/placate a vocal sliver of malcontents and offense artisans, always - always - wind up pissing off/alienating far more actual viewers/fans in the end. Sony will never please the pearl-clutchers and handwringers, no matter what (it's impossible). But, because they'll dutifully twist themselves into pretzels for months and months trying to do so (so nobody calls them bad names on Twitter), they'll risk alienating/losing longtime, loyal viewers and fans who don't have the patience for this silliness.

Happens every time.

Dance with the one who brought you.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-08-31 at 15:59.
¡Damned!

2021-08-31, 16:04

Quote:
I don't understand this sentence/reference. Which Spider-Man, and in what way? I kinda know what humblebrag means, but don't get which Spider-Man movie(s)/actor it's about.
From the leaked Sony emails back in 2015. Sony exec giving then-Sony-Chair Amy Pascal his notes on how to get the 'Millennials' more hyped on Spidey:

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-31, 16:23

Oh that's right. I think I read those (might've even been here). But they were so stupid I must've blocked them from my memory.

There's your studio execs, folks. When they're not chasing Gwyneth Paltrow naked around a billiards table, they're writing emails like this with a straight face.

I'd buy/read a book of nothing but this sort of stuff, if only to confirm everything I've ever thought/believed about what probably goes on during the production of high-profile, tentpole properties and summer/holiday blockbusters. I'd possibly give my left nut to see emails between Kathleen Kennedy and JJ Abrams in that 2015-2019 timeframe.

"Kathy, none of these notes you sent make any sense. - JJ"

"JJ, Have you seen these fans? I don't think they have to. PS - Do we own any of the Battlestar Galactica shit, because I have a cool idea... - KK"

"Can I quit? Please? - JJ"

"Do so and you can kiss that Jaws remake goodbye. I'll make it my mission to see you never get to pretend you're George or Steven again! And I'll take back every one of those flannel shirts...you try me if you think I'm playing! - KK"

"More pew-pew-pew, I take it? - JJ"

"More pew-pew-pew. Good boy. PS - we still need a lot more incoherency in that third act. - KK"

"On it! - JJ"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-17, 16:50

Or, you know...maybe forever?

Get on it with guys, this isn't cute/interesting anymore. You took the long way around the bend just to circle back to the first person you should've offered it to from the start. Maybe you did, and maybe he declined.

Ask again? Couldn't hurt.

You're going to screw around and lose the remaining fan-base if you don't pull it together and settle all this. Jeopardy! folks typically aren't your Bachelorette/America's Got Talent/Real Housewives of... crowd/viewers, meaning they're not amused/impressed by, or fans of, moronic drama and endless handwringing spurred on by Twittiot Nation. They love their nightly 30 minutes of horseshit-free trivia and learning. And they're being denied this because some people can't figure out how to go about hiring a host.

So knock it off already, fire up production and get the show back on track before people realize they no longer really care enough to bother.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-17 at 17:12.