AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Movie Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Movie Thread
Page 91 of 91 First Previous 87 88 89 90 [91]  Thread Tools
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2021-09-09, 10:43

Thank you for posting that. I am officially pleased that this season will not be devoid of anything fun.

I absolutely loved the Matrix — and still do.

I love the choreography, the fight scenes, the larger-than-life super-hero abilities that have purpose and meaning — and explanation! I loved the concept and the imagination that went into the story, although the ending was a bit hard to swallow and has left me wanting it resolved somehow.

I, too, had heard rumors, but until now they were just pesky rumors.

Oh, and I love Keanu Reeves in that role. It perfectly suits his acting style. He's rather plain otherwise. Bill & Ted, John Wick, Neo. Those roles have all been perfect for him, and he's made them all believable.

Fun stuff.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-09, 12:09

This movie thread hates me right now. At least my browser. I try to do links and such and it just freezes the tab. So now you get the short unformatted version:

The fact that the Wachowskis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wachowskis) changed their names and aren't brothers anymore made me think this whole thing was a farce and a horribly long drawn out prank.

Still, I'm looking forward to watching it for many of the same reason you have. I'm also hesitant because
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Other than better CGI than the originals, this just feels like a forced reboot, yuck.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
pscates2.0
Mr. Katan

2021-09-09, 13:05

I do love those John Wick movies, especially that first one (I don't think I've ever rooted against the bad guys harder in any other movie; every one of them deserved what they got for that puppy) . I heard there's a fourth one of those in the works as well.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-09-09, 14:11

Indeed, he does play those rolls well. Enjoyed John Wick thoroughly.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-09, 14:40

I keep meaning to watch the John Wick movies but haven't stopped to yet. I really should.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

Send a message via AIM to Yontsey Send a message via Skype™ to Yontsey 
2021-09-09, 14:41

They're fantastic.
pscates2.0
Mr. Katan

2021-09-09, 14:52

Good, solid fun. One of those movies like Taken, The Equalizer or anything starring Jason Statham...sometimes some people just need killing, and the above do it in fun, entertaining ways.

I don't apologize for that; some real shitheads in the world, and if they'r cinematic counterparts buy it in some stylish, well-shot ways, then I'm gonna watch.

Total popcorn stuff, but Wick has a great look/style to it and the body count is satisfying (in light of who it is/why it's happening).
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2021-09-09, 14:58

The cool thing about John Wick is how it just keeps escalating. Every time somebody dies, somebody else gets involved until half the planet is getting shot.

It's fun, and I love the whole "hotel" system. Good fun.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2021-09-09, 15:42

Speaking of, Crank turned 15 this past week. That and its sequel Crank: High Voltage are two of my absolute favorite crazed popcorn films. Just bonkers, but hilarious.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-09-09, 17:11

I feel the same way about Guy Ritchie.
pscates2.0
Mr. Katan

2021-09-10, 03:15

Re: that Matrix trailer…where’s Laurence Fishburne?! Read one article that says his character was killed in a video game “sequel” in the early 2000’s that is considered canon, and another where Mr. Fishburne says he “wasn’t invited”, and that the reason is “ask the director”.

There is a Morpheus-like character all throughout the trailer - a bald black man in funky sunglasses acting all solemn/deep and who seems to Know Some Shit - so I’m not sure what’s going on. Which, honestly, seems to be the main point of these trippy, ridiculous movies.

If that is Morpheus, or some version of him, why would you not have Fishburne back, who was just as big/prominent in those movies as Reeves and Moss?

Or are they holding back that surprise reveal and everyone’s playing dumb/coy when asked about his absence in the trailer?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-10, 08:39

Was was wondering about the Fishburne thing too. I assumed he just didn't want to be a part of a 4th film but never looked into it. If he was killed in a game that is "canon" then it would make sense they treat him like the Oracle and replace him with someone else.

It will be odd not seeing him in the film otherwise. I mean, as an actor he doesn't look like he's overly old or anything. He still looks very much like he could play the part.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2021-09-10, 09:06

I thought that Neo and Trinity died in the last movie too, so that goes to show how much I remember about that. 🤷‍♂️ (I haven't watched the trailer yet) well that didn't explain a damn thing :/

So it goes.
pscates2.0
Mr. Katan

2021-09-10, 09:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Was was wondering about the Fishburne thing too. I assumed he just didn't want to be a part of a 4th film but never looked into it. If he was killed in a game that is "canon" then it would make sense they treat him like the Oracle and replace him with someone else.

It will be odd not seeing him in the film otherwise. I mean, as an actor he doesn't look like he's overly old or anything. He still looks very much like he could play the part.
Yeah, he's only 60 (born in 1961). That's nothing (don't make me trot out a Harrison Ford crack/comment).

He's still hard at it. His IMDb page shows, that just since 2019 he's had 18 projects(!)...four of them TV series, two of them currently in pre-production. In recent years he's had his foot in both the DC and Marvel stuff (movies or TV), and is even in the Wick stuff, almost playing a more street-level, real-world NYC Morpheus type of role. So he's definitely not too old for anything. Either they're just considering him dead (video game), they're holding him back as a surprise or he's got some beef with the filmmakers that made them decide not to use him on this go-around.

Found this, from a few months ago. *shrug*

Quote:
Fisburne recently told Collider when asked if he’s getting tired of being asked “Matrix 4” questions, “It would make sense that people would ask me that, so it doesn’t get old. I am not in the next ‘Matrix’ movie, and you’d have to ask Lana Wachowski why, because I don’t have an answer for that.”
A shame. I like him a lot. I really don't care for these movies, but he never does bad work.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-09-18, 11:19

Warner Bros. Signs Deal for AI-Driven Film Management System

I'm sure this will solve all their problems.

Quote:
Under the new deal, Warners will leverage the system’s comprehensive data and predictive analytics to guide decision-making at the greenlight stage. The integrated online platform can assess the value of a star in any territory and how much a film is expected to make in theaters and on other ancillary streams.
Good luck with that fellas.
pscates2.0
Mr. Katan

2021-09-18, 12:29

I guess that's the "business" part of "show biz". Sounds so organic and creative-based!

They literally want to plug in equations: Vin Diesel + random titties - overt messaging (climate = OK) x explosions (4 min.), subtract Brie Larson = $$$

I feel some quality filmmaking heading our way, guys!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-18, 12:30

Only if we get more lens flare. Needs more lens flare!