User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 13
Page 4 of 4 Previous 1 2 3 [4]  Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-14, 09:27

That the smallest model is $699 is a bite. I still think it’s a perception thing with many. That mini maybe shouldn’t exist at Cadillac tire/pricing. It didn’t have to.

If its popularity is running behind the others, I don’t think it’s the size itself but the pricing for that size, which, right or wrong, people see as a down-step.

Those larger models were always in that general price range. Then they stuck the mini in there at that $699(!) and then scooted the “regular” size up another $100. The regular 12 would be wonderful at $699 and the mini at $599. I think that would've helped. W(hen)TF did the baseline "non-pro" iPhone get to be $800?!?

If they raise them all even [i]more[/] today, vs. maybe the other way around…good grief.

Will that mean the non-mini/non-pro iPhone 13 might be $899?! Screw that. How about putting something nice/flagship in that ~$600 range as you managed to do for years and years?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-14 at 10:57. Reason: Because the shitball autocorrect on my iPhone makes me sound like a crazy person who can't write/spell
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-14, 09:46

I tell you what I "hate", all the great features in a "Max" phone. I'm not likely to ever get an iPad mini with cellular capabilities and that is what the Max feels like. No thanks. I have an iPad already. Give me the good cameras in the smaller/mid-sized phones. Make them thicker if you need. No need to give a camera bump, just even out the phone and fill the rest of the space with battery.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2021-09-14, 10:33

Totally agree. If Apple put out an iPhone Pro Mini with the same camera specs as the Pro/Max I bet it would sell like crazy.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-14, 11:02

People wouldn't mind paying $699 for it, I bet.

Yeah, don't hobble/lessen stuff and then jack it up $100. Who the hell does that?

Well, Apple.

I'm not even enough of a photographer or "pro" (whatever that means when applied to a phone) to ever look at those models, but the whole platform is slowly ending up. I thought that's the opposite of what should happen over time with stuff like this?
worthingtonducote

2022-05-24, 11:09

I totally agree with you! I mean, the phone, the iPhone mini, is a truly great toy actually, with some top hardware, but the price, it's way too much. You can get a much better smartphone for the same price. I think they did a great thing by adding such a phone to their model list, but they should have done better on the pricing. I would have bought a mini instead of my iPhone 13, but when I saw the price and how bad the battery was, I understood that it was not worth it. Sometimes I have to use a temp phone number australia for a couple of hours straight, and that phone would die after 2 hours of constant usage.

Last edited by worthingtonducote : 2022-05-24 at 16:21.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-05-24, 11:19

They're only too expensive for people living in Toledo. The rest of us have no problem.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-24, 11:44

The great state of Ohio aside, it looks like the iPhone mini is going away this fall, with phone sizes matching across the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro lines:

6.1" iPhone 14
6.7" iPhone 14 Max

6.1" iPhone 14 Pro
6.7" iPhone 14 Pro Max.

Which, in my mind, then leaves that smaller 5.4" from the "failed" iPhone mini to serve as the platform for a nice, fourth-generation SE redesign in 2023-2024.

Makes sense to me. The cheaper phone, in the minds of many, should be smaller (even if that's exactly what many of us prefer). Leave the 6.1"+ biggies for the flagship $699+ models. The iPhone mini - 5.4" + premium pricing - probably didn't stand an honest chance. That smaller size should've never been inserted into the $700+ flagship lineup, IMO. It was always better suited for the ~$400 SE line, in some future update.

I'm betting that's exactly what happens in the next 18 or so months. The full-face, no-home-button iPhone design will make its way down, finally, to the SE tier. It'll just be properly "de-premiumed" (non-OLED display, single camera, fewer color options, not the latest, cutting-edge cellular radio, etc.) to fall in line with SE specs/pricing.

There is precedent. The 5s (once a "flagship") became the basis for the first SE. The iPhone 8 (once a "flagship") became the basis for the current SE design. Seems like a no-brainer that the iPhone 12-13 mini will be reborn as a redesigned, fourth-generation SE in another year or two.

Smaller = cheaper
Larger = premium

Right or wrong, that's just what people - and companies - seem to believe/expect. Tough to ask people to pay $699+ for the smallest phone in the lineup. People think they should get "more" for that kind of money...screen size, battery life, faster this, better that, etc. Bad idea from the get-go, IMO. Some things in life you do pay a premium for the smaller version. I just don't think an iPhone is one of them.

If iPhones - like everything else - are just going to keep slowly increasing in price as time goes on, then the smaller design should always be for the SE line, where it kinda makes sense. Eventually, I fear, iPhones are going to start at $799...and the SE will probably find its way to $499 if a few months ago is anything to go by (I wasn't expecting that $30 bump). I can easily see Apple using the full-screen, 4.7"->5.4" jump to justify a $479-499 starting price on a fourth-generation SE.

I hope I didn't say that too loud...

But that would still be quite a phone for pretty much anyone!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-05-24 at 12:05.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-05-24, 13:58

If the mini turns into the SE I'll replace my mini with that year's SE when I finally replace this one. I love my small phone. I thought I would really miss the extra camera but I don't REALLY miss it. Just kinda and no where near enough to justify a phone larger than my pocket.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
jjcontrerasbbc
BANNED
I am a filthy spammer.

2024-03-10, 10:48

Hey. It's clear that pricing is a major concern, especially with smaller models perceived as not matching their cost. The practice of introducing a smaller model at $699 and then bumping up the price for the regular size could indeed affect consumer perception negatively. Historically, offering flagship qualities around the $600 range has appealed to a broader audience, maintaining a balance between affordability and quality. A sudden increase to $899 for the standard model may alienate consumers. Adjusting prices to better match consumer expectations and value perception could be a more effective strategy.

Some people don't care about the price of telephone brands, merely because they use temporary phone numbers. I really recommend you to use them, instead of worrying about high or low prices for smartphones, it will only cause you a headache.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-03-10, 15:34

I've ended my service with AT&T a few months back, and now I just have a wifi-only phone, which has proven to me that I could indeed just have an iPod touch or iPad as my sole mobile device and still get through life just fine.

Everyone I text on a regular basis are all iPhone/iOS users, and they just message me at my Apple ID (which is the email account name I've had for 20+ years). And I'm on wifi everywhere I go: here, Mom's, Dad's, every friend's house, every relative's house, my 2-3 favorite fast-food places and most of my favorite sit-down restaurants (although I make it a point to not pull out/use my phone there) and the 2-3 grocery stores I go to.

It's been great not having a monthly overpriced bill. I've not missed it once. The only time I'm not reachable, no longer having phone service, is when I'm out and about, driving. And, guess what? I never answered/checked my phone then anyway, so I realized just what a huge waste of money it was, throwing it at AT&T every 30 days. I'd rather just have a phone and use some sort of online service to have a "number", or just do all my communicating via wifi with FaceTime, Messages and Mail. Been doing so since late October and it works for me. In fields where I may have to enter a phone number, I just put "N/A" and it's not been a problem so far. If people wanna reach me bad enough, they know my primary email...and then they've got 3-4 ways to do so, first-party, straight from their iPhone/iPad/Mac. I talk with my Mom, sister, Dad, closest friends throughout the country, etc. this way, basically every single day, and haven't missed a beat. In the same way I'll never have a landline again, I can't imagine ever hooking back up with AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile to "power" my iPhone ever again. I now know I can get by without them. Driving home, alone, at night on deserted rural roads, if I hit a deer and ran into a ditch/creek, upside down, I guess I either just go ahead and die or wait for some goodhearted motorist to drive by and see my upside-down taillights and make some calls for help. I don't really think about it, honestly. But I ain't paying what I was paying AT&T on the off-chance I might need to dial 911 at 11:20pm some rainy night. That's one of those hyper-specific scenarios I can weigh and deem "not worth it", for me. Frankly, I like not being reachable 24/7, no matter where I am. That was my life before I got my first mobile phone in June 2004, I'm just back to that, 20 years later. People have learned to deal with it, not getting me at every second of every day. But I'm good at letting those close to me (mom, etc.) know I may be "off the radar" for a bit if I need to get out and run errands, do some shopping, etc.

Nobody's died from it yet...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2024-03-10 at 15:47.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-03-10, 21:18

Paul is such an old man now he didn't even notice that it was a spam account that revived this old thread

(we love our grampa members)

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-03-11, 08:50

Yeah. Oops? I just DGAF…very freeing!
Matsu
Veteran Member

2024-03-11, 10:05

Wait, if you're here, who is in Toledo?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-03-11, 14:10

No idea. I left the city under the cover of night, and some gunfire (at me, not from me).

Toledo never runs out of its finest citizens. And they'll always find their way here. If I've learned anything in this life...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-03-11, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Paul is such an old man now he didn't even notice that it was a spam account that revived this old thread

(we love our grampa members)

The news/rumors of any future, next-gen iPhone SE (any design) has pretty much dried up and down to nothing. At this point, it's the spammers keeping anything interesting alive. Real life can't possibly compete with ginned-up horseshit and goofy links!