Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

MacBook Hard Drive Upgrade Help

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacBook Hard Drive Upgrade Help
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-02-06, 20:13

I am in the middle of upgrading the hard drive on my new MacBook and OS X installer doesn't seem to think there is a drive in the computer. When I get to the "destination drive" portion of the install process the select drive field is blank. The drive I am upgrading to is this Travelstar which is a compatible drive. Do I need to hook up this drive to an external enclosure and format the drive HFS+ to be recognized? Plugging it into an external hub and into my iMac Disk Utility finds the drive and prompts me to initialize it, should I? The only thing I see that is different between this drive and the one removed from the MacBook is this drive has no power connectors like the MacBook drive does, is that a problem?

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-02-06, 20:24

If you use the disk utility on the Install disk can you format the drive from there? (before you begin the install process)

And yes, it does have to be formatted for the OSX installer to find it.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-02-06, 20:26

The install utility doesn't give me the option to format it...

I'll use Disk Utility on my iMac and see what happens.

Update: Inside Disk Utility I created a partition that is bootable by Intel Macs. Put the drive back into the MacBook and OS X Installer found the drive.

Thanks Alcimedes.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-02-06, 21:16

Actually, when you're in the installer and you have selected your language, in the text menu there is a selection for Disk Utility. That's what alc was talking about.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-02-06, 21:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Actually, when you're in the installer and you have selected your language, in the text menu there is a selection for Disk Utility. That's what alc was talking about.
Oh, I didn't see that. After I selected language i just clicked continue and went right into the process.