User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Question: Are you excited about the possibility of tri-booting(Linux, Windows, OSX)?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Question: Are you excited about the possibility of tri-booting(Linux, Windows, OSX)?
Partial
Stallion

2006-02-16, 15:00

I don't want this to turn into a debate whether it is doable, or even worth it. I merely want to see if some people are interested.

I, for one, am. It would be really nice to be able to use the best tools available and reap the benefits of each OS. I am a geek and enjoy tinkering, so I also will enjoy the challenge of getting the other OS's to boot!
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-02-16, 15:02

I am interested. I want the style of an Apple laptop and all the goodness that is OS X and associated Apple apps. But, I want to be able to run Windows for work stuff as well.

I don't want to deal with cracked OSs or anything like that. I'll buy a copy of Windows, just let me install it next to OS X so I can use SQL Server and Visual Studio.
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2006-02-16, 15:04

Yes, definately, my automation requirements change all the time so I've never been able to exclusivley get away with just using either of the three operating systems (well the two that count, its that other one that keeps biting me in the ass).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-16, 15:18

Nope, not at all. If I wanted to use Windows, I'd buy a PC. I'm not a geek and don't enjoy tinkering around in that way, so I'll be staying put in a pure OS X environment.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-16, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Nope, not at all. If I wanted to use Windows, I'd buy a PC. I'm not a geek and don't enjoy tinkering around in that way, so I'll be staying put in a pure OS X environment.
Same. Although I am a geek, I have no good reason to defile my Mac with Windows. At the most, it would reside on a separate external hard drive.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-02-16, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
If booting Windows XP was possible right now on Macs I know dozens of people who would make the switch immediately.

It will also simplify my life a lot by allowing me to never have to worry about compatibility and what I can and can't run.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-16, 15:29

...and that's great. I totally understand the value and appeal for many. Maybe everyone will get their wish before it's all over?

But did you see the part where I said:

Quote:
I'm not a geek and don't enjoy tinkering around in that way

I'm speaking strictly for myself here.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-02-16, 15:31

Yes, only because I need to use Windows financial programs. I've *tried* to use some of the Mac programs available, but they are pitiful.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-02-16, 15:34

I used to be a geek, and have all kinds of crap installed on my PC (BeOS, Oberon, OS/2, etc.). Of course, between all the tinkering and rebooting, I never did anything useful with my computer. I'm certainly not going to dual-boot, but running Windows in some kind of VM (perhaps VMWare) would be very handy.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2006-02-16, 15:43

I would be interested in having Windows on a seperate hard drive like Brad said.

That way, there is no partitioning and the Windows and OS X enviroments stay seperate
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-16, 15:57

I would much rather that I stayed in Mac OS only environment, but all major CAD developers has decided that Windows is their god and simply refuse to budge from their *cough*teat*cough*, I would like that ability.

However, my master plan is to get me a job in a CAD firm that uses Mac and a CAD that runs on Mac. It's funny- colleges have to teach you the "industry standard", but the cutting edge firms don't use the industry standard.

WTF!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-16, 15:59

Is there even a CAD program for Macs? There probably is, but I don't keep up with that field enough to even know.

All the CAD folks I know are PC-based, so I wasn't sure what was out there...
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-02-16, 16:03

Yes, there are. I'm not exactly into CAD myself, but the architects here can't stop talking about SketchUp, and there are also others. Our architecture department is 100% Mac.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-16, 16:07

Yeah- for some reasons or other, architecture CAD is more Mac-ish. There's even a forum dedicated to Mac arch-CAD; Architosh.

However, if we're talk about mechanical CAD, it's 99.999% Windows.
Edit= I'm under the impression that there were a number that used to be unix-based, but has since mitigated to Windows or are encouraging users to mitigate to Windows.

I have downloaded a demo of Ashlar-Vellum's Cobalt, which is only CAD I know of that runs both on Windows and OS X. Will play with it over the weekend.

Last edited by Banana : 2006-02-16 at 16:14.
Partial
Stallion

2006-02-16, 16:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
I would much rather that I stayed in Mac OS only environment, but all major CAD developers has decided that Windows is their god and simply refuse to budge from their *cough*teat*cough*, I would like that ability.

However, my master plan is to get me a job in a CAD firm that uses Mac and a CAD that runs on Mac. It's funny- colleges have to teach you the "industry standard", but the cutting edge firms don't use the industry standard.

WTF!

what do they teach you on? we use cad 2005 on windows
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2006-02-16, 16:17

"Are you excited about the possibility of tri-booting"

No, I am not excited about the 'possibility'.

The only other OS I'd like to boot on Apple hardware (aside from OSX) is Linux, which we have been able to do for many years now.

I am excited about the boost in Linux support for Mac hardware, that moving to Intel chips will bring.

I got sick of dual booting computers years ago, and I'd imagine that tri-booting computers will be even more so a pain.

It's not that I don't like the idea of booting more then one OS on the same computer at different times... it's that I feel a computer should have every tool you need under the hood of one OS.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-16, 16:18

Cad 2005 as in AutoCAD by AutoDesk?

They use CATIA and Pro-E and I'm currently learning Rhinoceros. I've learned AutoCAD as well.

Of those, CATIA is my preference, though Pro-E has some features that CATIA doesn't have.
Partial
Stallion

2006-02-16, 16:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
Cad 2005 as in AutoCAD by AutoDesk?

They use CATIA and Pro-E and I'm currently learning Rhinoceros. I've learned AutoCAD as well.

Of those, CATIA is my preference, though Pro-E has some features that CATIA doesn't have.

AutoCAD by AutoDesk. I didn't know other CADs existed actually. I am EE, so I only had to take one basic class on 3D drawing and such.
GWARREN

2006-02-16, 16:59

I wouldn't say excited, but it may be handy if there is an easy way to boot windows. At the moment I don't need any windows software, but next year a lot of my postgraduate course comes on a CD-ROM. I've not had a proper check yet but IF it is windows only, having windows on my mac would save me a few walks to uni. Not excited therefore, but it might be handy to have. I don't want huge tinkering around though, so hopefully someone will come out with a nice way of doing this.

PixelMix - an (almost) daily photoblog for Scotland.
BlockSoft - donationware for OSX.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-02-16, 17:17

I'm more interested in when the possibility becomes a reality and windows users start asking their mac friends "hey, why aren't you running windows now that you can?"