User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Help with USB device(s)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help with USB device(s)
Joolz34

2006-05-01, 17:17

Hi, Ive recently upgraded to a macbook pro from a powerbook and Im having some problems with some USB devices, namely a USB 2 card reader and 3.5 inch external HDD.
When I connect them to the macbook growl informs me that a connection has been made, e.g. USB mass storage device, but nothing else happens and if I try to start disk utility (to check if the HDD is mounted) it just gives me the spinning beachball.

Some background info - both of these devices used to (and still do) work on my powerbook.
The HDD Im having problems with is windows formatted (Fat32 partition and NTFS partition). It works on my powerbook and works under windows xp (Bootcamp) on the macbook - OSX is the only thing that doesnt recognise it.
I have another HDD, same type of HDD, same enclosure except formatted on the mac and that works ok (so it cant be the enclosure, especially as windows picks it up too).
The card reader is just a standard generic card reader, nothing special and again works on the powerbook but wont mount on OS X.

Im a bit confused as to what I can do to resolve this - googling just mostly resulted in recommendations to change the enclosure but as the same enclosure works on the powerbook and under XP on the macbook I dont think thats it.

Any ideas please anyone?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,

Andrew
Joolz34

2006-05-02, 03:01

I still havent managed to get any further with this and would appreciate anything that anyone could suggest to help.

Many thanks.
rampancy

2006-05-02, 09:50

It might be the way you formatted the Windows disk? Have you tried reformatting the problematic hard disk?

Also, are both your devices showing up in System Profiler?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-05-02, 09:53

The disk isn't recognized by the Mac OS, which I've seen happen before. The fastest way to fix this problem is to attach the drive to a windows machine and reformat it. Then plug it into the macbook.

Start with the drive with the least information on it (flash drive) and see if that makes it readable for your mac. If so, let me know and I'll try and find the process again that will fix this without reformatting.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me