Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Ghostbusters: The Video Game
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-08-08, 23:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Yeah, I hear ya on the titles for PS3. What kind of games do you like? I bought Tom Clancy Rainbow Six Vegas 2 for it and looooved it.

Nothing really on PS3 has jumped out at me either, but then again I don't follow games like I use too. The next main game I'm waiting for is Ghostbusters for Xbox 360.
Hate to break it to you, but I think Ghostbusters is cancelled. At least Activision isn't picking up the rights to it. So it's at least in game limbo for a while. I'm hoping it comes out and is as good as the "4th movie" like they said in the GameInformer interview a while back. I was a huge Ghostbusters fan back in the day.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-08-08, 23:33

I heard that Ghostbusters was back on with another publisher.. Details coming in the next week or so... I am not that interested but thought others may want to at least hear that rumour.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-08-09, 01:08

Activision actually clarified that the game isn't cancelled, but that it will likely be released under a different publisher name, as scratt said. Documents included with a Xbox 360 demo that was recently sent to a few reviewers, though, indicate a spring 2009 release instead of the original fall 2008 date.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-08-09, 01:10

Seeing the preview for the Ghostbusters game gave me flashbacks to being 8 years old and playing it on the Sega Master System. Granted, it was the first non-RPG game I ever completed (Phantasy Star being the first RPG), so it has a bit of nostalgia for me--even if it did suck. But anyway, I kinda want the remake to be a fun game, even though my cynicism leads me to surmise otherwise. :/

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-08-09, 01:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
But anyway, I kinda want the remake to be a fun game, even though my cynicism leads me to surmise otherwise. :/
When I first heard about it, I was afraid it would be like most crappy movie-to-game franchises you see nowadays, but to the contrary everything I've read and seen about it looks very promising. They've got the original cast reprising their "looks" and voices, a nifty gameplay and physics engine that lets your tear the place apart with your zappers (and have to pay for damages later, apparently), and a story written by Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis (who also wrote the original) that's supposed to make the game effectively a "third movie" set shortly after the second film.

This is one of the very few games to have piqued my curiosity recently and I'll be watching when it gets close to an official release, whenever that may be.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-08-09, 01:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
When I first heard about it, I was afraid it would be like most crappy movie-to-game franchises you see nowadays, but to the contrary everything I've read and seen about it looks very promising. They've got the original cast reprising their "looks" and voices, a nifty gameplay and physics engine that lets your tear the place apart with your zappers (and have to pay for damages later, apparently), and a story written by Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis (who also wrote the original) that's supposed to make it the game effectively a "third movie" set shortly after the second film.
That's what makes me optimistic. However, if it's multiplayer then it will be a battle between the lady and myself over who gets to be Venkman.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-08-09, 11:13

the release date for Ghostbusters is Oct 21st according to IGN
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-08-09, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
the release date for Ghostbusters is Oct 21st according to IGN
That's the old pre-shakeup date. The restructuring announcement was only a few weeks ago; so, it's unsurprising that IGN is out of date.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-08-09, 11:55

Thread split from What video games are you playing right now? because it deserves its own.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-08-09, 12:02

XBox 360? Meh. If ever there was a game that demanded a Wiimote, this is it. I mean come on... wrangle that ghost with the proton accelerator gun? Sweetness.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-08-09, 12:04

FWIW, it is being developed for several different platforms including the Wii, Xbox 360, and PS3... and somehow the Nintendo DS. The Wii version will have slimmed-down graphics and controls better geared for the Wiimote and local multiplayer.

Info about the Wii version here: http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=177545

Quote:
But, of course, this is also one of those dream-come-true Wii games. We're getting lightsabers in Star Wars: Force Unleashed; we're getting maracas in Samba De Amigo; now - yes! - the Wii remote's a Proton Pack. We've gone hands-on, and it's ace: move with the analogue stick, aim with the Wii pointer, then press Z and - bssszzhhmm! - 500,000Mhz of particle accelerator beam arcs across the room, frazzling ghosts and furniture. When the beam turns blue, you can slam a trapped Slimer against the walls, Eledees-style. And, yep, you do push the Nunchuk forward to slide a Ghost Trap under a spook before guiding him in with the Remote, 'tugging' him toward you a stubborn fish. It really is Ghostbusters.

The Wii version of Ghostbusters is its own beast compared to the PS3 and 360 versions you might have seen elsewhere. It's lovingly stylised, with a look to Egon, Ray and the crew that's not a million miles from this month's Battalion Wars 2. And, more crucially, it's designed with Wii's multiplayer strengths in mind: so not only will it have all 10 or so single-player levels, from the streets of New York to the mysterious 'Lost Island', but also a bulging grab bag of four-player modes and minigames. There's no Wi-Fi planned, unfortunately - but the devs promise Ghostbusters is "always fun" with you and three friends.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-08-09, 12:27

Quote:
FWIW, it is being developed for several different platforms including the Wii, Xbox 360, and PS3... and somehow the Nintendo DS. The Wii version will have slimmed-down graphics and controls better geared for the Wiimote and local multiplayer.

Info about the Wii version here: http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=177545
Exxxxxcellent....
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2008-08-09, 12:31

One more reason to finally get a Wii. But TV first.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-08-09, 13:23

Quote:
That's the old pre-shakeup date. The restructuring announcement was only a few weeks ago; so, it's unsurprising that IGN is out of date.
Hmmmmm....I also know that about a month or so ago, they had the date at October 14th-15th, as did Gamestop in the mall. I saw it there 2 weeks ago when I bought MGS4.

You have links to anywhere? Damn IGN.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-08-09, 13:35

As for the new Spring 2009 date, I got that from one of the sites that got the Xbox 360 demo package a couple weeks ago.

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Ghostb..._Calls_Us/3206

Quote:
This package, however, was over-nighted to explicitly arrive today. It doesn't take a seasoned mathematician to deduce the package was sent *after* Activision Blizzard pulled the plug.

[...]

What's really interesting is the spring 2009 release date printed on the fact sheet. Is this truly the new release date? It's the first time we've heard of it, but unfortunately the sheet itself is not dated.

The only thing we can deduce is Activision Blizzard has heard the public outcry and agrees: people want this game on Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Badly, even. And they want us to rest assured it is coming one way or the other.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-08-09, 13:47

Oh, and I guess in all fairness I should admit that I have a little more than a passing interest in getting my grubby hands on this video game.

/nerd

tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-12-05, 22:33

New date looks like June 2009, and if I read this correctly, available on PS3, 360, DS, Wii, PS2, and PSP? Also, new trailer for the game here.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-12-06, 02:27

We have a new date for the game at work. IIRC it's in late May or early June, but it's obviously subject to change. I'll check tomorrow for y'all.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong