Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

New ACD 20" and white areas

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New ACD 20" and white areas
optimus prime

2005-08-24, 12:20

Hi all! i need your urgent advice...
Today i got a new Apple Cinema Display 20" and i love it very much. Its great. But there is one thing:

When the screen goes black (eg. black screensaver) i can see some white areas all over my screen. Is this normal. They can only be seen on black color. Should i return this or? Theyre not "white" but lighter areas.

Pleaase help im desperate!!

OP
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2005-08-24, 12:53

Are the white areas near the edges (i.e. caused, perhaps by backlight bleeding), or all over the screen?
optimus prime

2005-08-24, 12:55

They are near the edges, specially at the topmost edge...
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2005-08-24, 13:30

If it is happening near the edges, it could well be that the backlights are bleeding at the edges... In any event, this is not "normal" and should be fixed. If you have an Apple Store near you, I'd suggest you take it in and show them. If not, your best bet is to call Apple. If it is a backlight problem, then they should replace it.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-08-24, 13:33

I have a similar problem with my 12" iBook.

The 2 bottom corners of the screen are brighter than the rest. Really annoying.

Also, when you look at the screen from a sideways angle, there's a brighter blotch about an inch across in the middle of the screen.

Is this repairable at the Apple Store, or would I have to mail it to Tennessee?

You ask me for a hamburger.
Kitsune

2005-08-24, 14:22

No LCD screen has a perfectly uniform lighting, they all have little patches of brighter and darker areas. If there's a great big glaring bright spot, then yes, get it replaced. But if you have to squint just so and look at just the right angle to spot it, well, you won't find any screen that doesn't do that.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2005-08-24, 14:49

Kitsune is of course right. But since optimus described them as "white" areas, not just "brighter than black" areas, I assumed the issue was pretty egregious.
optimus prime

2005-08-24, 15:22

Thanks for the replys guys. The problem isn't so bad... but i just dont like the idea of paying 800€ for a display that is not perfect

Anyone else who has cinema display got lighter areas on black color?
optimus prime

2005-09-05, 13:43

This is weird. I got a replacement unit but... it has the exact same problem?! wtf?!

All of you, who has got the same Display, when your display is filled with back colour, is it a perfect shade of black? or is there some minor lighter areas?

Thanks
darshu

2005-09-05, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus prime
This is weird. I got a replacement unit but... it has the exact same problem?! wtf?!

All of you, who has got the same Display, when your display is filled with back colour, is it a perfect shade of black? or is there some minor lighter areas?

Thanks
This sort of thing is, and will always be subjective to some extent. How "minor" are the minor lighter areas.... How much lighter are they? Your best bet is to take a picture of the behaviour.... and if you can still see the same thing in the picture, then post it in the thread.

I can look at 75Hz CRT and notice an intolerable amount of flickering, most people can't see it. Is the 75 Hz CRT broken? Or can I just not stand 75Hz?
dougiemac

2005-09-05, 20:32

Hmm... hopefully your old 20" will be a refurb soon!!!