AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple files patent for integrated sensing display

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple files patent for integrated sensing display
Oompa Loompa
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-01-12, 10:49

Very interesting, IMO. Ichat AV Boost!

'The invention pertains to an integrated sensing display. The integrated sensing display includes both display elements and image sensing elements. As a result, the integrated sensing device can not only output images (e.g., as a display) but also input images (e.g., as a camera).

A panel created from an integrated, embedded macro CCD would thus be able to both display and record visual information simultaneously, without the use of an external video capture device. Simply put, the same panel could display a video conference while also recording the participant sitting in front of it.

A video panel that has an embedded macro CCD is no longer just a display. It can be used to transmit as well as receive visual information. One use and benefit for such a panel is video conferencing: a user can maintain eye contact with someone on screen because the camera is "in" the screen. In addition, portable devices, such as portable digital assistants (PDAs) and cell phones, have very limited space for displays and would benefit if additional real estate were not used for a camera.'

Any ideas on this?

Last edited by Oompa Loompa : 2006-01-12 at 11:14.
ZachPruckowski

2006-01-12, 12:17

Sounds like it works the same as an iSight built in atop the screen. It's nice and cool and sexy I grant, but it doesn't seem like it's that much better. Also, it'll prolly only be on laptops and iMacs and Apple Cinema Displays.

But I hope it can be easily enabled/disabled. I'd bet we'll hear people with tinfoil hats screaming about Apple watching them.

EDIT: typo
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2006-01-12, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski
Sounds like it works the same as an iSight built in atop the screen. It's nice and cool and sexy I grant, but it doesn't seem like it's that much better.
Did you read this bit: "One use and benefit for such a panel is video conferencing: a user can maintain eye contact with someone on screen because the camera is "in" the screen."?

I've noticed, when using my iSight, mounted atop my pbook's screen, that the whole eye contact thing is very distracting. So much so, that the video chat still really doesn't feel like "being there". If Apple could solve this, it would be a big deal for video chatting, IMO.

Ugh.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-01-12, 12:54

Sounds like the displays used in the book, 1984.
Baylor8306

2006-01-12, 14:43

now it will bring a bit of truth to this:http://www.monitorcamera.com/
hrmpf

2006-01-12, 15:49

Spooky- i just noticed the patent too-

says it was filed in June so they may not be going to do anything with it (yet)- i imagine it would add a lot to the price of a LCD screen- they also say:

Quote:
11. The device of claim 1, wherein the device is used in a portable communication device.
12. The device of claim 11, wherein the portable communication device is a telephone.
13. The device of claim 11, wherein the portable communication device is personal digital assistant.
14. The device of claim 1, wherein the device is used in a computer monitor or a television.
16. The device of claim 15, wherein the device is a medical device.
maybe it could work in a PDA/Phone quite well

I think an iPredator invisibility suit would be a much better use!

my boring ramblings on the idea