User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

AMD in next line of Computers?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AMD in next line of Computers?
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-11-16, 19:27

I don't know about this. I'm an intel person myself but I do know getting OSX86 to run on AMD CPU's was a major pain in the butt.

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20061115PR207.html


rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-11-16, 19:31

Meh. I don't buy it. Apple has a good thing going with Intel, and honestly, AMD has an image that Apple doesn't want—Hardcore techy/cheap-ish.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-16, 19:33

DigiTimes. 'nuff said.
rasmits
rams it

2006-11-16, 20:03

Servers, maybe, but I doubt they'll put AMD in their laptops. The Core 2 Duo is a really good laptop chip.
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-11-16, 20:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
Servers, maybe, but I doubt they'll put AMD in their laptops. The Core 2 Duo is a really good laptop chip.
^^

Nothing more needs to be said. AMD is outclassed up and down the product line. The only place where AMD has a partial advantage is in big iron where HT interconnects allow for better arbitration between CPUs.
Anthem

2006-11-17, 00:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Nothing more needs to be said. AMD is outclassed up and down the product line.
Ehh, for now. AMD has extremely good engineers... they'll be back on top soon enough.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-11-17, 01:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
Ehh, for now. AMD has extremely good engineers... they'll be back on top soon enough.
and Intel doesn't?

Get real.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-17, 01:13

Healthy competition between Intel and AMD is in our very own best interest, but neither AM2 nor 4x4 have me intrigued. I hope they'll try harder.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-11-17, 17:33

AMD does not have any good notebook chips, and are horrible in terms of battery life, I hope it isn't true.
washington mac user
can't read

2006-11-17, 19:11

AMD's K8L should bring some good competition and plus the new turions and athlons coming out should bring some good competition to the mobile markets. If you play games, you go AMD. Since Apple used PowerPC chips, I don't think anyone here realized how much better AMD chips were compared to Intel chips before the Core Duos. Don't count AMD out, thats all I'm saying. Its funny I think Intel resembles Microsoft and AMD resembles Apple. Intel has all the money and can do anything with it and tries to fuck over AMD just like what Microsoft tries to do with Apple. No one will be talking crap about AMD once Apple starts using their chips. The only reason why people are talking crap now is because Apple doesn't use their processors, yet.

Last edited by washington mac user : 2006-11-17 at 19:26.
washington mac user
can't read

2006-11-17, 19:22

Here are some good articles from ARS if anybody wants to read them. The compare what the new AMD processors have to offer compared to the new Intel processors.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061011-7961.html

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060602-6977.html

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060817-7535.html
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-11-17, 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by washington mac user View Post
No one will be talking crap about AMD once Apple starts using their chips. The only reason why people are talking crap now is because Apple doesn't use their processors, yet.
Uh no. I use an Athlon X2 3800+ box alongside my Power Mac G4 2x1000 MHz. I chose AMD because the Intel alternative would have been a Pentium D. Likewise, before that, I chose the Pentium 4 2.4B over AMD's options because it was the best bang for the buck at the time.

AMD and Intel have equal mindshare...whoever has the better product at the time gets my support. I have no doubt that eventually the pendulum will swing back in AMD's favor, but not in the near future.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-11-18, 00:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
and Intel doesn't?

Get real.
Not when compared to AMD's, no. Intel can whoop AMD any day of the week when it comes to their manufacturing plants (meaning that making good chips in high volume is easier for them) but when it comes to making a better, faster, cheaper desktop chip? AMD, FTW.

That said, this makes no sense because even when we were rockin' the woefully underpowered Pentium M, Intel outbenched AMD. While AMD is great with desktops, they can't deliver with the notebooks.

If the article said "Mac Pro's to ship with AMD option" I might believe it. But an AMD notebook? No fuckin' way.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Rabbit

2006-11-18, 17:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
DigiTimes. 'nuff said.
What he said.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-11-18, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by washington mac user View Post
AMD's K8L should bring some good competition and plus the new turions and athlons coming out should bring some good competition to the mobile markets. If you play games, you go AMD. Since Apple used PowerPC chips, I don't think anyone here realized how much better AMD chips were compared to Intel chips before the Core Duos. Don't count AMD out, thats all I'm saying. Its funny I think Intel resembles Microsoft and AMD resembles Apple. Intel has all the money and can do anything with it and tries to fuck over AMD just like what Microsoft tries to do with Apple. No one will be talking crap about AMD once Apple starts using their chips. The only reason why people are talking crap now is because Apple doesn't use their processors, yet.
I disagree. Many of the notebook owners I know have AMD based machines because they are cheaper, but they suffer because the AMD chips are far more power hungry than even some of the older Intel chipsets. Two hours battery life is common with most AMD based notebooks, at least in my experience. I know enough AMD fanboys who agree on this matter to say that without hesitation.
Enki

2006-11-18, 17:58

And those AMD laptops are what, about 2" thick too? I don't see Apple shipping portable desktop machines, they haven't done that sine they retired the original Macintosh Portable in '91.
k squared

2006-11-18, 19:43

Even if the story is not true, it's good to see the possibility of Apple using AMD chips. The more OS X moves toward processor independence, the better.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-11-18, 21:48

Intel and AMD use the same architecture: if something works on one, it'll work on the other (With the possible exception of SSE3 code—I don't know if AMD's lineup supports it or not). There's no more independence being achieved.

I really have nothing to put here, but I feel it's rather strange to not have one.
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2006-11-18, 23:06

I have an AMD X2 4200+ in my custom built pc and the intel core duo in my imac..... the intel core duo just seems alot more speedy that the amd (when both in windows)

If you can read this this, please send to an admin, i am blocked and cant post....
Anthem

2006-11-18, 23:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
I have an AMD X2 4200+ in my custom built pc and the intel core duo in my imac..... the intel core duo just seems alot more speedy that the amd (when both in windows)
It should... it's a generation more recent than the AMD offering.

AMD's always been half a generation behind Intel in terms of fabs.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2006-11-19, 05:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
AMD's always been half a generation behind Intel in terms of fabs.
Which was really significant back when AMD won the race to 1Ghz, yeah... AMD may be behind on the size of the transistors they make in the fab, but their fab technology itself rocks (also shared with IBM). Their problem is that they haven't got intels deep pockets and number of fabs. So AMD can't have several 90nm fabs producing while retrofitting a number of other fabs to 65nm.

Converted 07/2005.
Anthem

2006-11-19, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonzie View Post
Which was really significant back when AMD won the race to 1Ghz, yeah... AMD may be behind on the size of the transistors they make in the fab, but their fab technology itself rocks (also shared with IBM). Their problem is that they haven't got intels deep pockets and number of fabs. So AMD can't have several 90nm fabs producing while retrofitting a number of other fabs to 65nm.
Exactly.

Obviously, Intel's current offerings are superior. But AMD's been producing better chips for at least the past four years. So there's nothing that makes me suspect AMD's lineup won't continue to improve, or, at the very least, be competitve.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-11-19, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
DigiTimes. 'nuff said.
The funny thing is that people still quote them generously.

chucker

2006-11-19, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
The funny thing is that people still quote them generously.

Yeah, clearly there's still enough morons going there to support their ad revenue. Same for MOSR.
mAc-warrior

2006-11-19, 16:17

I doubt Apple will ever switch to AMD, unless there is a total reversal in the processor space, and AMD has superior laptop processors. Intel has always had better laptop chips. Faster, cooler, with better battery life. Apple has been ALL about the laptops recently. Both sides have fast desktop chips, but only Intel has fast laptop processors. And Apple needs those fast laptop processors. They will NOT have desktops running on AMD and laptops running on Intel. I repeat, this scenario will NOT occur. All this would do is piss off Intel. It's been fairly well proven that Apple has has enjoyed the status of Intel's preferential customer in the last year. Intel prefers Apple as a customer to say... Dell, and gives them new chips slightly ahead of other OEM's (in some cases... if I recall correctly that Apple had the Core Duos before anyone else?) as proof of this. Any relationship with AMD on Apple's part will ruin this good relationship with Intel, which is not in Apple's interest right now, or in the foreseeable future.

--mAc
Anthem

2006-11-19, 22:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAc-warrior View Post
(in some cases... if I recall correctly that Apple had the Core Duos before anyone else?) as proof of this.
No, they just announced them first. Brands like Dell, HP, and Lenovo actually wait until they make a product before announcing it.

Seriously, though, you make a good point.
chris e boy

2006-11-20, 14:28

CPU comparisons aside, wouldnt this make a confusing line-up to users who didnt know the difference?

If theres one thing Apple are good at, its simplifying the buying decision. I think that having 5 or 6 different configurations on offer would be confusing which is why i cant see Apple going ahead with this unless they brought out a completely new product line which only used AMD.
Anthem

2006-11-20, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris e boy View Post
CPU comparisons aside, wouldnt this make a confusing line-up to users who didnt know the difference?

If theres one thing Apple are good at, its simplifying the buying decision. I think that having 5 or 6 different configurations on offer would be confusing which is why i cant see Apple going ahead with this unless they brought out a completely new product line which only used AMD.
Yep. If Apple uses AMD anywhere, it's likely to be in their server lineup.
IVIIVI4ck3y27

Send a message via ICQ to IVIIVI4ck3y27 Send a message via AIM to IVIIVI4ck3y27 Send a message via MSN to IVIIVI4ck3y27 Send a message via Yahoo to IVIIVI4ck3y27  
2006-11-22, 18:47

It's not likely at all IMHO. Jobs has strong ties to Intel with being friends with the execs. This is widely established already. There's no advantages on the laptop level, as Intel is already faster and more energy efficient here than Turion. On the workstation/server level... AMD is faster in some things, but... not significantly so for Apple to put a strain on the Intel ties.

If there was one area that AMD clearly offers a significant advantage, it's in getting cheap Athlon64 processors for a consumer-oriented desktop. Here, an Athlon64 is significantly better performing than the P4's that are comparably priced in the BTO segment, and of which Intel has no real answer to in the Core Duo or Core 2 Duo market as of yet (all available for significantly higher pricetags than comparable AMD offerings). I would expect a future Celeron D, itself likely based off of the Core Duo/Core 2 Duo design but designed to be made cheaper to be an answer... but as of right now, in terms of bang for the $, AMD has that market sewed up.

Yet Apple has no offering in this segment other than the iMac's... and the iMac's are reasonably-well priced with LCD, so if Apple wanted to produce a machine for this market, it could likely build a $1,000-1,400-ish minitower or slab-style desktop using iMac internals/architecture as the foundation. A single Core2Duo or dual Core Duo would likely service this segment nice enough for it's needs.

There's little fruit to the article. What exactly can AMD/ATi offer Apple to lure them to sign on with them? I've heard processor independence but Apple hasn't placed any fruit in that basket, and with Jobs' friendships with key execs at Intel, I don't foresee it happening. With a company as big as Intel, there's really no need. Even when they're clearly behind in terms of chipset engineering from a core architecture standpoint (i.e. memory controller design), they dig a little deeper and move inferior chip design foundations to smaller fabs with tweak on the fly efforts at improving the architecture from Pentium M, -> Yonah -> Merom/Conroe/Woodcrest, ->Quad Core and provide a performance advantage. By the time AMD can get their stuff to 65nm en masse, Intel will likely have found a way to jump to 45nm and continue the advantage buying them time to reinvent the wheel from an architecture standpoint and find a way to hit smaller fabs with them. At that point... Intel should likely clean AMD's clocks.

As much as I like AMD... they have a steep incline to scale to beat Intel. They're behind in too many areas even with what advantages they have, have too many outstanding needs to address, and to truly defeat Intel... they're going to have to find a way to beat them at all. If they slip in one area, Intel will be on them like white on rice to retake it back. I don't foresee AMD beating Intel, they will get their advantage in one segment from time to time, but Intel have far too many resources to let AMD beat them at it for too long. Even when beat, it's not quantum leaps... but minor advantages that are easily overturned as Intel has shown.

Marcus Mackey
mmackey27@comcast.net