AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Star Wars: Obi-wan Kenobi

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Star Wars: Obi-wan Kenobi
Page 3 of 6 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-05-26, 14:51

It's just crazy to me that Star Wars became such a world-wide phenomena.

Speaking of which, how do you folks feel about the Star Wars Stories getting a combined thread, since they're all gonna merge/overlap anyway?

I know I just created the Andor thread, but my guess is I'm going to be spending a lot of time trying to shuffle posts around and such. Would it be better to just shove them all together?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-05-26, 19:36

I think individual topics is better personally. Harder to lose the moment for the conversations as the details go out.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-26, 19:42

You mean a full on Disney+ SW thread (The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Andor, Ahsoka, etc.)?

Have at it. I think we should all agree on some sort of spoiler protocol. I'll go along with whatever everyone decides on, but I think within the first 2-4 days of an episode's airing, spoiler tags should be used, just as simple courtesy.

Or is it easier - and more reasonable - to just say "screw that...if you haven't seen the episode, keep your butt out of the thread until you do"?

I'll go with whatever, y'all let me know...

PS - Tony's got a point.

I don't know. I'll go with whatever everyone decides. I'm easy like that. My only real concern/interest is the spoiler protocol. Let's figure out/agree on that ASAP because I'll be watching all this in about six hours and will want to say something afterwards, I'm sure...

If nothing's been firmly established by the time I watch overnight, I will use spoiler tags just to be safe/kind. 😇
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2022-05-26, 20:41

I would like 72 hours just to be safe for spoilers. That's 3 days and gives a little more space than just 24 or 48.
ÂĄDamned!

2022-05-26, 21:05

I’m with T on the individual threads as well. Even if they’re all pretty much in the same timeframe it’s nice to keep the character arcs a bit separate.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-27, 04:02

Wow. Big thumbs up! I'm impressed. It went about how I was expecting/hoping, plus a little extra on several fronts. Click below when the time is right and see what you think...

Spoiler (click to toggle):
I really enjoyed this. It wasted no time, after a nice 10-15 minute establishing sequence/period. Way better than the first two episodes of The Book of Boba Fett, by far.

- It's like we never left. Ewan McGregor is just awesome. Hiring him as young(er) Obi-Wan Kenobi 20+ years ago...one of the three all-time best things the franchise/Lucasfilm has ever done. He was the best part of the prequels, and he hasn't lost a step since.

- It wasn't shown, but from the recap - and Obi-Wan invoking his name twice - it's clear that my old prediction about Liam Neeson putting in a cameo or two as a glowing blue Force ghost will surely come to be. At some point in the remaining four episodes, I know we'll see this.

- It looks great. The visuals on this are very impressive, both Tatooine daytime desert and off-planet nighttime city. As with the other Disney+ live-action Star Wars fare, there's nothing "TV show" about this, visually, IMO.

- I knew, both from just predictions/guessing and eventually the show's trailers, that we'd see a young, 10-year-old Luke, if only from a distance (as Obi-Wan does). What I wasn't expecting was...young, 10-year-old Leia! She's adorable, and it's easy to imagine who she grows up to be. Great casting.

- As a result of that, we also get Bail...Jimmy Smits!

- Flea?!

- Okay, I'm kinda digging that Third Sister (Reva?); chews the scenery a bit, but it somehow works. She's mean as hell! And those parkour(?) moves toward the end of the second episode...very cool. She's a good villain.

- I took it for granted that Obi-Wan knew Anakin/Vader was still alive, but I guess he had no reason to think so, thinking back. The look on his face when Reva confirmed it...awesome.

- That final closing shot...answering one of my questions about "why bother hiring Hayden Christensen". Well, put him in scar/injury makeup and suspend him in a bacta tank. If we're going to get scenes of him out of the armor, then yeah...that was a great shot!

- So many nice call-outs to the prequels and the original trilogy: Padme, death sticks(?), Luke's spaceship toy (Obi-Wan gave him that, or the parts to build it anyway), Bail Organa, Alderaan, Anakin/Vader, Owen Lars, Stormtroopers, the opening shot of the first episode, with Order 66 being carried out in the Jedi Temple (yes, I was looking for Grogu ), a shiny protocol droid, those little cube/walker droids, just the whole Tatooine vibe...desert, town. And then that city they wound up at in the second episode...all the neon and nightlife was very similar to the one shown in Attack of the Clones. Again, great visuals and settings.

- They teased Obi-Wan's lightsaber so many times, but he never ignited it. I know they're going to save it for when it really counts.

- I was fully engaged, both episodes, and I can't wait until 3am Wednesday. The first episode was nearly an hour, at 56 minutes and the second was more of a Mandalorian-esque 40-something minutes. But watching both, back-to-back, seemed like no time passed at all. That's a good sign. I know during those first 3-4 episodes of The Book of Boba Fett, I kept checking the timeline because each of those felt like about 90+ minutes of nothing. This show doesn't suffer from that. It hit the ground running, laid out the stakes and current status of everything and then got down to business with no foot-dragging or messing around. Even showing Obi-Wan's daily routine at the meat-packing(?) facility was handled nicely and not dragged out. Just enough to show what his life is now, in hiding...working a menial job for low pay, getting his "horse" from the stable in town and going home to an empty cave, and trying to lay low and stay off the radar. You genuinely kinda feel sorry for him, what his life has become. And he's accepted it, until his old friend from Alderaan reaches out.

- Kinda sad/hit hard when Obi-Wan told Bail he wasn't the person he was before. He left that life behind for 10 years (even burying the two lightsabers in the desert, probably thinking - hoping - he'd never see them again. Nice callback (or foreshadowing, I suppose?) of Rey burying Luke and Leia's lightsabers in the same desert ~40 years later in the closing moments of The Rise of Skywalker.

- For someone who isn't a fan of blasters, Obi-Wan used one quite a bit. But he knew if he pulled that lightsaber, it would draw too much attention and mark him.

I think everyone here is going to enjoy this. Ewan McGregor absolutely owns this role at this point, so it's like seeing an old friend from 15-20 years ago that you've come to miss. He's back again. I hope six episodes is enough, but sometimes less is more, and you leave folks wanting more vs. overstaying your welcome. June will be fun.

Enjoy! I think we're in for a nice, satisfying treat for the next four weeks or so.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-05-27, 07:53

I can't wait to watch this with my family. We are all interested in this one, other than Mrs T actually. I'm going to avoid this thread for now to miss the spoilers. Scanning RSS feeds is also hard... spoilers abound! It is so early in the season I'm not worried about too much being given away, but still.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-27, 08:31

That’s the thing. In theory you should be able to scan feeds, go to Yahoo and YouTube, etc. with no worry. No, nothing big happened, but definitely some things that you wouldn’t want to learn about via an inconsiderate headline or YouTube thumbnail.

All people have to do is just not spoil stuff in their headlines and video titles/thumbnails, but noooo…

Cretins.

Just so you know, anything about the show itself, I will put in spoiler tags. I’m just going to do that because a) I want to discuss, but b) I’m not looking to spoil things for people.

That would make me a hypocrite, especially in light of the reason I wake up at 3am to watch. Rest assured, ol’ Paulie ain’t gonna be the reason anyone here sees something they don’t want…as long as they resist the urge to click the spoiler box! I can’t be responsible for anyone’s lack of self-control/willpower.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-05-27, 08:42

I truly do appreciate it. That is why I was willing to see the thread here this morning!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-27, 09:11

No problem. It's the right thing to do...doesn't take any time/effort to type those spoiler tags. And especially now, Brad having fixed that little glitch that wasn't letting them show up in iOS Safari, I feel better about it. I know the tags will appear no matter what people are reading on, so I'll speak freely, guilt/worry-free.

Like right now...

I keep thinking about that sweet, totally unexpected curveball they threw us last night.

Because of the main character/show title, the location you knew he would be living, etc. we were probably all expecting any focus on a 10-year-old to be, naturally, Luke. But other than just a brief scene of him running around the Lars homestead and then pretending to fly a spaceship (and him being mentioned in a conversation between Obi-Wan and Owen in town), that was all we saw/heard of him.

When that first shot of Alderaan appeared (we know what it looks like, the terrain and architecture from that closing shot in Revenge of the Sith when Bail arrives back home with infant Leia) I was like "wait...what?"

And then you see this cute tiny little girl running around, being a bit of a willful handful to her parents, and with a vocabulary and intelligence far beyond her years, you just kinda melt. And then to hear her name again... "ohmigosh, there she is!"...acting exactly how you'd imagine this character to be at age 10.

And she's so little. When she was standing next to Bail on the veranda (Jimmy Smits is tall, at least 6'2"), she was so tiny. Even when he knelt down on one knee to console her, he was still about 6-8" taller than she was! She's just a little munchkin, but with the mind of a 29-year-old. In fact, on a couple of occasions her precocity and way of speaking made for some humor. Obi-Wan "How old are you?!" And then he made a nice comparison to "someone I once knew" (a strong, independent and stubborn person) "I'm not stubborn!" (after an entire two episodes of being nothing but).

Obi-Wan, of course, was talking about Padme, her mother. Shows like this will help "rehabilitate" and improve how the prequels sit/come across, IMO. Giving an older Christensen a second chance to do a better job, sweet references to Padme, etc. will maybe help re-frame some things, or at least cause the viewer to think back a bit more fondly on those three movies?

The "recap" that appeared before the first episode was indeed a montage of important scenes from the three prequel episodes, to fully help set the stage about where everyone is, and why. And during Obi-Wan's dream while sleeping in his cave (he wasn't yet acquired that little house that Alec Guinness had in A New Hope), it was all quick-cut scenes of bad, sad things seen in the prequels. So those movies are going to loom large in this series, and, so far, it's been done really well.

It was just a pleasant surprise, and totally nothing I'd ever considered. I thought at some point in the six episodes, Obi-Wan might have a video/hologram call with Bail, and Leia be mentioned in passing ("She's doing well, my friend" or whatever). But to have her actually figure prominently into the plot that spanned both episodes, and to show Alderaan, including inside buildings/rooms, forest, family stuff, etc. was out of nowhere. And I loved it.

If you'd told me "Paul, guess who factors in quite heavily into the first two episodes of a show called Obi-Wan Kenobi, ostensibly to be set on Tatooine"...Leia, Bail Organa, Alderaan, etc. would've all escaped my first 50 guesses.

"Boba Fett? Chewbacca? Jabba? Qui-Gon Force ghost? FaceTime call with exiled Yoda? Watto? Greedo? Sebulba? Bib Fortuna? Any number of the Mos Eisley cantina patrons from A New Hope? Artoo? Threepio? CGI Tarkin? The Emperor? 10-year-old Wedge?" And on and on. I would've proceeded to pretty much name everyone in the saga except 10-year-old Leia (and her father).

Never would've guessed what they actually showed. Someone at Lucasfilm did that on purpose, throwing us that nice curve.

"You think we're gonna zig, and be all about "kid Luke on Tatooine", but we're actually gonna zag...here's kid Leia on Alderaan (and elsewhere). You're welcome!"

That's "subverting expectations" done right/well.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-05-27 at 09:44.
ÂĄDamned!

2022-05-27, 09:45

I haven't read the spoiler tags yet, but I was imagining the timeline this morning and trying to remember as much as I could about Episode III without rewatching, and something occurred to me.... at the end of Episode III we see Palpatine and Vader overlooking the construction of the Death Star. So, 9 years later the thing pretty much has to be finished, right? What if... Obi-Wan has already been on the Death Star before his final meeting with Vader in Episode IV? What if that's how he knew where the power thingamajiggy on the ledge was? What if it puts in context what Vader meant by saying "You should not have come back."

Kinda blew my own mind over breakfast, tbh.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-27, 10:14

Good pull, I never thought of that.

They were building it at the end of Revenge of the Sith, and it just had it's first real test-firing (Jedha?) in Rogue One, immediately before A New Hope. So, yeah...smack-dab in the center of those ~20 years, when Obi-Wan Kenobi takes place, that thing may have been completed. While maybe not fully operational with its main weapon (that was part of the plot of Rogue One, it would certainly be a major home base/port/operations center for the Empire. Just its size alone would be terrifying.

Yeah, I never thought about that. Hmmm...

Vader did indeed say "you should not have come back" to Obi-Wan during their duel. If Vader's just talking in the general (how Obi-Wan finally resurfaced after years of laying low), or was being literal ("back here, to the Death Star", after a previous failed mission or some other reason that put him there), who knows? That would be kinda cool.

I assumed, at some point in this six-episode run - if we're going to see Vader and all - that we'd get some sort of Death Star cameo. Whether it's a full-on internal sequence, ongoing or otherwise, or just a brief, sitting-in-space nod/Easter egg...I believe it'll make an appearance of some sort. It definitely belongs in the timeline and, at that point, is probably mostly constructed and functioning as a base.

The very final shot of the second episode of Obi-Wan Kenobi makes it obvious that Obi-Wan is now aware that Vader/Anakin is alive, and that Vader "heard" Obi-Wan speak his name ("Anakin...") through the Force...his eyes popped open in that bacta tank, as if Obi-Wan saying his old name was "reaching out" and awoke Vader while undergoing a tank session. They are now both "awake" to things...Vader is indeed alive, and Vader knows that Obi-Wan knows this. Makes me think that they'll have at least one Rey/Kylo Force FaceTime in this series, taunting each other or whatever.

"You left me there, to die...legless, on fire, lungs burning."

"Well, you were being a complete asshole if you'll recall, so yeah. I didn't choke your old lady out, that was you, Anakin."

"Don't call me that...that name has no meaning for me now."

"Anakin, Anakin, Anakin...boogity-boogity-BOO! Lighten up, Darth Francis...".

"Did you call me just to talk some shit, Kenobi?"

"Maybe...".

"If I ever see you again, I'm going to cut you in half!"

"In your dreams, padawan. Hey, Anakin...how many Sith does it take to scr...".

*click*

Their link is still there, across the galaxy. That was a great scene!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-05-27 at 10:53.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-27, 10:56

Wednesday is so far away.

That’s your uncle talking…

PS -

After a brief re-watch and looking at some clips, I do believe the young black girl shown at the very beginning, amongst that group of younglings at the Jedi temple, is now Reva. It would account for her outside status amongst the inquisitors and her anger at/obsession with Obi-Wan, who she probably feels didn't protect them? There was a reason that Order 66 sequence was shown, and there was a reason that particular character was given a bit of face time and dialogue.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-05-27 at 16:49.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2022-05-29, 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
After a brief re-watch and looking at some clips, I do believe the young black girl shown at the very beginning, amongst that group of younglings at the Jedi temple, is now Reva. It would account for her outside status amongst the inquisitors and her anger at/obsession with Obi-Wan, who she probably feels didn't protect them? There was a reason that Order 66 sequence was shown, and there was a reason that particular character was given a bit of face time and dialogue.
Yep, I picked up on that immediately and had top explain it to my housemates.

I want to leave a bigger reaction but my thumb tendon is exploded and I can only type with my left hand. patience is limited. I'm gonna just scream AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-29, 18:08

I'm used to how good desert wilderness scenes look on these shows, after two seasons of The Mandalorian and that Boba Fett series.

But those scenes in that city in episode 2 were downright movie-level. Reminded me of that sequence in Attack of the Clones, pursuing that bounty hunter. But, 20 years on, it's even better looking...the neon reflecting on the wet pavement, all the little details that make it look suitably Star Wars-y, the hustle and bustle of a busy city, etc. There was nothing "TV show" about it, IMO (granted, I don't watch a ton of TV, so maybe lots of other sci-fi shows look this good, I wouldn't know).

But this show looks really good. I could've easily imagined myself sitting at the multiplex, watching all this unfold on a big movie screen and it would've felt totally at place. Some TV shows look like TV shows (no slam, just a general, overall "look"/vibe). And some...well, they just don't. Obi-Wan Kenobi, so far, kinda looks like a Star Wars movie to me. I don't know enough about the technical side of that stuff to know/explain why...it just does.

PS - At only six episodes (and we've already had two), this show - unlike the Boba Fett one - better not have any throwaway, pointless "filler" episodes or 30-minute drawn-out "nothing's happening" sequences...that stuff only flies on a show with 12+ episodes a season. Otherwise there's just no excuse; make each episode count/hit, to the max. In other words, I really don't want a 42-minute detour - in a show called Obi-Wan Kenobi - centered on Owen's droids trying to organize a union or some shit. This show is about one person, first and foremost, and their miserable existence 10 years after the events of Episode III, and how they're starting to find their old footing/purpose again as the years have rolled by.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-05-30 at 14:03.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-05-31, 09:23

I finally got to watch the second episode last night and I did really enjoy these two.
Seeing how broken down they portrayed Ben was awesome. That is how so many people go through life with their head down and just grinding away.

The Inquisitors are a nice addition to the story line. It never occurred to me that they would be there since I would have assumed the Jedi were all gone as implied in New Hope. Sure Yoda still lived, but that was in a swamp so it hadn't occurred to me that there might be more out there, let alone enough to have a hit squad out looking for just them.

The revelation that Anakin/Vader was alive was really well captured. McGregor did an amazing job portraying that.

There is more, but most of it was covered earlier so I won't rehash it.

I will add, this series is already leaps and bounds better than Boba. Still shocked I watched that whole thing.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-31, 09:42

Yeah...

I don't know how/why I thought that Obi-Wan didn't know Anakin/Vader was still alive. But seeing him in the condition he left him, I can understand why he would've assumed he died there on that lava field...he didn't know Palpatine and troopers showed up soon after with medical gear. In a New Hope, he talks about him in the here and now, seeming to know he's alive. So I guess they're showing that this is that point in his life, 10 years after Mustafar, that he came to know it, via Reva.

Odd that he couldn't sense it with the Force? Sometimes the Force is bound more by drama rules than metaphysical/spiritual ones, huh?

Could neither sense each other, then, for these past 10 years? The way Vader's eyes opened when Obi-Wan whispered "Anakin" seems to imply that it was an equal shock to Vader as well? Someone he never thought he'd hear from again is out there, and is now aware he's still alive?

That was a nice scene, a nice visual reverse, with just one spoken word..."Anakin", while a slow zoom-in on Obi-Wan (like the realization is smothering him), and then that reverse slow zoom out on Vader, so we get another glimpse of him like we saw in Rogue One...no suit/mask and floating in a tank, all messed up. Nice shot/camera work.

I've already got my alarm set for 2:55am tonight, and I'm looking very forward to the third installment. Weird to think that after this new episode overnight, we're already halfway done. I imagine maybe a bit more scene/stage-setting, and then the final three episodes be more of a Shit Gets Real™ tone/approach, with Obi-Wan and Vader both now actively aware of each other, and maybe even seeking each other out (Vader for revenge, Obi-Wan for redemption). I assume there's a third showdown between them in this series, maybe the final episode (ending in a draw?), taking place between the two we've seen in episodes 3 and 4? If so, it'll be the first time Obi-Wan sees Vader in full-on suit/armor/mask, and that's going to wreck him..."Anakin is no more", etc.

That might account for his quick aging/hair whitening in the ~10 years between this show and A New Hope. Because at some point, studly Ewan McGregor turns into a wrinkled, white-haired Alec Guinness of an old man in a fairly short amount of time. I can imagine that process being sped up by seeing his old friend in their current state..."more machine than man, twisted and evil". In fact, I think it would be a nice shot in the closing moments of the final episode if we get a glimpse of an older Obi-Wan, maybe time-jump ahead about five years, and we see a markedly older-looking, weathered Obi-Wan, with McGregor given a bit of makeup/hair treatment putting him closer to A New Hope Obi-Wan...shorter, greyed hair, more wrinkles around the eyes/face, etc. Nicely bridging that gap between the character and the two actors who portrayed him. 10 years in, Obi-Wan is still looking quite PT Obi-Wan (episodes II and III...with the longer, darker hair, etc.), so I think it would be cool if they finished up with a shot that makes everyone go "yeah, I can see him looking the way he did the first time Luke met him" (after Obi-Wan scared off the sand people).

In fact, some company made a collectible figure of that very thing, some years back. I saw it online. They'd gone in and created a nice mid-ground blend of McGregor and Guinness, depicting an Obi-Wan older than this show, but younger than A New Hope, I'm kinda hoping this show does something like that...would just require a wig (or McGregor buzzing his hair a bit and getting some silver/greying applied) and a smidge of aging makeup.

PS - Had McGregor been unable - or unwilling - to return to the role for this series, I've always thought Kenneth Branagh would've made an excellent Obi-Wan during this era. Do some Googling, comparing his face to Alec Guinness (and even Ewan McGregor), and see if you don't agree. He almost looks like a blend between the two, and would've been very convincing in the role, IMO, had McGregor been unavailable.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-05-31 at 10:12.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-05-31, 11:36

Well, dang! What a fun show. Jess and I got to watch last Friday afternoon because of a delayed flight, and we loved it.

Here's the funny thing for me. Just a few minutes into the first show, I hit pause and looked at Jess and said, "You know, if they drop in 10-year-old Luke, what's to stop them from dropping in 10-year-old Leia?" She said, sure, that makes sense, and we went back to watching. Two minutes later I hit pause, again, looked at her with a smirk, and said, "I bet you this entire series is about Leia. We already know what Luke was doing for twenty years, but we have no idea what Leia's life was like. This is gonna be about her."

A few minutes later and I was, like, *pause*, *high-five*, "I KNEW IT!!"

Paul has, as usual, said everything I'm thinking, especially the bit about Ewan McGregor being the perfect actor for the roll. He bought into Obi-Wan years ago and made the role believable and fun, and he's back! I've seen numerous interviews of him talking about getting ready for the role, and all of the research he did. He not only watched himself, but Alec Guinness; he watched Dart Vader, he watched light saber battles, he practiced his accent, his walk, his mannerisms (like the way he strokes his mustache when he's thinking, just as Alec did while leaning back in a chair all those years ago). He even mentioned that, when he first went onto the set and got into costume and started reading some lines, that he wasn't at all happy with his voice, how it didn't seem very Obi-Wan-y and he knew he had a lot of work to do. It takes a great actor to recognize those things and work to correct them, and it's paid off — in spades!

Ewan McGregor is Obi-wan Kenobi!

Deborah Chow has done a masterful job on the first two episodes (she's directing all six ), and the entire crew is incredibly passionate about the story. They've done great, and the music/visuals are awesome! Love it.

Love where the story is going, love that the Third Sister recognized that Obi-Wan and Bail Organa were once acquaintances, but doesn't recognize who Leia actually is, and love the way she used Leia to get to Obi-Wan to draw him out. I love the Third Sister's rebellious attitude and her killer drive, which makes her solidly evil — and I already can't wait to watch her take Obi-Wan's light saber to the face!

The little actress playing Leia is wonderful, and her character is brilliantly "Little Princess Leia", with all her snarky comments and attitude. It's easy to see this one growing into that one. And, yet, the writers also gave her the kind of little-kid fear that would be present in such situations. I hate it when they make 10-year-old kids too "adult-y" for the movies. This little gal is almost too much, but then there are places where she's scared, as she should be.

I love it. Can't wait for the next one, and the next, and the next one …

And if Ahsoka Tano shows up, you're gonna hear my nerd-gasm from across the galaxy!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-05-31, 12:06

I have to say, I'm regretting that I haven't pushed through Clone Wars faster. So many things that are being referenced that it would be nice to have already seen the reference. I'm sure I'll get there.
I didn't even think about Leia personally. I think the girl they got playing her and how they portray her character are awesome though. Definitely what I would expect given her older character we all know.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-05-31, 12:13

I've tried to get through both Clone Wars and Bad Batch because there are some things in there that I feel would be helpful to know, but I just can't find the time to watch through them.

This show however, this pushes everything else back.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-05-31, 12:17

Exactly. That is where I am with it. I want to... Rebels included but just don't have the time to give to watching TV. I need to retire. My dad only watches TV now. Well, yard work too...

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-31, 12:20

I was thinking about that...

Ahsoka is certainly alive - she's still alive in The Mandalorian, set 5-6 years after ROTJ - so, yeah. And with the makeup and all - and Rosario Dawson's ageless appearance - it could work. Apparently she was born 36 BBY, and this show, ~10 years before A New Hope, would have the character at around 26. There isn't a soul on the planet who wouldn't buy Dawson as the character at that age. She'd pull it off, absolutely.

I'll be honest...I'm not expecting her to show up, even though she certainly "fits" and has such strong ties to both Obi-Wan and Anakin/Vader. But I just don't see it, for some reason. It would be a nice surprise. She's popped up on the other two live-action Disney+ Star Wars shows, so maybe she's the glue that kinda connects them all together? She's the only character who's still alive from the Clone Wars era through The Mandalorian era, correct? Others either weren't born yet (Luke and Leia), are Force ghosts (Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin) or outright dead (Bail Organa, Mace Windu). Ahsoka is still walking around, in the flesh, in The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett at ~45.

I am, however, fully expecting Liam Neeson's Qui-Gon at some point. It looks like they're showing that, even after 10 years, Obi-Wan hasn't quite gotten that down yet. He calls for Qui-Gon after his nightmare, but nothing happened. I don't know if that's meant to show Obi-Wan hasn't learned how to commune with his former master, or if it's meant to show that he's actually been doing so for 10 years, but, for whatever reason, Qui-Gon didn't respond/appear in that instance. Could go either way...I'm not quite sure how to take that scene just yet.

But I have to believe, in the four episodes left, Obi-Wan is going to be seen talking to his blue, glowing master. I've believed this ever since the show was announced, and I'll be stunned if it doesn't happen. And although he's not dead yet, I have to believe Yoda will appear in some way. Obi-Wan, Bail Organa and Yoda were the last three to kinda see each other at the very end of Revenge of the Sith. We've already got Obi-Wan, Bail showed up in the first episode, so it just seems like Yoda would too. Now that Luke and Leia are in more of a risky, shaky situation, those three may want to have a conversation, echoing back to their discussion at the end of Episode III about what to do with the twins. Whether it's some sort of encrypted hologram (the same way Bail and his wife contacted Obi-Wan), or it's more of a Force-link/bond between the two, I just can't imagine this show ending without at least one appearance by both Qui-Gon and Yoda, separately or even together somehow. No, I don't think Yoda shows up and does anything. He'll still be on Dagobah and it'll just be a conversation, via tech or the Force.

Now that Obi-Wan is aware that Anakin is alive, and what he's become, that upheaval and despair is going to have him call out to his former mentors/masters for advice, comforting, answers, etc. Those two have direct, strong ties to Anakin as well...Qui-Gon found him, Yoda spent plenty of time with him. Who better than to counsel Obi-Wan on this painful, newly-learned bit of info? And they may not even know Anakin is still alive...Obi-Wan didn't, so maybe he's the one who tells them?

So, yeah...my predictions/odds for who will appear by the end of the final episode:
Qui-Gon (Force ghost): 95%,
Yoda (via Space FaceTime or the Force): 85-90%
Ahsoka (real life): 60-65%

Any three of those characters make all the sense in the world, with their ties to both Anakin and Obi-Wan. If Neeson will crank out those cheesy revenge/action/wolf-fighting movies at such a clip, I have to believe that he'd come in for 1-2 days' work (a bit of costume/hair-and-makeup) to read some lines in front of a green screen or whatever. What an easy way to earn a nice paycheck. And you know Frank Oz is down for it. He always participates in any SW stuff! He's like Anthony Daniels, only far less pompous and grating.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-05-31 at 12:38.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-05-31, 12:27

With the number of times Ben called for Qui-Gon I wouldn't be shocked if there is some Liam on screen no matter how it happens. They are almost pushing for it aren't they? At least it felt like it to me.

Ahsoka would be cool and certainly doable, but I almost expect her to stay in hiding more. She would clearly have a strong connection to Anakin, with him being her Master. Hard to tell for this one. It could go either way.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-01, 03:29

Oh my.

This episode did not screw around!

It looked amazing, that desert-y planet, along with the Imperial facility in the water. Great visuals.

Vader! And it's Rogue One Vader, where he's just killing the hell out of people.

Obi-Wan and Vader reunite. That was a genuinely tense scene, the stalking and dueling. Obi-Wan now fully sees what became of Anakin.

"I am what you made me."

There's something going on with Reva. I sense the conflict within her.

They're playing up the hyper-angry, always-screaming-at-everyone thing a bit too much, IMO (misdirection?). I just have a feeling she'll wind up turning before it's all over, but dying at the hands of Vader after helping Obi-Wan. Just a gut hunch. Something about her isn't fully bought into her gig as an inquisitor. She seems to hate every one of her co-workers, and I’m sure she’s terrified of winding up on Vader’s bad side. I think she will find her way back to the light at some point in the final three installments.

I truly thought we were going to see Qui-Gon. That has to pay off at some point. Obi-Wan is really trying to reach out to him, and they're showing it, over and over. No way we don't get rewarded with blue, glowing Liam Neeson at some point before this is all over!

Not gonna lie...for a few seconds I thought the unseen, referenced pilot (who was going to get them out of that planet) was a certain smuggler-for-hire. I was like "they're going to drop a de-aged Harrison Ford on us...". Nope. But I was kinda expecting it. Knowing now what they're capable of with this stuff, it wouldn't have surprised me one bit. According to some Googling (and current canon), he wouldn't been about ~22 during this time period. It might've been a bit much, but it would've been cool.

Cool scenes/visuals:

- Imperial probe droid (I love the sound it makes...takes me right back to Hoth, that whirring, sinister hum)

- Vader's castle on Mustafar, as it was established in Rogue One

- The stormtrooper falling from the tower and cutting himself in half on the electric gate

- Obi-Wan finally ignites his lightsaber, then promptly gets his ass handed to him by a stronger Vader...so tense! Vader is actually scary here. Just a cruel bastard and in full-on villain mode. There is no conflict within him at this particular point!

- Those TIE fighters hanging in the ceiling of that Imperial facility

- The overall look/visuals in that water-based Imperial facility...all that glossy black, with punches of red lighting reflecting everywhere

- That other inquisitor (Fourth Sister?) is kinda hot, in that meanie, hard-case way I tend to go for. What can I say, I have a type.

- Getting a good look at Vader's messed-up body and the various things grafted on/embedded into him (spine, etc.). Savage. And then seeing him getting suited up by the robotic arms...

- Little Leia is still adorable as can be, but she needs to learn to be quiet sometimes. On 2-3 occasions her chirping up made things tougher than they needed. Sweet that Obi-Wan fixed her little droid (Lola?)

- This is like watching a movie. A very well-made Star Wars movie. Everyone involved should be very proud. It's better than anything they've put on the big screen in quite some time. The writing, acting, pacing, visuals, coherency, stakes, etc. are all firmly in place and so watchable. I'm going to hate to see this show end. If this is the future of Star Wars - episodic TV, created/helmed by folks who seem to "get it" - I'm 110% fine with that.

- Confirmed in the closing credits: James Earl Jones as the voice of Darth Vader. As it should be.

- I still can't get over just how good and "real" this looks, on a TV scale/budget. Those planets/environments, just the scope and scale of it all. That planet they landed on, the hilly, scrubby desert-y one. I'd love to know where in SoCal(?) that was filmed, the basic plates and all. I'm sure there was some CGI enhancement, but I'm betting a lot of it was as it was shown. Those little trees, almost like Joshua trees.

Good stuff. I'm enjoying this series every bit as much as The Mandalorian, probably even more just because of the timeframe involved, and all the familiar faces I've got so many decades of familiarity or investment in...Obi-Wan, Vader, Leia, Bail, Owen, etc. It's all making my inner 8-year-old happy. To me, this is Star Wars. It’s hitting those marks that the OT does, and it’s also making me appreciate/think back on the prequels more than I ever thought I would. It’s bridging those two trilogies really well, in a way I wasn’t expecting. A foot firmly planted in each saga, and filling in those in-between blanks nicely. Until today, I just assumed Vader and Obi-Wan fought only twice...Mustafar and the Death Star. Nope...they went at it on some little backwater mining planet too.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-06-01 at 08:32.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-01, 11:03

We haven't watched #3 yet, nor have I read your post, Paul, because I want to wait and watch it with my daughter.

But!

That said, I'm hunting YouTube this morning and right on my front feed is this bullshit! These bastards just can't wait for their clicks.

I din't watch it, and I'm not going to.

I tucked that into a spoiler tag so's folks don't click the spoiler links to see 1 minute clips that YouTwats post under the guise of "journalism".

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-01, 12:47

See?

All these people are the reason I bite the bullet and get up and watch at 3am, as soon as the episode hits, just so I don't have to tiptoe around all day. Just easier than way...

Just three more weeks.

Trust me, the thing you posted was mild!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-01, 12:55

Yeah, I know. I don't hunt the news websites, nor do I have any RSS feeds, so I escape most of the BS. Still, this is the first time I've seen a spoiler video on my YouTube front page.

They pay the Ken price, though, since I hit whoever they are with the old "Don't Recommend Channel" button. I don't care what they produce normally. If they shove spoiler crap into my feed I kick them out. Plenty of other content to cover the boring periods of my day, plus it helps (maybe?) the YouTube quantum-computer AI understand that I don't want to see that stuff.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-02, 11:21

Fun episode. Posting before reading the RDV* above.

Obi-Wan is clearly suffering from some serious PTSD, a total lack of confidence, and "I ain't practiced since you was knee-high to a grasshopper". The dude is messed up, and clearly the loss of his "brother" has impacted him in ways we never imagined. He is suffering. He's lonely, he's angry, and — uncanny for Obi-Wan Kenobi — he's scared. That really shows itself when he is forced to confront Anakin Skywalker aka, Darth Vader. Obi-Wan is truly a shadow of his former self. Yet, methinks something is coming in episode 6 that will demonstrate he hasn't lost his chops with the trusty, ol' saber.

Darth Vader is as intimidating as ever. (FWIW, I'm trying really hard to instill in my brain the Darth Vader of Episodes 4-6 and Rogue One, rather than the whiny bitch of Episodes 1-2 & 3/4.) Good ol' Darth isn't even trying when he faces Obi-Wan, and it's clear that he has truly become the master. His use of the force to torment civilians for no reason whatsoever, his Vader-walk, his easy handling of his light saber. He's just … all the things. Powerful, sinister, mean, evil, Darth Vader. Obi-Wan is no longer a challenge for him, both because Obi-Wan has let his powers go and because Anakin has been hard at work mastering his skills. It's very clear from this episode that he harbors a great deal of hatred toward Obi-Wan for that slice-and-dice-and-roast he got all those years ago. He wants his revenge, and he wants it bad — bad enough to force-choke his old master and hold him over a BBQ. Holy cow, what an enraged bastard he's become!

The former Anakin Skywalker has had plenty of time to just soak in his bacta tank and think of 10,000 ways to torment Obi-wan. It's a great story line, and it demonstrates why it was so easy for him to "strike down" his old friend in A New Hope. The poor guy was just enraged and had lost any and all compassion. He was so focused on revenge that he's become a tyrant, and perhaps that's not a strong enough word. He's an arrogant asshole, and I think this series is placing him squarely back on top as Hollywood's most despicable villain.

There are elements in here that are kind of slow and wandering, but I think it ads to ObiWan's sense of fear and confusion. He's lost in his own mind, and he's lost on the ground. He no longer has a complete grasp on the force that would lead him to his goal. Rather, he's stumbling around, needing help from all corners, and relying on a stinky, little curtain-climber to knock a bit of sense into him from time to time.

Oh, and he doesn't seem to have forgotten how to use one of those uncivilized blasters. Dude is damned good with that thing.

And now we have to wait to see how the "crazy old man" reacquires the prize, who will likely get to meet her real father after all.

Also, Wilhelm screen! It isn't Star Wars without one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Good stuff. I'm enjoying this series every bit as much as The Mandalorian, probably even more just because of the timeframe involved, and all the familiar faces I've got so many decades of familiarity or investment in...Obi-Wan, Vader, Leia, Bail, Owen, etc. It's all making my inner 8-year-old happy. To me, this is Star Wars. It’s hitting those marks that the OT does, and it’s also making me appreciate/think back on the prequels more than I ever thought I would. It’s bridging those two trilogies really well, in a way I wasn’t expecting. A foot firmly planted in each saga, and filling in those in-between blanks nicely. Until today, I just assumed Vader and Obi-Wan fought only twice...Mustafar and the Death Star. Nope...they went at it on some little backwater mining planet too.
All of this. Oh, and remember this quote from Episode IV: "I sense something. A presence I've not felt since …" We were lead to believe that was from the battle on Mustafar, but now …

* Reader's Digest Version

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-02, 16:56

Hey, a heads-up to fellow Disney+ Star Wars viewers...

The latest issue of Vanity Fair (June 2022) has a big cover story on the four current/upcoming shows (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Andor, the third season of The Mandalorian and 2023's Ahsoka). The cover is Ahsoka, Mando, Obi-Wan and Andor, all in costume/character, all standing together in a blue-lit scene/backdrop. Can't miss it.

EDIT: Ah, here you go...

Good article, with interviews with Favreau, Filoni, Chow, Kennedy, along with Pedro Pascal, Ewan McGregor, Rosario Dawson and Diego Luna...pretty much all the people you'd want to hear from, on both sides of the camera. Also a nice little section about the Volume, that curved wall LED virtual set they use, how it came to be (how it tricked James Cameron with its realism, etc.).

My neighbor subscribes, and she knows I watch this stuff so she let me borrow it to read. I'll give it back in a bit. I'm about halfway in, but it's interesting to hear how some of this has come about. The Obi-Wan thing was actually intended to be a movie at first, McGregor is an executive producer so he can exercise some control/call the shots over what he feels is best for the character. There's a section about Chow going to Hayden Christensen's house a couple of Christmases ago and laying out the show and why it's important for his Vader to be involved, and that he signed on afterwards.

Oh, and really nice photography, as usual, by Annie Leibovitz, of the actors in character and of the various directors, shlwrunners, etc. and then some behind-the-scenes shots too.

On newsstands now, as they say. Or if you know someone who subscribes/buys it regularly, hit them up to borrow it for an hour.

PS - Do you know how long it's been since I've read anything like this in print?! I'm on my couch, with my reader glasses on (yeah, I know...) and it hit me "this is the kind of thing I typically read online...". I honestly can't recall the last time I held a magazine in my hands! Years and years. Feels kinda nice, actually.

But is it weird I keep double-tapping the page, trying to make the text bigger?

There may be some way to read the article/see the photos at Vanity Fair's website, I don't know.

But it's definitely worth a read for those of us who watch/enjoy/discuss these shows. Ol' Uncle Paulie wouldn't steer anyone wrong on such important matters!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-02, 17:17

And for those who visit Vanity Fair for the first time, you get one free article.

May as well make it a good one.

Quote:
Lucasfilm intended to make Obi-Wan Kenobi as a movie, to be directed by Oscar nominee Stephen Daldry. McGregor would be a producer this time, giving him more say over the story. “I just said, ‘I think that it should be a story about a broken man, a man who’s lost his faith,’ ” he says. “He always has a funny line to say or always seems to be calm and is a good warrior or soldier or whatever, but to see that man come apart, and see what gets him back together again—that’s where we started.”
I love that. Affirms what I've been thinking through 3 episodes.

Quote:
Part of Chow’s successful perspective on “why” Vader and Kenobi should face each other again may surprise even the most ardent Star Wars fans, especially those who think of the two as harboring an epic contempt for one another. “For me, across the prequels, through the original trilogy, there’s a love-story dynamic with these two that goes through the whole thing,” Chow says. “I felt like it was quite hard to not [include] the person who left Kenobi in such anguish in the series.” What intrigued her was the idea that despite what Vader had become, Kenobi might still care deeply about him. “I don’t know how you could not,” she says. “I don’t think he ever will not care about him. What’s special about that relationship is that they loved each other.”
"You were my brother, Anakin! I loved you."

I can still hear Obi-Wan saying that, and how real Ewan McGregor made it feel. Those last fifteen or so minutes of Episode III are some of Star Wars' best. Lucas never sold me on Vader's evil in those three movies, but Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen did so during that fight. "I am what you made me!" will become one of the saga's greatest lines, especially when looking back to that duel.

Quote:
In October 2021, after Dawson had shot guest spots, she read a trade report about Christensen possibly joining her stand-alone show. Anakin Skywalker had been the character’s mentor, and Vader’s memory would understandably still haunt her. Dawson took a screenshot of the headline and opened Instagram, using the characters’ nicknames for each other from The Clone Wars as a caption. “I just posted, ‘Skyguy…They know!!! See you soon, Snips.] ” Only later did she realize that the report was just an unconfirmed rumor. Fans took her post as hard confirmation, and the powers that be at Lucasfilm were distressed. “I looked in my email, and Star Wars was like, ‘You might want to take that down,’ ” Dawson remembers. “I’m like, ‘Man, I can’t be trusted.’ ”

Great article, Paul. Thanks for posting that.

Last edited by kscherer : 2022-06-02 at 17:58.