User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

phpMyAdmin can connect to DB but not me, why?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
phpMyAdmin can connect to DB but not me, why?
nassau

2006-10-08, 10:58

i have a working (well...) database abstraction. it worked flawlessly - until last night. out of the blue it can't connect to the database. however, phpMyAdmin has no problem.

and i know what you're thinking, i must have changed something in the code right? nope. the first symptom of something going wrong was that it took forever to load a page, it would time out after 30 seconds. after switching sharing on and off i got the message "could not connect to database.

this has happened before, a long time ago. i finally solved that problem by updating to a newer MySQL. i tried doing the same this time but it didn't help.

does anyone have a clue what might have happened? i'm in the dark here..

thanks
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2006-10-08, 11:07

Where is it hosted? Some stupid hosts only allow *internal* connections to their DBs; making phpMyAdmin an acceptable connection, but refusing all others.

Could that be the thing that changed?
nassau

2006-10-08, 11:42

it's hosted locally on my own machine. and like i said, it's been working flawlessly "forever" - then all of a sudden it stopped working.

are there "log files" or something like that that might have been clogged up?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-10-08, 14:44

How are you trying to connect to the database? Via command-line? Did you check to be sure you're using the right login/password?
nassau

2006-10-08, 18:51

no, via php. and yes, the password etc is correct. like i said - one minute it was working, the next minute it wasn't.
nassau

2006-10-08, 19:26

and what's even more wierd is, if i set php to can a non existant database, i get the resulting "can't connect..." message in 0.1 seconds. but when i make php connect to the actual database that EXISTS, i have to wait 30 seconds to get the message.

so it actually can see that the database IS there, but won't connect..
nassau

2006-10-10, 01:40

ok, the strange solution to this strangle problem was to sort of make the script hickup. i threw in an echo 'blabla'; where the mysql connection was taking place. all of a sudden it started working as expected.

makes me wonder...