Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

Public Danger

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Public Danger
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-05-24, 08:15

I'm working with a company to get a site up off the ground. Their dev team are offshore. The project lead is going to give me access to a sandbox version of the site so I can show it to the others via Zoom so we can review it. They asked me for my public address so they can give me access. Is there any danger for me in having given this to them?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2020-05-24, 22:04

*Edit* Totally misread your post.

If you have a Dynamic IP, that may be an issue if they whitelist permission. Even if it doesn't change often, one power outage and you are locked out.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-06-11, 12:21

The best way to accomplish this if you have a dynamic assigned IP from your ISP is to use a dynamic DNS service. Then you can give them a hostname to whitelist rather than the IP. If the backend they are using can't resolve IPs from hostnames then you would have to manually look up your IP and have them whitelist it each time.

There really is no danger in giving out your public IP. After all, every web host you visit has it. Every app you have likely records it too. The problem would be if you weren't behind a firewall/NAT router. I'm guessing you don't jack directly into the ISP ethernet cable for one computer so you would be fine.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.