Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

Photo Challenge Thread (PCT): Christkwaanzanewboxeryeardaymas

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Photo Challenge Thread (PCT): Christkwaanzanewboxeryeardaymas
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-12-23, 12:17

Sorry, I'm new at this. There has already been a PCT for Winter, but I still wanted to do a seasonal one so I thought maybe this one could be based in Winter but focused on the celebrating of all the various seasonal holidays in all the various countries our contributors are from. So general wintery shots are not excluded but I'm really looking for the celebration and decoration aspect, in whatever form you feel that may take. Maybe a terrible sweater on a cat, I don't know.

Be as creative as you like, but make it something that speaks to the winter holidays, where people don't have to work and everything is decorated, family, food, sweaters on cats, hustle and bustle, city lights in the distance through the snow, etc. You get the idea.

Going to leave this open until Sunday Jan. 22 2012, 11:59 PM.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2011-12-24, 03:28

Sounds like a good topic choice.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-12-24, 11:38

I'm looking forward to this one too. I love this season.
AWR
Veteran Member

2012-01-11, 10:42

Bump! I had a look at holiday photos last night. Uff, not a single decent shot, and usually not because of the comprehensive finger smudges on the poor P&S lens (a 4 year-old will do that if you turn your back for 5 seconds). I couldn't see anything worthy of submitting but wanted to spur on the rest of the snappers as it were.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-01-11, 13:23

My season has been filled with pictures I love but can't share here...

I'll get something figured out.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-01-11, 13:25

not much of a holiday person so... no photos...
AWR
Veteran Member

2012-01-11, 14:10

Daaaammmnnnn, turtle!
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-01-19, 12:43

Just a reminder, 3 days left till this challenge ends. Anybody want an extension? We need at least one entry for a winner.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2012-01-19, 13:47

I just checked my photos, but this year I really have no fitting shot in the period of the challenge:
First my wife had removed our christmas tree and lights before I had the time to take a shot.
As plan B I tried to shoot the chimneys of the old Volkswagen factory plant which are illuminated as giant advent candles (as can be seen in this photo from last christmas). But I was too late there too.
I took some shots of the christmas market at the Autostadt in Wolfsburg on 12/09, so if you would extend the deadline into past, then I could enter the contest ...

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-01-19, 19:43

I'll find something that's fitting that's safe for work.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-01-20, 07:50

Aw...you're no fun Turtle.

I will be posting too.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-01-21, 20:19

We went to visit my parent in Nova Scotia for Christmas. They have always have kept Christmas very well, and we had a lovely time. This past year they celebrated the 50th anniversary of their marriage. My entry photo for the PCT, taken on Christmas Day, is a tribute to them.

They have always loved me intensely, and I love them right back.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.

Last edited by Chinney : 2012-01-21 at 21:46. Reason: small correction
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-01-21, 20:34

Wow 50 years (Thought i was doing well at 39 years) nice.

And they still look happy together. (insert misty smilie)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-01-21, 20:49

Ok, so here is one that really speaks of Christmas in my house. We don't get this often and it's not for minors. It's Tiramisu from a Sicilian recipe my wife got a while back.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-01-21, 21:40

Here we go.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-01-21, 21:44

This month's PCT pics are now (finally) arriving...keep them coming!
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2012-01-22, 03:35

As I already wrote, I took this shoot a few days before the start of the contest, so it is up to you if you'll accept that entry. Due to shitty weather, I had no chance to revisit the Christmas Market at the Autostadt Wolfsburg where I took this shot.

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-01-23, 14:37

And with a flurry of last second entries, the challenge is ended! Thanks for participating guys. Also I just want to say that I am not really qualified to judge people's pictures but I'll do the best I can.

turtle: Thanks, I'm super hungry now. Thanks a lot. Man, that looks good.

PB PM: Beautiful shot, I love the colors reflecting in the glass. Very clear and sharp, too, and it does absolutely convey the holidays to me.

Runner Up: GSpotter: Kids bundled up in wintry clothes on a carousel at night? Definitely. The lighting is particularly great in this shot, it almost makes me feel like I'm there.

Winner: Chinney: In my description for the challenge, I said "make it something that speaks to the winter holidays". Your shot, taken on Christmas day, says it all. The composition and technical aspects are probably beyond my abilities to discuss coherently, but I understand the content. It's alive with feeling, with happiness, and in the context in which it was taken, I felt that it spoke to the holidays the most.

All the photos were stunning - especially the tiramisu - it was sort of like having to choose between this awesome photo or that incredible one. I like them all, which is probably why I'm not a professional photo judge. Thanks for participating.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-01-23, 19:43

Thanks Xactly. Much appreciated.

I will come up with a topic for a new PCT shortly.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-01-23, 20:12

Thanks.

Congrats Chinney! Looking forward to the new challenge.