User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 31 of 49 First Previous 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35  Next Last Thread Tools
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-02-15, 07:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Several........
Like I said: never again.
Well, if nothing else, thanks for the awesome wallpaper for my phone

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-02-16, 03:37

ThunderPoit - Bryson, Bobsky, and I leveled things off and made it look nice, and repaired the damages that we could. Hopefully things are to your satisfaction. I'm happy with my part, and the raised portion is all I need for the upcoming Great Bear Lodge. The valley area near you needs torched a bit better, and may do well to have trees removed and replanted, but we'll leave that up to you. I'm thrilled with things as they are, so hopefully you aren't so upset after seeing where things currently lie. I know you were angry with how deep things went with the 'sploding. The chests out by the bear flag are yours for the taking as far as I know.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2011-02-16, 03:47

xkcd.com's Minecraft comic! http://xkcd.com/861/

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-02-16, 07:54

Thanks Rowdy. I wasn't really angry, just a bit upset that it looked like filling in the crater would have been more work than leveling the hill by hand. I gotta go to work now, but I'll check it at lunch.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-16, 19:55

Here's the hill splodey video from last night. Vimeo says it'll be ~30 minutes until it's ready.

http://vimeo.com/20042910

Performance TANKS after the reaction takes off. We're talking 1-2 frames per minute. The game managed to recover, though.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

arteggio

2011-02-16, 20:01

Is that 30min until convert a gimmick to get one to buy some pro version? Vimeo's smooth looking (nicer than YouTube), but still.

I wanted to share my latest creation:

flickr photo

The dyed wool really brightens things up. This and my castle in the far west have been the funnest things to build so far in MC. Something about replicating Gothic-esque architecture...

It was a PITA to build on that hill though. Zombies, skellies, and creepers (oh my) kept attacking my as I was carving out its base, even as I lit a bit of the side of the hill. They must've been creeping up it from the dark below. An omen against me being a blaspheming atheist, I'm sure.

EDIT: Don't walk on the south-most skyway to the west of the Skyranch. Totally had to dissect it for my steeple.

Last edited by arteggio : 2011-02-16 at 20:17.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-02-16, 20:08

Quote:
Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo

Permission to view, sire?

arteggio

2011-02-16, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post

Permission to view, sire?
For some reason, I had the idea that direct-linking to private photos would make them viewable...

Permissions fixed and granted.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-16, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
Is that 30min until convert a gimmick to get one to buy some pro version? Vimeo's smooth looking (nicer than YouTube), but still.
It's a "gimmick" in that Vimeo is a much smaller company than YouTube without the might of Google's billion servers behind it, and they have actual wait queues for conversion (like YouTube did in its early days before it was backed by Google). You can pay up to get ahead in the queue, but even that isn't a guarantee for instant access, I think.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-02-16, 20:58

Scroll to 1:45 or so in the video and freeze frame. I'm amazed any of us survived - that TNT is flying everywhere.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-02-16, 21:52

I lost health from it. Saw several explode right in front of me.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-02-17, 01:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
I lost health from it. Saw several explode right in front of me.
Sounds as if Brad's going to need to install a counseling mod.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-02-17, 01:28

Did something explode?

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-02-17, 01:54

ThunderPoit and I decided the hill by our respective homes needed to go. It went out with about 400 bangs.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-02-17, 01:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
ThunderPoit and I decided the hill by our respective homes needed to go. It went out with about 400 bangs.
I think a lot more than 400 bangs -- i personally placed 128 tnt...

Interesting mob free night on the server for a while. None of the traps were producing any mobs, and activity was decidedly low outside as well. There must be a bug in the software as this is the second time I think this has occurred when I have been logged on. The first time, I had assumed that peaceful mode was still on, but I don't think it was...

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-02-17, 08:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
I think a lot more than 400 bangs -- i personally placed 128 tnt...

Interesting mob free night on the server for a while. None of the traps were producing any mobs, and activity was decidedly low outside as well. There must be a bug in the software as this is the second time I think this has occurred when I have been logged on. The first time, I had assumed that peaceful mode was still on, but I don't think it was...
It was hit or miss for a while underground too. Was able to light up quite a bit without too much mob interference.

¡Damned!

2011-02-17, 10:35

I must've attracted them all. I'm cleaning out a seemingly endless cave system atm, and was battling some evil or another at nearly every turn.

It's about 80% lit now, so hopefully they all go back your way.

So it goes.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-02-17, 11:06

I want the mobs. I like murdering them.

I took out two skellies with a single arrow yesterday.

¡Damned!

2011-02-17, 11:20

Billy Tell?

Next I want to see you shoot a golden apple off of Brad's head.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-02-17, 14:00

Finally popped my head back in to see how things have been going in the, what...two weeks since I last logged on? Parapa continues to look more awesome every time I stop by. Couldn't hang around long, but I should be back either tonight or tomorrow, depending on homework.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-02-18, 16:35

Has anybody been able to check and see if the world was saving with the, I assume, two restarts that occurred today?

After last night's debacle I would hate to have to clear the same cave for a third time.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-18, 18:29

A single point doesn't constitute a trend in my book, especially over the course of several months running. I'd call what happened last night a fluke until we see it recur.

For what it's worth, the server should be saving at least once every 30 minutes and upon shutdown. I suspect what happened last night was that it didn't complete saving correctly when shutting down. Assuming that there's a bug ar shutdown that does recur, it should only affect changes made between the last scheduled save and the time of shutdown. So, there's some consolation that you shouldn't lose hours of work.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-02-19, 01:32

If that does happen, we *do* lose materials, however. That could really suck if it recurs.

EDIT: It recurred on a smaller scale tonight. I lost about 3 minutes worth of work, and some of the materials reappeared. Once again, some of it saved, but one chunk's worth of information did not. It was as SpecMode joined the game.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

Last edited by RowdyScot : 2011-02-19 at 03:22.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-02-19, 06:33

Sure, blame me, why don't you?

Finally found my first spawner dungeon! I was chopping down trees near Hollow Mountain in the northern desert, and I kept hearing spiders chirping nearby. Dug down a few blocks, and there it was, complete with a half-dozen angry spiders. I cleared them out, put down torches to disable the spawner, looted the chest, and then glassed over the entrance. Came back an hour later to check on it...and now it spawns pigs! Sweet!

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-02-19, 10:07

Pig spawner??? I thought those were a myth! Infinite pokchops for all!

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-02-19, 20:40

So, apparently the pig spawner got its behavior from the grass I put down a couple blocks away as a staircase. And, the pigs it spawns are immortal - they can't be killed. At all.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-02-20, 00:21

Seems like the server just fell over mid-save. Overcrowding, or did something just outright crash?

EDIT: Apparently the server just decided to boot all but one or two of us. Wonder what we did to piss it off?

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-02-21, 02:21

So in case anyone is wondering, the area under the sky ranch is being lowered as a result of my need for massive massive quantities of dirt. I am back filling the lowered terrain with a single layer of dirt to maintain the aesthetic of a field. This has had the consequence of changing the area around the mob trap, which is where I am currently focusing my efforts.

709 redesigned the upper part of the 'underground' section of the trap. I added a first floor to the safe house after excavating the area underneath it. In addition, a ground level staircase was added that allows access to the trap and intersecting tunnels.

If you are near the trap, you will likely be hearing explosions over the next week or so as I removed dirt and flatten (carefully) nearby hills. This endeavor is being undertaken with extra care so as to not damage or destroy the trap, its supporting structures or the ranch above.

Atariboy

2011-02-21, 10:09

First off- apologies.

Normally when my kid takes to the world of "bwocks" he's content to just murder cows and pigs, and the occasional sheep.

It seems my son has taken a more destructive approach. This should be limited to the area pretty close to the spawn and/or my zeppelin, but there may be blocks missing, or something broken somewhere.

If you should have anything missing/broken, please let me know- I'll make it right.

Again, apologies. He really is a good kid, and didn't mean any harm. Now that he's shown the full extent of his power, however, I'm going to teach him some responsibility. I promise

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-02-21, 11:23

Well, thankfully I haven't noticed anything yet....

When are you going to finish the zeppelin?