AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

G4 Questions

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
G4 Questions
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-01-09, 21:09

Hey I have two questions about my 400MHz G4(AGP Graphics):

1) I have a internal Zip drive. I was wondering if I could replace that and put a Dual DVD Burner in that slot.

2) With Tiger coming up I was wonder what would be the best graphic card that would work with my computer and be able to enjoy this core image stuff?

thanks.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-09, 21:23

1) No. You can replace your current CD/DVD drive with a DVD burner if you want; they tend to run about $80. But the lower slot is only wide enough for hard drives, floppy drives, and zip drives.

2) Unfortunately, the Sawtooth has some very limited graphics options. There are quite a few video cards that will work, but most do not support Core Images. The only one that both works in a Sawtooth and fully supports Core Image is the Radeon 9800 Pro. Less expensive CI-compatible cards are either only available in the G5, or only in newer G4s with AGP 4x instead of 2x.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-09, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
...or only in newer G4s with AGP 4x instead of 2x.
I thought AGP was backwards compatible. Is it not?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-09, 22:51

In most cases, yes. I'm referring to the Radeon 9600. Normally it's only available in the G5, but Other World Computing also sells modded 9600 Pros for a little over $100 that work in PowerMac G4s. But since they're made for the G5, they won't physically fit in an AGP 2x slot. You can also mod them yourself using just some tape to cover some of the pins. Anyway, I think that's the only card that works in AGP 4x PowerMacs but not in AGP 2x ones. The other G5 cards are AGP Pro only, while the Radeon 9800 Pro works in any AGP slot (even a 2x).
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-01-09, 22:55

Brad, in most cases it is... if you have an AGP PRO slot for example... but the power differences between 2x, 2x/4x, 4x, 4x/8x... are all a bit different. So you can't take an 8x card and stick it in a 2x slot... not only because the pin-out is different, but because some power feeds would fry the card and others would not supply enough power.

An AGP PRO slot (often found in low-end/mid-stream PCs, offering the most upgradeability in the long run) does not have any pin ristrictions and is set up to adapt to the card. Mind you some AGP Pro slots are only upto 4x compatible, so your new 8x card would not be using 8x.

Long story short... things are far more complicated then they need to be.

EDIT>>> Damn you Luca! hehe... beat me to it.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-09, 23:02

Oh yeah, and the Radeon 9700 for Mac (rare card that only shipped with the MDD PowerMacs in the 1.42 GHz revision) will only work with MDD PowerMacs because of a voltage issue. Don't ya love standards?
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-01-10, 01:15

It's to die for. lol

I just need one compyter to run Tiger awesomeness, and I wuld think my 2003 G3 iBook could do it(iy runs Panther like a champ), but, I'd like to try and get the G4 up to date in treams of almost being outdated.

Where can I get this Radeon 9800 Pro, since Apple isn't much help when it comes to replacing MAC parts(Hell they wanted too much for 128mb of RAM).

Edit: Shoot, forgot to ask if this will work with my Apple studio display.It's a ADC of course.

Last edited by morningstarrising : 2005-01-10 at 01:35.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-10, 02:03

It won't work with your Apple display. Sorry, but there is no card that is:

- Compatible with your PowerMac
- Fully supported for all Core Image functions
- Compatible with ADC

Of course, if you have ADC then it means you're not using a Sawtooth. It is a Gigabit Ethernet model, which unfortunately still has AGP 2x. That locks you out of even more options as far as graphics cards go.

Anyway, since you're using an ADC monitor, there's basically nothing you can do. Are you still using your stock graphics card, or has it already been upgraded? At the very least, you should try to find something like a GeForce 4MX or a Radeon 9000. It won't be 100% CoreImage capable, but you'll still see a major performance leap over the stock card (a Rage 128). While Tiger may look a little prettier with a recent video card, it's not going to be slow if you don't have one, because it automatically scales back the effects it displays based on what video card you have.

Oh, and eBay is where I generally look for video cards. Type "Radeon 9000 Mac" and don't bid more than $100 on anything. Avoid the 128 MB cards on eBay as they sell for a lot more and are no better than the 64 MB versions. And if you don't like what you're seeing at eBay, you can always get something from Other World Computing. They sell the 128 MB Radeon 9000 for $129, cheaper than most of the eBay auctions for that card. There aren't many other video cards that have ADC and are readily available, unfortunately.

Last edited by Luca : 2005-01-10 at 02:10.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-01-10, 03:45

I see. I couldn't tell them apart since the only difference between the two is the card, and my school(where I got this computer) could of gotten it anywhere.

It has the stock graphics card(Rage 128 Pro), which is why I was looking for an upgrade around Tiger. Hell even Panther doesn't look as it does on my iBook when it does Fast User switch(No spinning cube). I'd at lease want to see that. lol

Since I can't go the full Core Image without giving up a good display, then I'll just wait for the Powerbook Dual G4/G5 to see Tiger in all it's glory.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: Could I use the ADC to DVI adapter with the Radeon 9800 Pro? Or is more of an internal thing.

Last edited by morningstarrising : 2005-01-10 at 04:03.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-10, 05:16

By "ADC to DVI adapter," do you mean "DVI to ADC adapter"? The former is a simple, cheap affair that simply converts an ADC port into a DVI port. ADC contains DVI which contains VGA, so it's easy to convert from a "higher" one to a "lower" one. It's very difficult to go the other way, though.

Basically, if you want to use your nice display on a 9800 Pro, you'll have to buy the $100 adapter. An ADC to DVI adapter would be used if you want to plug a DVI monitor into the ADC port.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-01-10, 13:16

There are so many adapter, it gives me a headache. Thanks again.