Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Jim Jones and Jonestown Mass Suicide Audio

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Jim Jones and Jonestown Mass Suicide Audio
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-09-18, 12:56

I found this link on a website. It's pretty kool but kinda depressing at the same time. It's The Rev Jim Jones giving a speech at Jonestown in Guyana right before they have their mass suicide. Here is the link.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-09-18, 13:38

wow...ok, i would just like to say that was some weird, creepy shit....

how fucked up are people that they will allow themselves to become that brainwashed and do anything for one single person?!?!?!

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-09-18, 13:44

Wow, I didn't know it had been that long ago. I barely remember it, I was just a young boy (nine years old or so). I remember seeing it on the news, the aerial footage of the bodies laying around. I remember some time afterwards developing a slight aversion to Kool-Aid, hearing it in the context of that story so much, but my Mom reassured me theirs had been poisoned and that it was safe to drink the regular kind.

I hadn't thought of all this in years! Time zooms by, doesn't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_jones
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-09-18, 13:58

I saw a guy on one of the football chat shows yesterday (or maybe it was PTI) and they used the phrase "the players haven't drank the Kool-Ade yet" meaning they had not totally put their faith in the coach yet.
Then I pondered the phrase and how it's become part of the vernacular, and it can only come from one of two places, Jonestown or the Acid-Tests, I've pretty much concluded in my mind that more people are aware of the former, so that must be it's origin.
weird.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
autodata
hustlin

2006-09-18, 14:18

Wow. That is seriously fucked up.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-09-18, 14:21

Evil-undiluted.
hiltond

Send a message via AIM to hiltond  
2006-09-18, 16:02

I give up as I am incapable of understanding what drives a man to do something like this nevermind what allows for people to follow him.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-09-18, 16:04

That's because you're of sound mind (I'm assuming.) We all know it takes a true wacko to follow a wacko. Those people who followed him were either too dumb to realize what was happening or were just as crazy as he was.

You're completely right though hiltond, even the idea of doing this transcends any sort of rational thought for 99% of the world.

Come waste your time with me
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-09-18, 16:10

Aimless people looking for answers.

Remember those people a few years ago in San Diego that were found in that nice house? Had something to do with that Hale-Bopp comet and a spaceship behind it or whatever. Or the Waco Kid, David Koresh?

I'm probably too far the other way (I don't believe anybody about anything), BUT it's kept me from joining nutbags like these, or following them into the hereafter based on their goofy say-so and delusional ramblings.

It's weird that people can put all their faith and trust to such a degree (to kill themselves, etc.) into a human...a fallible, easily-corruptible (and susceptible to utter lunacy) being if there ever was one.

I believe in the things I believe, and I don't need it justified or validated by some screaming shithead on TV in a white suit and big hair. Or by some deviant twit like this Jones character.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-09-18, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
It's weird that people can put all their faith and trust to such a degree (to kill themselves, etc.) into a human...a fallible, easily-corruptible (and susceptible to utter lunacy) being if there ever was one.
I believe you've just described the last 1000 years of organized religion.
hiltond

Send a message via AIM to hiltond  
2006-09-18, 16:28

One thing that really struck me about the audio was the racial tension. Did anyone else hear a bit of that? I don't know maybe I'm off base, but I would hope that if I was a member of a community and we were all about to die I would have better things to worry about in my last half-hour.

Think about the gift this guy had. He got that many people to give up their home and lord knows what else to move to a farm out in the jungle. Imagine what good he could have done with that ability had he choose good as his aim.

Oh well.