User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New wall
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2007-02-23, 11:39

So I woke up today to this loud banging outside my back yard..... half my fence is gone, the neighbors didn't even consult my family or anything (or say "hey by the way were taking down the fence and putting in a wall...", but from what the workers say there making a wall there..... yeah, thanks for letting us know....

I have only talked to these people once, they live above me, but they did this to my other next door neighbor a couples years back, they tore down their fence, and put in like a 2 foot tall chicken wire fence, so they could see practically into the other persons house.... they didnt put the fence back till they badgered them alot....

so

I mean come on, they could have talked to us or something..... people these days

should i be scared?

If you can read this this, please send to an admin, i am blocked and cant post....
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-02-23, 11:47

Are teenagers involved?
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-02-23, 11:56

Buy a couple of machine guns, position it just outside of your windows, pointing at their house and a mortar. Send them a thank you note for giving you a clear line of sight.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2007-02-23, 12:35

Who actually owns the fence?
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-02-23, 12:39

Your thread is very confusing to someone who has only read it once, fairly quickly.

The neighbor lives upstairs but changes your fence, and they also changed your next door neighbor's fence a couple houses away, wtf.
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2007-02-23, 12:46

okay i did this really fast to give a better idea, red is where the fence is no longer

by "above me" i meant like there house is one the next street

If you can read this this, please send to an admin, i am blocked and cant post....
Foj
Veteran Member

2007-02-23, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Buy a couple of machine guns, position it just outside of your windows, pointing at their house and a mortar. Send them a thank you note for giving you a clear line of sight.
Better yet, just have one of these walk around saying "You have 20 seconds to comply."
Dave
Ninja Editor

2007-02-23, 13:04

I'm still confused as to who owns the fence. If it gets damaged, who has to fix it?
¡Damned!

2007-02-23, 13:31

I'm confused as well. Was your fence *right* on the property line or what? Seems a bit ballsy for a neighbor to tear down your fence unless it was on their property to begin with. I'd go out and tell the construction workers that if they enter your yard (which I assume they are by having to build the wall) you'll have them arrested for trespassing. That should get the freaky neighbors out to talk to your family.

So it goes.
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2007-02-23, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Was your fence *right* on the property line or what?
yeah, its weird how they set up the houses in my neighborhood, we had other segment of wood fence replaced on the right side of my house, and we went 50/50 on the cost with that neighbor.... so there is some kind of unwritten rule, that you just dont tear the fence down

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-02-23, 14:55

This thread brought to you by the letters
W, T, and F.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-02-23, 15:23

Your city should have some sort of department that deals with disputes and questionable situations such as yours. I thought this was called an 'ombudsman' service, though I could be wrong about that.

Examples:

http://www.hoanewsnetwork.com/media/...r-disputes.php

This next one is based in England, but is informative, and undoubtedly has similar regulations to what we have here in the States in every city:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...r_disputes.htm

Quote:
Party walls

There are special rules covering structural work to walls which stand across the boundary of land belonging to different owners, or which are used by two or more owners to separate buildings.

The owner must notify neighbours about any work they intend to carry out. These rules allow for the agreement or objection to any work within certain time limits, and compensation and temporary protection for buildings and property.

If there is no agreement an independent surveyor can be appointed to decide what work can be done, and how and when. For more useful information about party walls, see http://www.rics.org/Property/Propert...arty_walls.htm.
Your neighbor sounds really obnoxious. He obviously couldn't care less about the rights of others in the vicinity. Because of that, I would advise dealing with him in a courteous manner at all times, considering the type of person he seems to be. That way, you won't be found at fault in any way if a mediator is called upon to settle this problem in the future. Your loser neighbor will bear the entire burden, legally and financially. Grrr. What a creep.