User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

What iPhone/iPod touch app will you be making?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What iPhone/iPod touch app will you be making?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Dovek916

2008-03-06, 19:31

I was reading about the free SDK, and I figured, why not give it a try. I might try to make a timer that logs times by day of the week. Do you all have any ideas for app you will make?

-Drew Dovek

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-03-06, 19:33

I might make one that puts posts in the right forum....
Dovek916

2008-03-06, 19:38

I thought about putting it in the Programmer's Nook, but I felt that it wasn't a need as much as the SDK an Apple product that uses code?! maybe Feel free to move it, but I want to see that app

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-03-06, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovek916 View Post

I thought about putting it in the Programmer's Nook, but I felt that it wasn't a need as much as the SDK an Apple product that uses code?! maybe Feel free to move it, but I want to see that app
It's much more a Programmer's Nook thread. Still, though...

I'm planning on working on a to-do list first. That's the biggest thing I'm missing, so I'll just make it myself.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Dovek916

2008-03-06, 19:44

Have you tried to download the SDK? When I went to the site, the developer part was partly down, acting like it was only partly loaded. When I clicked on the download link, I got a 404. Oh well, I'll try it later.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-03-06, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovek916 View Post
Have you tried to download the SDK? When I went to the site, the developer part was partly down, acting like it was only partly loaded. When I clicked on the download link, I got a 404. Oh well, I'll try it later.
I'm actually installing right now. It took a while to download, but it got a lot faster about an hour ago. The site's still pretty slow, but the download did eventually finish.

Dovek916

2008-03-06, 20:06

I just realized that you need Leopard, oh well, there goes my plan. Will it ever come to Tiger?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-03-06, 20:09

Don't bet on it.

Actually, bet that it never will.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-03-06, 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Don't bet on it.

Actually, bet that it never will.
Right. Mobile OS X is based on Leopard, so I doubt they'll allow development on anything else. They're more likely to make a UB version of the SDK than to make it available for Tiger.

Dovek916

2008-03-06, 21:59

Quote:
They're more likely to make a UB version of the SDK than to make it available for Tiger.
Shucks. Oh well, I don't have an iPhone to use it on anyways.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2008-03-06, 22:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
Right. Mobile OS X is based on Leopard, so I doubt they'll allow development on anything else.
The development system has nothing to do with the target system (which is also different in many other respects, like CPU, existence/version of libraries, etc). It's not unusual to be developing on a system that is very different from the system you're developing for, just think mobile phones, TVs, etc. They still won't make it available for Tiger, but not for technical reasons.
Dovek916

2008-03-06, 23:23

It is really to bad that apple is already shunning Tiger users. I would love to mess around with the SDK, but I am not able to because I don't want to upgrade yet. I am at least glad that the general public can make free apps, but it would be nice if more of the general public could use it, e.g- release it to either more OS X's, and/or linux/pc. I realize that it is a good way to promote Leopard, but gosh darn it, I want to make apps to

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-03-07, 02:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
The development system has nothing to do with the target system (which is also different in many other respects, like CPU, existence/version of libraries, etc). It's not unusual to be developing on a system that is very different from the system you're developing for, just think mobile phones, TVs, etc. They still won't make it available for Tiger, but not for technical reasons.
Yes, the architecture differs, but many of the frameworks do not. Therefore, compiling from a different OS (be it Tiger, XP, Vista or something entirely different) would make for a far more complex build setup.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-03-07, 09:52

I plan on making a flight logging program for my R/C aircraft. This way I can track LiPo usage and power lengths over time, track crashes and repairs, notable moments, etc.
initialsBB

2008-03-07, 18:17

I want to make a utility for video editing : calculating bit rates, storage requirements, bandwidth requirements, formats, frame rates, etc etc... but I don't have an Intel Mac
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-07, 18:32

Same here. No Intel here...

I have zero programming experience/knowledge (so, realistically, I wouldn't be making anything). But I hope to see some neat guitar-oriented apps...tuners, chord/tuning references, etc.

Also, something simple (and that should already be present): voice notes, photo enhancing (take a picture with your iPhone camera, it looks like crap 64% of the time...would be neat to - directly on the iPhone - lighten, adjust color/saturation, sharpen, straighten, crop, etc. before e-mailing to someone).

That might be wishful thinking...
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-03-07, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
That might be wishful thinking...
Adobe Photoshop Touch™

You heard it here first...

I heard it from a friend of a friend who works for Apple Adobe. Honest!
k squared

2008-03-08, 13:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
Adobe Photoshop Touch™

You heard it here first...

I heard it from a friend of a friend who works for Apple Adobe. Honest!
Now that would be an amazing little app. June is going to be an exciting month. My only worry is that a new iPhone will have a more powerful processor and there will then be "iPhone v2" only applications.

Last edited by k squared : 2008-03-08 at 18:05. Reason: spelling
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2008-03-08, 14:03

A tip calculator.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-08, 14:22

I wish you would. You'll be one of dozens, just watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k squared View Post
June is going to be an existing month.

I hope so. I've still got so much I want to do in life.

macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2008-03-08, 14:52

I would love to see a more full featured calculator with business functions and mass, length, and volume conversion functions. I agree though, tip calculators will be coming very soon.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-03-08, 14:58

Moved this thread to General Discussion.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2008-03-08, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod View Post
I would love to see a more full featured calculator with business functions and mass, length, and volume conversion functions. I agree though, tip calculators will be coming very soon.
Yeah like the conversion widget in Leopard would be good. That would seem an easy thing to do for Apple.

I also am looking forward to Super Monkey Ball.

Or a programme to allow you to view PDFs or Word Docs
digitalprimate

2008-03-08, 16:14

A medical tricorder app seems cool. Oh no wait, that's too futuristic!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-08, 17:54

On these apps that don't rely on the Internet for their info (tip calculator, conversions, etc.), I guess those will start to eat into my 4GB iPhone quickly, huh? I've currently got 2GB free, but I wonder how large, file-size, some of these simpler, mid-level apps will be?

Or do I have to go and buy a 16GB (or 32GB?) iPhone this summer?

Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-03-08, 18:32

Quote:

Yes.

But you won't actually *do* that until the summer of 2009 or 2010.

I'm SO betting 2010.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-03-08, 18:33

Quote:
On these apps that don't rely on the Internet for their info (tip calculator, conversions, etc.), I guess those will start to eat into my 4GB iPhone quickly, huh? I've currently got 2GB free, but I wonder how large, file-size, some of these simpler, mid-level apps will be?

I doubt you'll eat up 2GB of space on apps. Remember, the whole iPhone software plus firmware only eats up something like 700MB of space (my 8GB iPhone had 7.3GB available out of the box). Simple apps like the ones you mentioned should come in far, far below that.

As an aside, an all-in-one conversion app will need internet access, since currency conversions are constantly changing.
apple007
BANNED

2008-03-08, 18:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
Yes.

But you won't actually *do* that until the summer of 2009 or 2010.

I'm SO betting 2010.
Come on, this is 'scates we're talking about. He's liable to buy a 16GB iPhone tomorrow.

(After his recent "what's my PB worth?" thread -- which came about 7 minutes after his "I installed Leopard and I'll be happy with my PB for another year" proclamation -- I'm surprised we haven't already had an "I bought an MBA" or "I bought an iMac" thread from him.)

As another aside, I'm wondering how 'scates has managed to have an iPhone for almost a year and put well less than 2GB of data on it. I thought my 8GB model would last me for at least a couple years, but the 16GB announcement made me very happy, and I'm hoping the HD space will get bumped even higher (which is the popular rumor) when the 3G models show up.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-08, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
I doubt you'll eat up 2GB of space on apps. Remember, the whole iPhone software plus firmware only eats up something like 700MB of space (my 8GB iPhone had 7.3GB available out of the box). Simple apps like the ones you mentioned should come in far, far below that.

As an aside, an all-in-one conversion app will need internet access, since currency conversions are constantly changing.
I wasn't thinking money (I don't travel abroad, really). I was thinking more like that Dashboard widget, with measurements, weights, distances, etc. When I'm cooking, it's nice to know how many quarts make whatever, without having to dash back to the other room for a look. Would be neat to have that right there on the phone. And since it's an in-house Apple app, I wish they'd do it already.

Stuff like that doesn't really change, so it wouldn't have to rely on 'net access, I suppose.

Quote:
Come on, this is 'scates we're talking about. He's liable to buy a 16GB iPhone tomorrow.

(After his recent "what's my PB worth?" thread -- which came about 7 minutes after his "I installed Leopard and I'll be happy with my PB for another year" proclamation -- I'm surprised we haven't already had an "I bought an MBA" or "I bought an iMac" thread from him.)
Yes, I did put Leopard on a while back (and I am happy with my PowerBook). And then, this past week or so, I saw those nice refurbs offerings available. This stuff is fluid. New info and situations can arise that change plans, or at least make someone consider some different ones. A Mac for $899 (with my $100 rebate) was something that caught my interest. I've never paid less than $1,199 for a Mac before, especially one as nice and full-featured as these available. They'd tempt anyone...

I was curious about what my stuff was worth in case I thought about doing something with this new info on those nice deals I saw. I didn't (or haven't), but I still wanted to know what an older machine like mine might bring these days.

Quote:
As another aside, I'm wondering how 'scates has managed to have an iPhone for almost a year and put well less than 2GB of data on it.
Not that it's all that exciting of a topic, but I just limit myself to ~1GB music (roughly 270 songs, give or take). And I picked a few of my favorite iPhoto albums (and not the whole library). Doing that leaves me with about 2GB free space at all times. Which might come in handy after June, if I see a couple of apps that catch my eye.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2008-03-08 at 20:05.
apple007
BANNED

2008-03-08, 20:00

Quote:
I wasn't thinking money (I don't travel abroad, really). I was thinking more like that Dashboard widget, ...
... which has a currency converter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Yes, I did put Leopard on a while back (and I am happy with my PowerBook). And then, this past week or so, I saw those nice refurbs offerings available. This stuff is fluid. New info and situations can arise that change plans, or make a person consider different ones.

I was curious, the other day, what my stuff was worth...in case I thought about doing something with this new info on these nice deals. I didn't (or haven't), but I still wanted to know what an older machine like mine might bring these days.
Hey, you don't owe me any explanations. I was just giving you a hard time. I'm in the same boat as you vis-a-vis a CPU upgrade; I believe you bought your current PB only a few months before I bought mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Not that it's all that exciting of a topic, but I just limit myself to ~1GB music (roughly 270 songs, give or take). And I picked a few of my favorite iPhoto albums (and not the whole library). Doing that leaves me with about 2GB free space at all times. Which might come in handy after June, if I see a couple of apps that catch my eye. Even without this software coming - I've done this from day one - I just didn't want to "fill my iPhone to the brim" with stuff. But now, with the details of Thursday's event coming out, I won't have to go "clean house" so much, come June. I've got a little space to work with already.
I figured I'd do something similar, but ended up with all songs rated 3 stars or higher, plus my entire iPhoto library, plus movie clips, etc. As a result, I believe I've used my iPod about three times since buying my iPhone last July. With the 16GB available now and an even bigger HD possibly available in the summer (32GB?), my iPod will become completely irrelevant except for back-ups, etc.