Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

SUID: Remote Management Issue?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
SUID: Remote Management Issue?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-07-01, 15:47

Repaired permissions today prior to a software install, finished with this. Remote Mgmt part makes me nervous. If someone hacked my cable connection could they use this file to mess with my system? Have no type of remote workflows, don't install Remote Access (unless that's installed by default with the system now?). I probably should file this under teh ghost thread also.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

...into the light of a dark black night.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2010-07-02, 00:37

ARDAgent.app is a standard part of the system. It's accepts inbound connections from Apple Remote Desktop (hence ARD). It will only be enabled if you have Remote Management enabled in System Preferences -> Sharing. (It will only run / appear in Activity Monitor when someone is connected.)

If anyone cares to recall, ARDAgent is the application that was the subject of a hotly contested debate a about a privilege escalation hole. One workaround was to remove the SetUID bit on the ARDAgent executable. However, once something loses the SetUID bit, the system will not automatically restore it if if thinks the file has been modified.

Depending on how that's tracked, it's likely that ARDAgent was changed in a software update, but the checksum the system expects from the original OS install. What version of Mac OS X are you running?

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-07-04, 22:50

Should note I do not allow any type of incoming connections AFA sharing / none of my sharing modules are active or have been active AFAIK. Also notice the last few days some random lags for maybe half a minute when browsing with Safari or using other apps. No crash or anything, it's just the system making me wait even though nothing majorly process intensive is going on.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-07-04, 23:11

Mac OS X: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions messages that you can safely ignore

ARDAgent is on the list.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-07-06, 08:04

Nice link. Thanks Von Bradster.