User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

iBook/PowerBook Carrying Case

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iBook/PowerBook Carrying Case
macgeek2004

2005-02-13, 03:09

What's the difference between a Carrying Case and a Skin, for a Laptop?

If I get a free Carrying Case with my laptop, but not a Skin, do I also need to buy a skin?

What's the deal here?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-13, 03:18

A "skin" for devices like this is usually some form-fitting thing that tightly wraps around it. I don't think they make these for notebook computers as they would be pretty pointless since you'd have to remove it any time you wanted to use the computer.

I think you're probably confusing something with the many iPod skins that are on the market.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-02-13, 03:19

Hmmm.. a skin. I haven't heard of any silicon skins for laptops, I think you are talking about a sleeve. In which case - no - unless you want to carry it in your backpack, which I like to do with all of my books. If you need links, I'll link you.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
macgeek2004

2005-02-13, 16:19

I meant a sleeve. sorry about that. What's the difference between a sleeve and a carrying case?
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-02-13, 17:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek2004
I meant a sleeve. sorry about that. What's the difference between a sleeve and a carrying case?
Generally speaking...

A sleeve is like a sock: form-fitting, cushy, just like a sleeping bag, doesn't usually have a handle.

A carry case is like luggage: it's usually got a handle, sometimes made with sturdier material (with a hard exterior shell).

Random series of links:

booqbags

PBZone bag recommendations

MacCase
macgeek2004

2005-02-13, 18:43

Does a Carry Case protect the laptop as well as a sleeve does?
¡Damned!

2005-02-13, 19:56

I really love this. Well done, booq.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-02-13, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
A "skin" for devices like this is usually some form-fitting thing that tightly wraps around it. I don't think they make these for notebook computers as they would be pretty pointless since you'd have to remove it any time you wanted to use the computer.
Tucano uses the word skin for its Second Skin neoprene products, which are sleeves by the definition presented in this thread. I wouldn't hesitate to use either word about a product that encases a laptop and is too compact and simple to be a "case".

macgeek2004, the protection afforded by a case is not simply good or bad.. there are different kinds. You can protect against
- dirt, liquids, etc.
- sharp objects, objects that hit the computer, weight concentrating on top
- dropping the computer (impact)
and these can all be there in a carry solution, or not. For dirt, liquids it is obvious you need some kind of "shell". Sharp objects, you need hard or semi-hard material covering the laptop. Impact, you need an impact resistant (usually "floating") structure in a laptop case or bag.

Sleeve can not protect against impact.
Bag can protect against everything.
The better bag designs usually have an integral, removable sleeve which takes care of dust and dirt, even against other objects in the pack, and then the bag has an impact resistant structure in which the sleeve is suspended. Either the sleeve has a hard shell, the pack has a hard shell, or there is just so much material around the laptop that you don't need separate force/sharp thing protection.
ironlung

2005-02-14, 00:03

i really like zeroshock sleeve available at www.shinza.com. Has anyone else over here used it? any impressions?