Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Upgrading Mac Mini RAM

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Upgrading Mac Mini RAM
MagSafe

2007-02-12, 09:07

Hi folks,

I've just ordered 2GB's of RAM for my faithful Mac Mini (1.66 Intel Core Duo), it's got 1GB inside it at the moment (2x 512mb) and i'm finding it a little slow ... with the release of Leopard, Photoshop and the new Office 2008 around the corner it seems like a good idea to give my system that bit more of a punch.

I've ordered two sticks of Crucial memory (£121) from going to their website and using their online memory guide, so it should hopefully be coming tomorrow or Wednesday

This will be the first time i'm opening up my Mini so i'm just seeing if anyone could recommend me the best guide/tutorial to follow whilst going through the process? I've built a few PC systems before so the internal parts don't really bother me, but it'll be good to have something to go on when i've opened it up. I've checked out iFixiIt.com's guide, which looks easy enough but i'm not sure if thats based on an older model or not.

Thanks for any recommendations, advice and/or help,

Steven

Find me on Twitter: @StevenMcLintock
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-02-12, 09:57

Their guide is based around the G4 mini. Taking the top off the case should be basically the same on the Intel models, but once you get inside, I'm not sure what the differences are. I had the G4 model for a while, and I didn't find it all that difficult to open the case. You just need a really thin putty knife and some patience.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
MagSafe

2007-02-14, 16:26

My RAM arrived this morning, so i had a go at the weary task of opening up my Mini earlier, and ... it was a success My good ol' Mac Mini is absolutely screaming now, CoverFlow is extremely smooth and everything just loads instantly, definetly worth it, without a doubt. Oh ... and instead of my iStat nano widget showing the memory being completey maxed out, it's only using half of it now , with plenty to spare

However ... Upon nervously (and carefully) prying open the case with my putty knife, this fell out of the case

I wasen't sure what it was at first, but it turns out its the IR Sensor for the remote. I'm not too fussed as i very, very rarely use it, but i'm still going to try and connect it back on sometime. If you look at the picture below, it goes on the very front of the internal parts (on the right)...

So, my question is ... do you think i'll be able to put it back on, half of one of the pins has snapped off (but the other half is still attached to the chip) and the other 3 are fine. Or ... will I be able to buy a new one from somewhere, possibly eBay? and if so, are they easy to install?

MagSafe

2007-02-15, 16:31

anyone?
GladToBeHere

2007-02-15, 16:41

? Try it.
MagSafe

2007-02-15, 17:39

Yeah ... Just did and theres no way its going back on, the pins won't reach the connects on the chip as there all bent and snapped, plus it needs to be soldered back on anyway ... something I don't want to risk doing as i'll probably end up shorting out the whole computer

Hmm, don't suppose anyone knows where I can get a replacement IR Sensor board then?

pkatzman
Formerly "djfusion"

Send a message via AIM to pkatzman Send a message via Yahoo to pkatzman Send a message via Skype™ to pkatzman 
2007-02-15, 23:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagSafe View Post
Yeah ... Just did and theres no way its going back on, the pins won't reach the connects on the chip as there all bent and snapped, plus it needs to be soldered back on anyway ... something I don't want to risk doing as i'll probably end up shorting out the whole computer

Hmm, don't suppose anyone knows where I can get a replacement IR Sensor board then?
I'd just try soldering it back on. It doesn't look like too difficult a job, and simple soldering is easy to pick up. Buy an iron and some solder at a local hardware store (ask them for specific recommendations, and I'd recommend lead-free solder if possible, not great to be breathing in those fumes).

Make sure to try and practice first, but it's rather easy. You shouldn't have much difficulty.

EDIT: Here's a decent looking tutorial, give it a read.