MC: Rail Transport

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Rail Transport
Page 8 of 10 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-05-09, 19:42

Well, I have been the dark green line from the start so I'm not going to change. Not to be a dick about it, but what other color is a turtle? Kinda like Grey needs a grey line.

That being said, mine doesn't have to be the only green. It was built as a private line for me anyway so you can not include it in the main rail layout if that's your choice. I'm ok with it either way.

To get green, I have the perfect source of cacti at my house in BP. If I get on later (I likely will) and harvesting from the cactus farm doesn't work for you I'll be happy to give you what you need.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-09, 19:44

I want the BLACK LINE.
Is there one of those yet?
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-09, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Well, I have been the dark green line from the start so I'm not going to change. Not to be a dick about it, but what other color is a turtle? Kinda like Grey needs a grey line.
I agree completely, per my edits. We had green as part of the "color wheel" design but I don't want the green line. You should have it. I just need to know where the turn is before I can outline it. I'm going to replace the green with blue, and move the green to your tunnel. Do you think you could leave me some white wool?

@drew there is no black line, it's yours.

Also, purple line proposal:

Two things:

Brad, I don't want to build a track over your house if you don't want it there. Should I lower it for that section?

bbsky, as requested the construction anything under the skyranch is up to you. But I think it should stop at the hostile trap. Doesn't really matter where it comes out.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2011-05-10 at 12:34.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-05-09, 20:04

Here's my crude version:

Basically it turns just beyond the drowning trap. All lines are straight too.

Also, I have added 125 wool to your inventory. I noticed you were offline at the time so I took the opportunity to my advantage.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-05-09, 20:05

I'm not a fan of the W4-P2 leg of the purple line. Would prefer to keep the skies and area around SodHaus clear.

Wouldn't it be better to connect L2 to P2 instead? Little longer travel time, but possibly cleaner design for the BTA over all.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-09, 20:09

@turtle Thanks! I'll recolor the lines tomorrow and add yours to the map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
I'm not a fan of the W4-P2 leg of the purple line. Would prefer to keep the skies and area around SodHaus clear.

Wouldn't it be better to connect L2 to P2 instead? Little longer travel time, but possibly cleaner design for the BTA over all.
Well I'm trying to connect the spawn and the mob grinder to the white line. I can bury W4-P2 easily, there's already part of a tunnel down there.

Or there could be a separate line from the grinder to the white line.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-09, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post

Seconded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
I can bury W4-P2 easily, there's already part of a tunnel down there.

Or there could be a separate line from the grinder to the white line.
There are several tunnels down there including a large chamber underwater that I've been occasionally working on, and I'd prefer it not turn into a subway tunnel. Might be best to just skip that connection.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-09, 20:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Also, I have added 125 wool to your inventory. I noticed you were offline at the time so I took the opportunity to my advantage.
Be careful using the inventory editor on other players. I didn't add any explicit support for the changes (some not insignificant) to the player file format that were made in recent betas. Things like custom spawn points, sleep timers, achievements, etc. They may work just fine, but I haven't tested for them and the app has the potential (albeit slim) to do bad things with those new attributes. The most likely "bad" scenario is that those attributes may get clobbered.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-05-09, 21:27

Sure thing.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-09, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Might be best to just skip that connection.
Okay. I'll link the top half to L2. No problems with Apple Store -> Mob Grinder, right? It's all along existing track anyways, and it'll bring the network to the spawn point.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-05-09, 22:05

I'm beginning to think rails are too much for my lowly WiMax to handle. Chunks with rails on them seem to take a lot longer to load, and I often find myself waiting at the edge of a void or worse, in this jittery frozen state that gives me headaches. That all happened every once in a while before we started laying down track, but it seems to happen much more often now, and areas far away from track seem to generally be much less affected.

Actually riding the rails is, of course, right out.

I spent pretty much the entire weekend trapped on the skyway somewhere near Bridgeport, because every time I tried playing the world wouldn't load fast enough for me to get anywhere. It's possible I've just been getting bad reception from Clear lately, but the timing of it all makes me a little concerned.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-09, 22:07

So, a new gotcha with all these rails. Apparently they are crushing Robo's performance, making him a sad panda whenever he has to wade through Bridgeport. We tested by going out to a remote area and laying down a ton of tracks (with boosters). Sure enough, it was fine for him before, and crushingly bad afterwards.

Not sure what to do about this, but I wanted to caution further mass track laying that it may be contributing to slowness. That may also be why bobsky and Bryson and I (and others?) have noticed FPS drops in central BP. Between the skyway tracks, junctions, T's tracks, and my rollercoaster, we could be pushing up towards a breaking point for tracks.

If I have to mothball the rollercoaster, I will. I'm hoping other concessions can be made too, like making the main railways two-way instead of one-way; that would halve the number immediately.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-09, 22:07

Dangit! Beaten by two minutes.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-05-09, 22:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Not sure what to do about this
I'm going to talk to Clear and see if they can offer me a plan with better performance. I'm kind of broke but I really like playing Minecraft with you all, it's almost like having friends become a creative outlet for me. The only thing that worries me is that right now I'm on a discontinued, less expensive plan, and if I move to a new plan there's no guarantee I'll actually get better performance but I would be guaranteed to never be able to get my cheap plan back. But still I think it might be worth a shot, if it comes down to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
If I have to mothball the rollercoaster, I will. I'm hoping other concessions can be made too, like making the main railways two-way instead of one-way; that would halve the number immediately.
Nonono! Don't mothball the rollercoaster, it's an awesomely disorienting experience, especially with tons of lag. I don't want to get in the way of everybody's rail projects.

I don't want to call anything conclusively yet; we ran only one test and my connection could have just slowed because all of Clear's customers were firing up Netflix for the evening while Brad was laying the test track. But still. Correlation doesn't equal causation...but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing "Look over there." /xkcd
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-09, 22:41

Is it just the presence of the rails that causes you lag, or does someone have to be using them?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-09, 22:44

No one was riding when he was in BP earlier or around the remote test track when Robo reported the performance issues. I mixed occasional boosters and redstone torches at the test track to make it better reflect what's in BP, and the track had roughly 200 pieces.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-09, 22:45

Oh geez, so it's not even the boosters, it's the tracks themselves? Meaning to fix it I can't just remove the boosters, I have to pull up all the tracks?

God damnit notch.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-09, 22:51

Well, let's not be too hasty. I was just cautioning against further construction for a bit to see if we can isolate the cause. If nothing else pans out, then let's try removing some rails.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-05-09, 23:48

Also, before we do much more with proposing/building lines, why don't we figure out where planned structures will be, too? Grey and I both have projects down south in the future, and I also need to find a spot for my other secret project. I know Robo has his project and others their own, too. I think we can make better use of space by planning *everything* ahead of time.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-05-10, 00:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Also, before we do much more with proposing/building lines, why don't we figure out where planned structures will be, too? Grey and I both have projects down south in the future, and I also need to find a spot for my other secret project. I know Robo has his project and others their own, too. I think we can make better use of space by planning *everything* ahead of time.
I agree with this 100%. I think my current project might work best with dedicated rails (they will be on the ground, and I may be using detector rails for special effects) but it definitely makes sense to have a plan for future skyway/rail extensions. (I don't want skyways too close to my new project, for example.)
¡Damned!

2011-05-10, 01:05

That western leg of the lime green line that gets all janky? Not happening. I'm losing my hard-on for these fucking things, because they've already eye-sored my place up quite enough, thanks.
¡Damned!

2011-05-10, 01:17

Heh. Now that I've read the rest of the thread, it may not be an issue.

Either way though, I'm putting a kibosh on any plans that include or impact any of my project areas unless previously discussed and approved by yours truly. Ta.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-10, 01:32

Brad, I see that you've been busy down by Robo's old cabin.... took a ride in your mini-coaster test and got dumped in the ocean!!! Underground rail lines aren't a bad idea. I went out to Turtle's on his underground line and the scenery was boring, but it was convenient.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-10, 01:56

If the lime line happens, there's no reason it couldn't go straight across. I just thought it made sense to use the existing station.

Also, I thought the rails around Flaming Mountain looked really cool In addition to being transportation, they make it easier to tour everybody's stuff. I don't go out there much.

But I'm holding off on the purple line indefinitely. I think the lines we have right now are enough until the performance is improved.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-05-10, 02:23

So what would you propose we do, 709? Not wanting to step on toes, but I'd like a bit more convenient line towards my place without making everything ugly, too. Any way we can come to an agreement?

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-05-10, 09:21

I will be adding a one off underground line to the hostile trap from spawn/bp -- I will need permission from folks to build an entrance to the station when the time comes. I would prefer if this line not connect to any others, which probably won't be a problem since other than turtle no one else is going underground. I do not want ANY lines on the skywalks near the Ranch, so most (all) of the Purple line is not wanted or needed. This is particularly the case since it will interfere with previously existing structures like the former stair tower at Spawn, the Water Dong, the entrance to the ranch, as well as Grey's elegant skywalks, which will get fouled up by the expansion.

Also: I don't know where P5 was supposed to be, but just to be sure: No one is to build anything on the ranch without ME asking them to do so.

My only suggestion is putting a line that terminates over the center of the passive trap, where people can get out and walk down the stairs to the trap surface.

On a more general note: I do think the sky centered minecart system, while certainly minimal, is still somewhat of an eyesore. I like turtle's small underground station entrance in Bridgeport. It is a simple walk down and you start your journey, which has exactly two conveniently placed stops (for him). It might be a boring ride, but honestly, if you were out for the views you would walk everywhere. While it may not be possible to completely avoid mines and caves with an underground system, if the number of lines added are minimized, the deleterious effect would also be minimal. It isn't as if the entire mine is compromised. Structures present a different level of hassle, but are easily avoided by building around them underground.

I see only a few lines that are really needed. Moving people to distant points, or population centers. It isn't as if a station is necessary to get out of a minecart, you can jump out while moving.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2011-05-10 at 09:52.
¡Damned!

2011-05-10, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
So what would you propose we do, 709? Not wanting to step on toes, but I'd like a bit more convenient line towards my place without making everything ugly, too. Any way we can come to an agreement?
A line from L1 to W2 would accomplish the same thing, and make things more convenient for you coming from the passive trap or any point south.
¡Damned!

2011-05-10, 09:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
If the lime line happens, there's no reason it couldn't go straight across. I just thought it made sense to use the existing station.

Also, I thought the rails around Flaming Mountain looked really cool In addition to being transportation, they make it easier to tour everybody's stuff. I don't go out there much.
The upper skyway kind of ends in my living room, so the best way would probably be to follow the diagonal north to the mid-way station I mentioned earlier. Before doing anything I need to look at how to best incorporate it though.

I suppose I'll get used to the cobble lines around FM... at least they fit in OK with the rest. I kind of hate every addition I do to FM at the beginning, but they've all grown on me to where I like them now.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2011-05-10, 09:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
I'm building the west line out from the island where the skyways meet, between Temple and Flaming Mountain Stations.
What about making this a single line for now? Might make more sense now that we suspect rails impact performance (and really, what are the chances 2 whole people are going to be using that line at the same time? ). Also, the water tracks are kind of fugly. I think we're going to have to move the exit lines north of the station there. Although, maybe with only one track it might look a little better.

So it goes.
arteggio

2011-05-10, 10:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
What about making this a single line for now? Might make more sense now that we suspect rails impact performance (and really, what are the chances 2 whole people are going to be using that line at the same time? ). Also, the water tracks are kind of fugly. I think we're going to have to move the exit lines north of the station there. Although, maybe with only one track it might look a little better.
Single's fine. Pretty much only the to-west side has been built anyway.

I was wondering if you might have disdain for the water tracks, especially after your comment of tracks eye-soring your place. I'll remove the second line from the water, or just move the single line out the north end of the island if you want. Let me know.