Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!
Page 9 of 25 First Previous 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13  Next Last Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-07-06, 23:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
right, but the two worlds wont exactly play nice together, right? as in giant cliffs everywhere?
Correctamundo.
¡Damned!

2012-07-06, 23:26

Seriously?

I thought this was another "trim the bullshit" fix, If no, I am
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-07-07, 00:04

Well, the 1.3 update is when cliffs will apear start to appear on the fringes. This is because the 1.3 terrain algorithm changes to have "giant" biomes.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-07-07, 00:39

However, the emeralds supposedly are going to appear only in the giant biomes, so if they start appearing in new chunks just randomly and quickly, it won't take us long to find them. Both a blessing and a curse, I'm afraid.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
¡Damned!

2012-07-07, 08:07

I thought that the "giant" biomes were just an option, not mandatory. Goddamn it notch.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-07-07, 09:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
However, the emeralds supposedly are going to appear only in the giant biomes, so if they start appearing in new chunks just randomly and quickly, it won't take us long to find them. Both a blessing and a curse, I'm afraid.
Unless I missed a change, emeralds also only appear in one of the many biome types, and that's because you're generally supposed to trade with villagers for them, not mine them.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2012-07-07, 12:52

Yes, the Giant Hills biome, if I'm not mistaken, is the only one in which they appear. So trading with villagers is the best way to get them. The trades with villagers can be infinite, though, so it isn't that difficult if you find a decent one (like wheat for emeralds).

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-07-07, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I thought that the "giant" biomes were just an option, not mandatory. Goddamn it notch.
they are optional
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2012-07-07, 13:33

If they're optional, I'd be fine with having them off and just trading with Testiclefuckits for legit emeralds. Then again, if we're all-creative-all-the-time, that likely doesn't matter.

billybobsky
BANNED

2012-07-07, 13:58

We should consider making outposts with the different world types.

Seriously.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-07-07, 15:25

You mean World Warp like? Only with all new worlds? That seems like an interesting idea.
billybobsky
BANNED

2012-07-07, 15:53

Yes and exactly... Perhaps flat land can be creative all the time. The rest only on weekends or something like that (if possible).
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-07-07, 18:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Yes and exactly... Perhaps flat land can be creative all the time. The rest only on weekends or something like that (if possible).
This sounds like a good idea.

We'll need the SSD back in working order before we do this, though, because I suspect regularly reading and writing multiple worlds would be too much added strain on the regular HDD.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2012-07-07, 22:29

I like that idea.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-07-08, 11:17

So I have completed the pruning. Let me know if something is missing that shouldn't be. Ely, I know your island to the west you had marked with torches got nuked, but I'll give you some torches to make it up or something.

I hope to get the maps running again now with the smaller world. Also, in the mean time you can look at the overview map for idea of what's out there:
http://mc.applenova.com/overview/

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2012-07-11, 09:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
So I have completed the pruning. Let me know if something is missing that shouldn't be. Ely, I know your island to the west you had marked with torches got nuked, but I'll give you some torches to make it up or something.

I hope to get the maps running again now with the smaller world. Also, in the mean time you can look at the overview map for idea of what's out there:
http://mc.applenova.com/overview/
I think you only nuked half of it after looking at the map. We may have to nuke the entire thing after 1.3 due to the terrain generation incompatability between the two halves. No big deal really, would be a shame to lose the currently configuration, but at the same time it would generate emeralds if pruned entirely. I'll have to think on this one.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-08-05, 22:13

So I have taken down the automated process for now while I work through getting the Cactuar Archive map done. I'll let y'all know when it's done. I hope to have it done tonight and automated again after this. So maybe the 3AM run will be the new world. Or maybe not.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
billybobsky
BANNED

2012-08-06, 03:07

Wait. Cactaur is shelved?

ah well.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-08-06, 08:53

No, but I'm only going to do one map at a time.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-08-06, 22:08

So for those interested a new one to the archive list:
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-08-18, 11:09

So I think I've figured out what's going on but haven't been able to delve much into it. The maps look pretty messed up right now. Why? Well it looks like the maps are writing over the last world with this one.

But, when I log into the server the data files are perfect. It looks like the issue is with how the init.d/minecraft handles the backups. When I download the back file created it's messy and contains people who haven't logged into this server. When I log into Lenny and look at the world files directly it is right.

So....

I'm deleting the map from my server now and about to run a clean map based on a fresh download. Once that's complete we'll see the world as it should be. This means complete restart of the mapping process since it doesn't handle shrinking maps well.

Brad, if you have the time to review the code in the init.d that would be great. I don't know when I'm going to get to it but I'm sure it must be the issue. Like it's appending the tar rather than creating.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-08-18, 12:49

Aha!

The backup command on the init script starts by rsyncing the live world to a second staging directory before tgzing that second directory. The second directory still had files from the old world in it. The fix? Easy. I changed the rsync arguments to delete files from the target that don't exist in the source. Here's the diff:

Code:
@@ -243,7 +243,7 @@ mc_updatedo() { mc_backupmap() { echo " * Backing up $SERVERNAME map named \"$WORLDNAME\"..." echo " * Syncing "$MCPATH"/"$WORLDNAME" to "$BACKUPPATH"/"$WORLDNAME"" - as_user "cd $MCPATH && rsync -cghLoprtu "$WORLDNAME" "$BACKUPPATH"" + as_user "cd $MCPATH && rsync -cghLoprtu --delete "$WORLDNAME" "$BACKUPPATH"" sleep 10 echo " * Creating compressed backup..." NOW="`date "+%Y%m%d.%H%M%S"`"
The backups are now a fair bit smaller now, too. Before was 121 MB and now is 45 MB.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-08-18, 13:19

Nice find. Thanks Brad. Making the copy allows the server to be down less time during the process. I like it, more so now that we will have cleaner maps.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-08-18, 15:37

Also, I forked the init script project on github so you guys can see the changes I am making. I'm keeping the "master" branch clean and putting Lenny-specific changes in a branch called "lenny".

https://github.com/infinitewarp/mine...ipt/tree/lenny

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-08-18, 19:25

Maps are back up and automated again and now with only this world.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-08-21, 17:46

So, I think the map needs a little tweak so that it can show rotated logs. (Take a look at my log cabin by spawn...)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-08-21, 17:50

Yeah, the map gen app hasn't updated yet so it doesn't show any new blocks with 1.3. I'm watching for it and will update once it drops.

¡Damned!

2012-08-23, 12:07

I love that every time the map updated in the last few days it snapped Elysium hiding atop safety towers in the dark somewhere.

So it goes.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2012-08-23, 15:57

Quote:
I love that every time the map updated in the last few days it snapped Elysium hiding atop safety towers in the dark somewhere.

Yeah, I've been doing some exploring. I really like the terrain in that SE continent with the taiga and desert in close proximity (bonus Desert Temple). There is a really cool overhang in the extreme hills area there that I may just have to claim for the new sekrit base.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-08-23, 16:37

Quote:

OMGROTFL!!!