User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Help, not sure if I should trust this web site.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help, not sure if I should trust this web site.
Meltedbutter421

Send a message via AIM to Meltedbutter421  
2006-07-15, 22:22

Hey,
I was looking around for some shirts and i stubled across LaBellaFashionOutlet. Ive never really heard of this place before so i dont know what to think. They have Lacoste shirts for $30 when theyre usually 70. Im just not sure if its a scam or not. Have any of you ever bought anything from there (i figure no, but its worth asking).
Oh and i remember looking at a post and one of you guys lookked up how old the URL was or whatever for this really young websight and figured out it was a scam. So maybe you could try that on this websight?

Thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-07-15, 22:29

For what it's worth:

Quote:
The data contained in GoDaddy.com, Inc.'s WhoIs database,
while believed by the company to be reliable, is provided "as is"
with no guarantee or warranties regarding its accuracy. This
information is provided for the sole purpose of assisting you
in obtaining information about domain name registration records.
Any use of this data for any other purpose is expressly forbidden without the prior written
permission of GoDaddy.com, Inc. By submitting an inquiry,
you agree to these terms of usage and limitations of warranty. In particular,
you agree not to use this data to allow, enable, or otherwise make possible,
dissemination or collection of this data, in part or in its entirety, for any
purpose, such as the transmission of unsolicited advertising and
and solicitations of any kind, including spam. You further agree
not to use this data to enable high volume, automated or robotic electronic
processes designed to collect or compile this data for any purpose,
including mining this data for your own personal or commercial purposes.

Please note: the registrant of the domain name is specified
in the "registrant" field. In most cases, GoDaddy.com, Inc.
is not the registrant of domain names listed in this database.

Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: LABELLEFASHIONOUTLET.COM
Created on: 08-Feb-06
Expires on: 08-Feb-07
Last Updated on: 24-Jun-06

Administrative Contact:
Private, Registration LABELLEFASHIONOUTLET.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599

Technical Contact:
Private, Registration LABELLEFASHIONOUTLET.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.DOMAINCITYSERVERS.COM
NS2.DOMAINCITYSERVERS.COM

The previous information has been obtained either directly from the registrant or a registrar of the domain name other than Network Solutions. Network Solutions, therefore, does not guarantee its accuracy or completeness.

Show underlying registry data for this record

Current Registrar: GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC.
IP Address: 69.90.45.40 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)
IP Location: CA(CANADA)-BRITISH COLUMBIA-VANCOUVER
Record Type: Domain Name
Server Type: IIS 6
Lock Status: REGISTRAR-LOCK
Web Site Status: Parked
DMOZ no listings
Y! Directory: see listings
Web Site Title: Name brand denim jeans 30 To 60 % off
Meta Description: buy at factory outlet prices on all name brand jeans and nike air jordan
Meta Keywords: 7 for alll mankind,air force one,lacoste,polo shirt,nike,antik denim,true religion,juicy culture,diesel,rock repuplic,
Secure: No
E-commerce: No
Traffic Ranking: Not available
Data as of: 14-Jun-2005
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-07-16, 03:17

I can't help you as Brad just did ... and I actually had a message typed out before his was posted, but when the server went down I lost it.

Anyway, what I wanted to say was $30 for a Lacoste polo shirt is still too expensive.

You need to get intlplby onto the case. I can't remember if he lives in Beijing, but at the Hong Qiao and Silk Street Markets, polo shirts (RL - where the name came from, Lacoste, Tommy Hilfiger, etc.) are all about 40RMB ... which is about US$5. Get him onto it - and maybe buy one of his retro style boom boxes as well.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-07-16, 08:26

One more thing - I dare say this is where the folks at the website you're asking about sourced their goods too.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2006-07-16, 10:41

Its probably fake shirts. Classic Lacoste polo shirts cost the same wherever you are in the world. Even if a Lacoste store has sale the classic polos are NEVER on sale. Unless these shirts are used then there is no way these are original Lacoste classic polo shirts.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-07-16, 11:03

I'm fully aware of the illegitimate nature of the products ... not entirely sure I'd call them fake though.

If they're manufactured in China, chances are the manufacturers intentionally did an over-run and are selling the excess stock on the sly. If this is the case, they could meet the quality standards set by the parent company.

Of course, there could also be fake items, or rip-offs, but if you're only prepared to pay US$5 for each one, you don't have much right to be indignant about it.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-16, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltedbutter421
Hey,
I was looking around for some shirts and i stumbled across LaBellaFashionOutlet. Ive never really heard of this place before so i dont know what to think. They have Lacoste shirts for $30 when theyre usually 70. Im just not sure if its a scam or not. Have any of you ever bought anything from there (i figure no, but its worth asking).
If you click "About Us" in their list on the left-hand side, you'll find this statement:

Quote:
All of our products are 100% brand new. We import them directly from Italy,France, and other European countries As well as the USA at lower than retail prices. We guarantee and stand behind all of our merchandise!

We are able to offer low discount prices due to our low overhead, great contacts and our commitment to our customers to offer reasonable discount pricing. We really do go out of our way to make sure that every transaction is positive. . THANK YOU
I personally think it sounds legitimate. I'm a bit unclear if it's *entirely* an online enterprise, but after reading their statement twice, I think it is. If so, that would be one explanation for their low prices.

Plus... it IS an *outlet*, which means that they probably carry brand-name overstocks or clearance items - another reason for low prices.

They appear to be registered with the Better Business Bureau, so perhaps you could check out their record through BBB if you wanted more assurance.
Meltedbutter421

2006-07-16, 12:22

Thank you everyone! I decided to order 2 shirts (brown and orange) just to see if its good quality and if i like the shirts. If i decide i like them, ill probably go back and order a black and white one too. Hopefully they are real, or at least real shirts with a MINOR flaw which caused them to throw them out pretty much. If any of you are curious about the quality of them and are interested in buying, ill post about the shirts and how long it took me to get them and if id buy from them again. (fingers crossed theyre good)

thank you again!
BenP

2006-07-16, 12:26

Maybe they're "irregular"? I know stores sometimes sell clothes with minor defects or something at reduced prices.

On another note, is retail price for that shirt actually $72? That's insane.

Edit: Guess you thought of that, Meltedbutter.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-07-16, 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenP
On another note, is retail price for that shirt actually $72? That's insane.
Yeah. $10 for a decent shirt. $62 for the little gator emblem?

I'll never understand fashion.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-07-16, 15:09

I think the Chinese understand fashion.

Or how to circumvent obscene mark-ups at least. (not that I'm condoning it)
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-16, 21:22

Hmm.

I've been looking at their site more closely, and there are a few things that bother me:

~ Wrt those men's Lacoste shirts, I didn't like it that the picture showed more shirt colors than they listed in their drop-down color menu. For example, they mentioned navy blue, and I didn't see a navy shirt in the pic. They said 'cream' was sold out, but there were several other colors in the pic that they didn't bother to mention as 'sold out' in the color menu. Sloppy.

~ I felt uncomfortable that the box where you choose the color is labeled "Size". That shows sloppy site set-up.

~ And finally, I looked at these women's jeans:

http://www.labellefashionoutlet.com/...15/3182005.htm

... and found this:

Quote:
*Stretch denim - 95% cotton & 5% polyurethane; machine wash.
Um... *polyurethane* ???

Maybe their typist is an idiot, who knows. How could someone on a clothes site type 'polyurethane' when they undoubtedly mean 'polyester'. Tsk.

Anyway, I'm mentioning these things because as an online shopper, I feel uneasy when I discover such slapdash inconsistencies. No respected, established company would have any of the things I mentioned on their site.

BUT... perhaps this is a young company started by a bunch of 20-somethings, and maybe they aren't all that careful about putting together a pristine site. *shrug*

Anyway, I thought I'd mention these things. Sorry I didn't notice them before you made your order.

I hope everything turns out okay for you, Meltedbutter.

I spend *lots* of money shopping online, and I'm really picky about the sites I visit, mainly because if I'm giving my credit card number out, I 'have' to feel the site is 100% reliable, trustworthy, etc.

I think you'll be okay. I surely hope so.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-16, 21:24

Moving this thread to AppleOutsider.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-07-16, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
Um... *polyurethane* ???

Maybe their typist is an idiot, who knows. How could someone on a clothes site type 'polyurethane' when they undoubtedly mean 'polyester'. Tsk.
Yeah, there's quite a number of spelling mistakes on the site, none quite as egregious as that though. Man I hoped I spelled egregious correctly (on Firefox/Win right now).

There was also one page that mentioned the price being for a one day only July 4th sale, which clearly expired.

It seems suspicious to me, but good luck.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-17, 08:35

I can't speak on fashion, Chinese manufacturing, etc. with any authority.

But I do carry this little nugget of wisdom around with me every single day, and it has served me very well over the years (and can apply to all sorts of situations):

If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

I know...deep stuff, huh?

I frequently use it in tandem with another little gem:

Nothing is free (substitute "ridiculously cheap" - to the point of setting off red flags - in place of "free" in certain situations)

Adhere to those two statements and you'll be amazed at what kind of trouble and grief you'll avoid in life. Don't be suckers, people. Don't give the con artists, scammers, bullshitters, weasels, flim-flammers, etc. of the world (and they're out there, in droves!) the pleasure of your gullibility. Why make it easy for them?

Unicorns, the tooth fairy, hot girls home alone waiting for you to call them and free iPods...none of this stuff exists. Only in the minds of six-year-olds and the Internet.

And I agree with others above: even at $30, I don't consider that such a sweet deal. $10. $15, tops (and it better have some gold in the threads or a built-in GPS doo-dad or nightvision).

Meltedbutter421

2006-07-17, 09:16

True, true. EXCEPT once i got 2 DDR pads on ebay for $.01 hah

I think thats a pretty good deal eh?

Well the shirts are ordered now and i dont think im gonna cancle them soooo how bout we turn this thread around: Whats the greatest deal youve ever had?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-17, 09:31

I got three polo shirts for $3.75. The alligator was upside down (and had a patch on his eye), but other than that...
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-17, 13:34

But Paul, here's a 50-70%-off sale on sandals at amazon.

Name brands and everything.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_...5%20off&page=1

However, their "just arrived" Lacoste polo shirts are $72. eek!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=1036592
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-07-17, 18:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
But I do carry this little nugget of wisdom around with me every single day, and it has served me very well over the years (and can apply to all sorts of situations):

If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

I know...deep stuff, huh?

I frequently use it in tandem with another little gem:

Nothing is free (substitute "ridiculously cheap" - to the point of setting off red flags - in place of "free" in certain situations)
Dude... you should put that in a book and sell it!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-17, 18:55

Hey, it's sad how many so-called savvy, otherwise worldly types are just complete knuckleheads on this stuff.

They NEED a book like that!

Two pages: If it's too good to be true... and nothing is free.

$14.95, plus shipping.

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-07-17, 19:25

It would be much more fun to make the book FREE, and shipping and handling is only $19.99
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-17, 19:39

That'll work too. The beauty of it is that the people most in need of the book will fall for it and pay, no questions asked.

You create your opportunities, people.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-07-17, 22:49

FFL, you hang out on eBay too much.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-07-17, 23:17

If you have to ask if it's legit.....
Meltedbutter421

2006-07-24, 21:12

Alright a little update here:
Its been 1 week since i placed my order and i just got a tracking order today. Its in Brooklyn so i SHOULD be getting them tomorrow. Hmm i just hope theyre real.
The other day i went to my friend's store and she sold me a lacoste shirt for $46 (and also gave me one for free... she owed me a birthday gift), so i suppose they could be real for $30.
I'll let you know tomorrow.
pilot1129

Send a message via AIM to pilot1129  
2006-07-25, 08:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
It would be much more fun to make the book FREE, and shipping and handling is only $19.99
ugh, i just got suckered in by that.

I bought a 18 inch wrench for 1 cent. the auction ended and the guy charged 29.95 for shipping!

bastard isnt getting my money.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-07-25, 08:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot1129
ugh, i just got suckered in by that.

I bought a 18 inch wrench for 1 cent. the auction ended and the guy charged 29.95 for shipping!

bastard isnt getting my money.
Sellers aren't trying to "sucker" people when they do that, generally. eBay doesn't take commission out of your shipping charges, so they mark those up to make a better profit and eBay gets less. They're sticking it to the man, not to you. (Usually.)

That said, if the seller didn't disclose the shipping charges, you need to report that.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Meltedbutter421

2006-07-25, 15:08

Alright
I just got the shirts and i can tell that they are knockoffs for a couple reasons.
1) the cardboard insert in the shirt is thicker than the one in the knockoff (the one in the knockoff was like paper)
2) on the tag, the aligators looked different
3) on the tag, the fake one said made in peru in english and spanish (on the real one it only has english)
4) the aligator in the knockoff was a lighter shade of green (not noticeable) and has different markings (less detail than the real one)
5) the buttons did not look like real mother of pearl
6) the sizing was a little bit off

all in all, the shirts are still pretty nice, and you really cant tell theyre fake unless you were looking really close. one thing that got me mad was that they sent me the wrong size on one of the shirts . I guess im gonna send it back to exchange it.

finally, i probably wouldnt buy from them again just because of how long it took for them to ship and i could just get real shirts for $15 more. but, if youre looking for the lacoste look and dont care, i would buy from this websight.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-07-25, 15:11

Except, of course, that buying pirated products supports piracy....

Personally, I would never spend that kind of money on a shirt because it has a logo on, but if you want to, you should probably buy a real one.