Please Don't Trust Us, Inc®

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Please Don't Trust Us, Inc®
Page 1 of 8 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-09-04, 15:23

This thread's purpose is simple:

Post data breaches, [prove-ably false] phony promises, and other such "Please Don't Trust Us, Inc.®" data breaches, fake news (tech-related, please—no politics), unwarranted data collection, etc.

Also, I am sticking this thread because these data breaches affect many of Applenova's members and you should all keep up on where your data/information is being abused.

FaceBook just had a server breach that exposed user names and telephone numbers affecting roughly 200 million U.S., Vietnam, and U.K. users. I have never given FaceBook my telephone number (this is why), but I can in no way prove that they have not been able to collect it from someone else.

Anyway, these big tech companies and their data breaches demonstrate that "customer security and privacy" are just buzzwords that mean nothing in reality.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-02-08 at 15:13. Reason: updating
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-10-12, 11:59

The more Apple bows down to China, the more I think that they aren't selling privacy as a "core, fundamental value", but as a core, fundamental profit opportunity.

My mind is being changed on the "Apple cares about your rights" avenue, and I am doubting whether or not my data can be trusted with them.

I am guessing that China has far more say in Apple's future "privacy" plans than the United States government does. The backdoors into your iPhone will likely come out of Chinese laws, rather than American. And once those back doors exists, they'll be used everywhere. Apple will then say something like, "well, but police are being located by illegal software, so we really have no choice but to comply. I mean, freedom for the 'people' and all."

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2019-10-12, 13:28

What Apple should do is have a fork for sales in China, so it is not a world wide issue. Doubt they’ll do it.

Reality is that Apple, like all other big companies, cares more about shareholders wallets than customers privacy. This move should surprise no one.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-10-12, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
This move should surprise no one.
After the whole police-tracking-app-pulling-thing, I'm not surprised at all. Apple is doing what the communists command, not what's in the best interests of "human rights".

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-10-12, 17:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
The more Apple bows down to China, the more I think that they aren't selling privacy as a "core, fundamental value", but as a core, fundamental profit opportunity.
Did you just derail your own sticky thread in its first reply?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-10-13, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Did you just derail your own sticky thread in its first reply?
No. The thread is intended for the “trust us but don’t trust us” actions of tech corporations.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-30, 14:38

I'm telling you, these IOT smart devices are going to be trouble down the road.

Unrelated, I just had a visit from a friend who wanted to show off his in-home cameras. He said he was "going to check on his wife." I made the comment, "Boy, I hope we don't catch her in her underwear. That would be embarrassing."

Fortunately, she wasn't compromised. However, what if she wasn't expecting her husband to be checking on her with a friend sitting right there?

I say that knowing that he is one of my closest friends and I would never want to embarrass he or his wife. However, I am not the internet. There are bad people out there who could gain access to these systems and have themselves a little peaky-poo. And what if the wife is walking around in her undies? Dude snaps a quick screenshot and shares it to his HotHouswivesGoneWild.org website, and then the damage is permanent. Her image is forever floating around the interwebs and she has no control over it, or the rumors that spread because of it.

And that's only the beginning. Sneeky-poo will also know whether or not the hubby is home, and how to remotely open the front door to let himself in for a bit more than just a screenshot.

I'm just not willing to put my family's safety into the hands of these jackass companies and their incessant security issues.

No and way!

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-12-30 at 15:06.
¡Damned!

2019-12-30, 15:55

Just recently there was a story about a baby monitor being exploited, which is all sorts of creepy.

Most of my friends have some sort of video gadget installed at their home – from those picture-frame-looking surveillance cameras to the doorbell cameras – but I'm yet to take the jump into that arena. Maybe it's because we're a little more tech savvy than the average person that we've resisted. I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't mind rubbing one out for a consenting audience, but the idea of anyone being able to spy into my home through a simple WiFi hack is totally unnerving. Shit, I still put a Sharpied sticky-note square over my computer camera.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2019-12-30 at 16:06.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-30, 16:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Shit, I still put a Sharpied sticky-note square over my computer camera.

I still haven't seen that exploited on a Mac in the wild, outside of giving permission for the web browser or Flash to use your camera.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-30, 23:03

Anyone use Google or Alex voice assistants? What about Siri and allow command on an unlocked device? They are being controlled with lasers. There was an article about this "exploit" a month or so ago but this video does a great job showing the work in action with one of the paper's authors!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2019-12-31, 02:07

First thing I do on any new device is shut off Siri, and voice controls. Problem solved.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-31, 14:08

Watching the video and the whole time I'm thinking, "You have got to be kidding me!"

No!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-31, 14:13

Yeah. We want so bad to believe it will be ok, but lasers activating the mic and you don't even hear or see it happening. I mean, sure if you're in the room and your google device says it is unlocking the garage door you might get up and see what's going on, but it is a little late at that point isn't it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-31, 15:00

The laser thing is crazy, but that's not what concerns me. What concerns me is the data breech we all know is coming. The hacked server that gives someone all the codes and no one knows the server was ever even hacked. Suddenly, the baddies are at your front door with their own phones and a hack-app thing and *poof* they're into your house and your kids are never the same, if they survive.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2019-12-31, 17:18

Right now this isn't a big problem, look at the size of that laser emitter, it's kind of obvious something fishy is going on. Having not seen the original writing I don't know the details, but I'm guessing it will take more than a pocket size laser pointer, at least for now. Still wouldn't want that smart junk in my home to start with, but I'm sure I time will come when we have no choice, and nothing lasts forever. I'm with kscherer on this for sure.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-31, 19:44

Clearly it isn't a big problem now, but the fact that it can be done and easily within the back of a van. Heck, that laser or one like it could be mounted like a spotlight on top of a vehicle. Having the laser use IR instead of a visible light means the homeowner doesn't even know it's happening. Add an optical camera to the side and you can even aim it while hidden in the back of the van.

That is certainly something I could see Marv and Harry doing in a swanky suburb.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-01-13, 16:08

Regardless of which party is in power, I simply would never trust the government with a security backdoor into our devices. The more of these attacks there are, the more the gubmint will scream for this stuff, and the "safer" we will be. They cannot be trusted with that kind of power any more than MegaCorps® or Sir Haxalot. I'm pretty sure that Apple will stand its ground, but also that this business will eventually get legislated into law and upheld by SCOTUS.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-01-27, 12:22

Even "legit" firms are stealing from you. There is absolutely no shame in this stuff. None whatsoever. I turn off almost every tracker, ad-watcher-thinger, etc. Location tracking and what not is disabled. I use ad-blockers. I refuse anti-virus of all flavors. Anything unnecessary on my devices that can spit something out—and has an off switch—is off.

And yet I still feel the eye peeking over my shoulder.

If you want privacy, you'll have to turn the electronics off. And even then, Amazon wants a drone over your house 24/7.

I've been telling customers for years that even Avast may not be trustworthy, but the service guys have always called it "legit software". Well, not any more! If you have it, you'd best dump it, and the sooner the better.

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-01-27 at 14:19.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-01-28, 15:58

And more Ring news.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-02-08, 15:12

Man, even Wacom is doing this stuff.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-01, 11:21

And Zoom is in on the fun.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-04-02, 11:06

Marriott got taken again too. Thankfully it is minimal information (they think) this time.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-03, 14:06

Man, Facebook is just evil!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-04-03, 14:20

I keep telling people that but no one seems to want to believe it. I love how they say something like "I have nothing to hide" or "everything is already out there anyway". Clearly that isn't the case and everyone has things they don't want posted publicly but putting their head in the sand makes them feel better.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-22, 13:59

And yet another data breach. This time it's Bing (i.e. Microsoft).

Durh!

Someday I suppose these knuckleheads will learn to lock their doors.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-22, 14:02

And yet another data breach. This time it's Bing (i.e. Microsoft).

Durh!

Someday I suppose these knuckleheads will learn to lock their doors.

Apparently, it was a Meow attack.

I'll leave the jokes to you guys.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-22, 14:02

Heh. That sucks. I use Bing for work all the time so I can get my Bing Rewards and free Xbox money.

Thankfully I'm tuned to suspicious emails and such but still. Oh, I also don't allow my location to Bing. At least there is that.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-22, 14:12

No big deal. They're just after your Xbox rewards.

And your credit card.

And your SS#.

And your kidneys.

And … well, so it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-22, 14:27

At least I don't use my password overland over again. Not that it looks like they got passwords... but still.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-08, 19:06

Well, we've been talking about the IoT security flaws, and it appears there are a bunch of them. Buy these things at your own risk!