Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Eufy Camera Debacle

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Eufy Camera Debacle
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-12-21, 18:27

Anybody else following the big hullabaloo with Eufy not disclosing security holes in their cameras? Camera security systems seem like a game of craps. I wish that a reliably security conscious big brand name would bring an option to the market.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-12-21, 20:47

Unifi has with Protect. Nothing on the cloud, everything IP based and stores to your home network only.

I saw stories about Eufy and just wasn't surprised. Really, it is hard in today's market to get something that is simple and easy to do that doesn't sacrifice your privacy to accomplish it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-12-22, 04:08

I'm kinda curious what happened there. Were they trying to lie, or was marketing clueless what engineering was doing?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-12-22, 06:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Unifi has with Protect. Nothing on the cloud, everything IP based and stores to your home network only.

I saw stories about Eufy and just wasn't surprised. Really, it is hard in today's market to get something that is simple and easy to do that doesn't sacrifice your privacy to accomplish it.
I can't wait to get my Unify setup rolling. It's all currently sitting in boxes in my mother in laws basement. Should be able to set up the network in the next 3-4 months.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-12-28, 15:44

I have a pair of Eufy cameras, but I use them with HomeKit and have never created a Eufy account. Seems like I'm glad I did it that way?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Frank777
Veteran Member

2023-01-31, 21:30

Anker admits that Eufy cameras were never encrypted.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-02-01, 08:42

Yeah, that kinda makes it hard to trust them much.