Need help rigging a drawing

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Need help rigging a drawing
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2005-04-27, 15:53

Hey, I need help. Next year I'm moving into a house with 5 of my good buddies. There are 6 rooms in the house and we're going to draw names on who gets what room. We're going to draw names and if you're name is first you get to choose first and so on. Soo I proposed just doing a random number generator because I want to rig the thing. This is where I need help. I have no idea how to get a random number generator that I can control the first two outcomes (my name then the name of the kid I want to have the room next to me). Does anybody have one that can do this? Or some other alternative that I can use to get the same result?

And All That Could Have Been
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-27, 16:04

Why don't you just request that you get to have a room next to that person? I don't think you're going to get much help from anyone regarding rigging a drawing.

Roll dice or something. Or have a rock-paper-scissors contest. Or just say "I forfeit my choice in favor of having my room next to X, is that okay everyone?" I'm sure people would be fine with it.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2005-04-27, 16:32

Ok missed the point. What Ir eally want is the big, good room. it'd be nice to have it next door to X, but that's not really my concern. My concern is to get the big room. I'm 6'5" 230 and I do not want to get stuck in the little piss ant of a room.

sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-04-27, 16:41

I would think that it's much more likely that you'd be able to make a generator that would control the first outcome, but not the second. You're on your own though.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-27, 16:44

If you can code in Java, C or C++ you can rig the number generator. If you don't call the randomize function, then the random number generator will spit out 'random' numbers in the same order every time. In real world terms this is called a pseudo-random number generator.

Once you see what the first few numbers are (you can run the test multiple times to see the numbers repeating every run) then you can rig the program to react to the output from the generator.

Or you could just pretend you wrote a random number generator and just have it spit out the numbers you want using a for loop or something.

Of course, if your roomates ask to see the source code you'll be found out in 2 seconds flat.
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2005-04-27, 16:50

Your mother raised you better than to cheat. Now, God will strike you down by making you draw last and getting the small, piss-ant room.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-27, 17:01

If you are the one who holds the drawing (hey guys let's use MY random number generator) and you *just happen* to get the big room, I don't think anyone's going to be suspicious. Oh wait, yeah they will. Like, REALLY suspicious.

Maybe you should work it out so whoever gets the big room has to pay a slightly larger portion of the rent. I mean, if you have less room, you should pay less than someone with more room, right? Or maybe you all pay the same amount, but the person in the big room is responsible for paying all the bills or something. Work out a way to make it fair.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2005-04-27, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
If you are the one who holds the drawing (hey guys let's use MY random number generator) and you *just happen* to get the big room, I don't think anyone's going to be suspicious. Oh wait, yeah they will. Like, REALLY suspicious.

Maybe you should work it out so whoever gets the big room has to pay a slightly larger portion of the rent. I mean, if you have less room, you should pay less than someone with more room, right? Or maybe you all pay the same amount, but the person in the big room is responsible for paying all the bills or something. Work out a way to make it fair.
FIrst off I'm the biggest one in the house so they won't "question," the generator, second I'm the only one who know what a source code is, but I stopped programing in 6th grade, thank you psycho neighbor Dave.....So if anybody wants to help me out I'm more than willing to take handouts but I understand if nobody wants to, programming sucks major horse cock.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-27, 20:59

Argento, what's your real name?

I have some time to kill.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-27, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Argento, what's your real name?

I have some time to kill.
I guess you don't mind sucking horse cock (as Argento so eloquently put it)? I mean, it'd probably be about 5 minutes or so of suck, right?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-27, 21:51

Well, it took me about 30 minutes because I had to install the Tiger dev tools and then look up the relevant method names for some classes. I've only touched few Cocoa tutorials and even that was a few years ago.

It's ready. All it needs now is Argento's real name as a hard-coded value.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-27, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argento
FIrst off I'm the biggest one in the house so they won't "question,"
Well hell, then just take the room. Problem solved.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-27, 22:11

Maybe if you're the first to move in, you'll get it.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-04-27, 22:13

it might just be easier to draw cards and rig the deck. i know that's what i'd do. or play 13 for it. i should have taught you how to cheat properly in that game well enough by now so you'd win.

probably your best bet is to play a series of games that involve drinking. you're bigger, make sure they drink more, and then you can start cheating and they'll be too drunk to notice.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-27, 22:23

I got the name from your cousin. Here it is. Feedback is always welcome.

It should work on 10.3 and 10.4.

edit: new version available father below...
Attached Files
File Type: zip RoomPicker.zip (30.6 KB, 37 views)
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-04-27, 22:25

LOL

i love the icon.

even more, i love the results it generates.
Stevuh

Send a message via AIM to Stevuh  
2005-04-27, 22:26

Drinking games *almost* Always work if your the biggest guy in the house.

**Asumes you are not a wuss when it comes to alchohol.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-04-27, 23:53

So, how do you choose the rest of the rooms?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-27, 23:57

His only real concern was to get the big room. The program selects who gets the big room. Simple as that.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-04-28, 00:23

Please tell me you're putting that up on versiontracker.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-28, 00:24

Weird program. It selects the same person many, many times in a row. If I held down the return key, it only very slowly switched between the names I entered (for the record, they were Luca, Jack, Brad, Kick, and Mur... sorry Eric).

EDIT: Hmm, it appears to be time-based. If I press the random selection button every two or three seconds, it usually gives me a different name each time. If I press it rapidly it gives me repeats for a second or maybe two before giving me another one.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-28, 00:53

Yeah, I fixed that. The random selector is MUCH better now.

New random code!
New interface!
New icon!
More rooms!

Now available in RoomPicker 2.0!!!11!1omgwtf

What do I win?
Attached Files
File Type: zip RoomPicker2.zip (43.8 KB, 36 views)

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2005-04-28, 00:58

Seems like I NEVER get the big room.......funny though thanks for the laugh Brad.....
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-28, 01:05

You did try the new version, right? I ask because you replied so soon after I posted it.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2005-04-28, 01:06

Wow
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2005-04-28, 01:10

Just did, but my mouse is now completely broken so I'm doing alot of tabbing, be back in a moment need to find a good one.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-28, 01:11

Well, you'll be happy to know, then, that the fields and process button are properly set up to allow you to cycle through with the tab key.
eventhorizon

2005-04-28, 01:44

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH. That is all.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2005-04-28, 01:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Well, you'll be happy to know, then, that the fields and process button are properly set up to allow you to cycle through with the tab key.
Hey thanks that's soooo considerate of you! . .... . . .
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-04-28, 01:57

So now rick always gets the last pick. Nice.
Edit: also, I can't seem to change the name of the first person in the list...

Last edited by Paul : 2005-04-28 at 02:07.