Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Triple travel charger for Mac users

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Triple travel charger for Mac users
Frank777
Veteran Member

2018-07-23, 01:52

I had to leave for a business trip a few weeks ago, and wondered why in the world I needed to pack three different chargers for my Apple MacBook, my Apple iPhone and Apple Watch.

Is there a technical reason why Apple or some enterprising third party hasn't come out with a travel charger that can charge all three of these? You see cell phone chargers with multiple adapters all the time. Shouldn't it be possible to start with a MacBook adapter and add in the tech and wires needed to go down the line to an iPhone and/or Watch?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-07-23, 09:48

Are we talking plugs-wise?

A modern MacBook and iPhone both support USB-C charging. You will, however, need to get an USB-C-to-Lightning cable.

For Apple Watch, oddly enough, there doesn't appear to be a cable for USB-C-to-magnetic yet.

So you will definitely need three different cables, and unfortunately with the Watch, you will also need a separate charger (or an adapter from USB-A to C).
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-07-23, 09:50

(Also, if AirPower ever ships, you'll be able to charge an iPhone and Watch wirelessly from the same pad.)
Frank777
Veteran Member

2018-07-23, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
So you will definitely need three different cables, and unfortunately with the Watch, you will also need a separate charger (or an adapter from USB-A to C).
Yeah. I understand that port transitions are commonplace, and we still working toward USB-C for everything (if Apple ever decides to give up Lightning.)

It just seems odd to me that a third party hasn't seized on this opportunity. There are third-party combo chargers for the iPhone and Watch (like Belkin's docks) and Apple is working on a charging mat as well. Maybe the complexity and reliability of a laptop charger is the sticking point. But I would have thought a laptop charging brick with a pullout cable to iPhone/iPad and an integrated induction charger on top for the Watch would have been something a third party could pull off. So far, I guess the PlugBug comes closest, although you still have to travel with the two extra USB cables.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2018-07-23, 18:04

When I travel I mainly use a higher capacity power brick for my iPhone, Apple Watch, and iPad. I can go a few days without having to charge the power brick over night.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
chucker

2018-07-25, 08:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Yeah. I understand that port transitions are commonplace, and we still working toward USB-C for everything (if Apple ever decides to give up Lightning.)

It just seems odd to me that a third party hasn't seized on this opportunity. There are third-party combo chargers for the iPhone and Watch (like Belkin's docks) and Apple is working on a charging mat as well.
Seems to me like this one would do it:

"Nekteck 4-port 72W USB Wall Charger with Type-C 60W Power Delivery"

Not enough to charge a 15-inch MacBook Pro, but it does have a USB-C port to charge other MacBooks, and three USB-A ports to charge your phone and watch…

Quote:
Maybe the complexity and reliability of a laptop charger is the sticking point.
It appears that, in practice, getting those high wattages over USB-PD has proven quite tricky. It's not quite mass-market yet.

Quote:
But I would have thought a laptop charging brick with a pullout cable to iPhone/iPad and an integrated induction charger on top for the Watch would have been something a third party could pull off.
Apple can't even pull it off yet. AirPower was announced almost eleven months ago…