Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
My bracket's now 11 of 11. Sweet.

Edit: 12 for 12. Thanks A&M!
Nice call on the K-State game.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-03-20, 21:03

Holy. Crap.

Duke better be offering up burnt chickens tonight, they won by the skin of their teeth. 6 of 21 in the 3pt range?? WTH?
Mancomb Seepgood

2008-03-20, 22:18

USC/K-State game...

What a bunch of crap.

I've never seen such a tightly called tournament game. Gibson, Jefferson, (and even goddamn Keith Wilkinson) were bombarded with ticky-tack calls the entire game. The calls even contributed to even more offensive rebounds from K-State since we were so fuckin' scared of getting physical. It was a vicious fuckin' cycle.

Hackett played with absolutely no heart. If it comes out that he threw the game for money, I honestly wouldn't even be surprised.

I have to give credit to Frank Martin, though. He did a hell of a job inserting Beasley throughout the first half keeping him out of serious foul trouble.

Basically...we got out-rebounded, out-hustled, and out-coached. I'm more angry because those three things are more fixable than any other aspect of the game.

But we still would have won if it weren't for the fucking ticky-tacks.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-03-20, 22:56

Damnit Huggins, so much for my perfect record today.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-03-20, 23:02

Am I sensing a little Huggins Hatred behind your 'zona pick?
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-03-20, 23:05

I'm not his biggest fan, but it didn't influence my pick.

I finish the day at 15 of 16, not bad at all.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-03-20, 23:09

Definitely not bad!

I am nervous about some bigger upsets picked for tomorrow, but I'm pretty happy with 14 of 16 for today.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2008-03-20, 23:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancomb Seepgood View Post
USC/K-State game...

What a bunch of crap.

I've never seen such a tightly called tournament game. Gibson, Jefferson, (and even goddamn Keith Wilkinson) were bombarded with ticky-tack calls the entire game. The calls even contributed to even more offensive rebounds from K-State since we were so fuckin' scared of getting physical. It was a vicious fuckin' cycle.

Hackett played with absolutely no heart. If it comes out that he threw the game for money, I honestly wouldn't even be surprised.

I have to give credit to Frank Martin, though. He did a hell of a job inserting Beasley throughout the first half keeping him out of serious foul trouble.

Basically...we got out-rebounded, out-hustled, and out-coached. I'm more angry because those three things are more fixable than any other aspect of the game.

But we still would have won if it weren't for the fucking ticky-tacks.
Maybe it was K-State realizing that they have more talent than any team in the nation.. and deciding to do something with it.

The refs were not the greatest, but do realize that Beasley was sitting on the bench for over 15 minutes of that game in foul trouble. USC picked up a lot more fouls because they weren't moving their feet, reaching, etc. Whether or not they deserved all the fouls could be debated but there was a lot of contact in that game.

Mayo also underwhelmed me. He had some nice shots and drained some 3s, but he turned the ball over a ton and seemed inconsistent. Maybe he was just having an off night?
Mancomb Seepgood

2008-03-20, 23:47

No, that's been Mayo the entire season. Flashes of greatness, prone to mistakes.

He's not ready to go pro yet. He has the tools, and I guarantee he will be a good/great pro someday. But he is nowhere near as seasoned as Beasley or Love at this point.

The sad part is he'll probably be a lottery pick, so there's no reason for him to stay for another year...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-03-20, 23:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Holy. Crap.

Duke better be offering up burnt chickens tonight, they won by the skin of their teeth. 6 of 21 in the 3pt range?? WTH?
Great article on Dook's late season woes. It was almost academic in nature it was so well-written and researched.

I was praying for Belmont to pull it out. So close.... I love to see Ratface lose.
colivigan
Veteran Member

2008-03-20, 23:57

Must have been a fun time in the BuonRotto household tonight.

Sadly, Cornell's final four dreams are shattered. At least they didn't lose by 40, like the last time they were in the tournament (20 years ago). All in all, a pretty good season for the Big Red.

West Virginia is my sleeper team, they really stepped it up tonight at the end.
Mancomb Seepgood

2008-03-21, 00:16

Nevermind..

EDIT: I had something good to say. But then I realized it wasn't that good...
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-03-21, 12:53

Holy shit, American tied up with Tenn there for a minute. My bracket is having heart attacks.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-03-21, 13:03

Quote:
Holy shit, American tied up with Tenn there for a minute. My bracket is having heart attacks.
It's still a close game. It's 3 points now (it was 10). This is a great game.

I'm so thankful for CBS streaming the games online. I love this!
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-03-21, 13:06

My CBS is showing Gonzaga/Davidson right now. 65-64 Gonzaga.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-03-21, 13:23

Quote:
My CBS is showing Gonzaga/Davidson right now. 65-64 Gonzaga.
I just switched over. Tenn-American is over (basically), so I switched to the next good finish.

After this, I'll watch the Butler game until I go home, then I'm dropping the tournament for the Cubs game on ESPN2.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-03-21, 13:29

Go Davidson!
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-03-21, 13:33

Damn, I picked Gonzaga in this one. My bracket takes hit #2.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-03-21, 13:33

Go Western KY!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-03-21, 13:34

PK: Yeah, this may be the only time my wife and I were rooting for opposing teams... ah well, she takes this one, but there will be revenge... oh yes, there will be revenge...
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-03-21, 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJohn View Post
Must have been a fun time in the BuonRotto household tonight.

Oops. Sorry, but I couldn't help laughing.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-03-21, 13:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
Go Western KY!
These refs apparently want very much to give this game to Drake
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-03-21, 13:50

Quote:
These refs apparently want very much to give this game to Drake
I agree. That last charge was a little iffy. OT should be entertaining, though. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of this one.

I got the Gonzaga game right, and I had Davidson winning two games. Here's hoping they pull it out...
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2008-03-21, 13:51

Live by the 3, die by the 3. Duke has lost its legs again for this tournament. When you're a tired team, you can't shoot threes. When you don't have an inside game, except to fake the inside game and dish outside, having tired legs will kill your shooting. Duke won't last far this year, again. When will Coach K realize he needs an inside presence? No one is being fooled by the high screens, drives and dishes or the flopping anymore. Yeah, when you shoot 40-50% from the outside, you'll win a lot of games. Duke was one (foolish) timeout away from leaving in the first round again. And this was supposed to be a good team this year!

Alas, Cornell didn't really stand a chance. I still quixotically picked them in my office pool though!

Alas, it wasn't *that* good a time last night in the BuonRotto home. I was at a silly formal occasion, Duke still won, and Buon's better half can't have, uh, too much fun (doctor's orders!) for another 2 weeks.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-03-21, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Great article on Dook's late season woes. It was almost academic in nature it was so well-written and researched.
Yeah, that was fantastic. My wife made a good observation - Duke doesn't play street ball, they play Street ball. Coach K plays the schedule and the media like a CEO pandering to Wall Street, setting up good numbers 'quarter' to 'quarter', but not bothering to deliver in the long term because, just like on Wall St, the analysts don't eat that up and generate hype from it. K should have been a CEO of a mortgage firm, he'd have made a killing.

Quote:
I was praying for Belmont to pull it out. So close.... I love to see Ratface lose.
How long do you think it takes each day to trim his whiskers so they don't visibly vibrate on camera?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-03-21, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
I agree. That last charge was a little iffy.
to say the least!

In the replay, you could clearly see the Drake player grabbing the jersey of the guy dribbling just before he got called for a charge.

Also, the traveling call after the inbounds play around 2 min. remaining was BS - should have either been a Drake foul, or a no-call
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-03-21, 14:09

YES!!!

Pure MADNESS!!!
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-03-21, 14:11

Quote:
YES!!!

Pure MADNESS!!!
Madness, indeed. That hurts my bracket, but that was a great finish.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-03-21, 14:17

Ouch, I slip to 17 of 20.
colivigan
Veteran Member

2008-03-21, 14:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
Alas, it wasn't *that* good a time last night in the BuonRotto home. I was at a silly formal occasion, Duke still won, and Buon's better half can't have, uh, too much fun (doctor's orders!) for another 2 weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post

Oops. Sorry, but I couldn't help laughing.
Heh. I didn't actually mean "fun" in the celebratory sense.

I was thinking more along the lines of the histrionics and hair-pulling leading up to the final result. But it sounds like you missed that.