Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Router Settings so AirPrint, AirPlay Work

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Router Settings so AirPrint, AirPlay Work
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-04-04, 08:39

At my office we have a massive, commercial wi-fi system in place. There's four routers at different points in the building to insure that you stay connected at every point. However, there is some setting missing so that my iOS devices can talk to each other through the network. AirPrinting doesn't work, AirPlay doesn't work, iTunes doesn't think the iOS devices are on the same network so wi-fi syncing doesn't work. I've read the KB articles for the different things, and the only thing that I think could be causing the issue is router firewall settings, but it just says "make sure your firewall allows communication to your iOS devices." That doesn't really help me at all. Anyone have any idea what I should be looking for, or have any experience setting this sort of thing up?

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Nogs

2012-04-04, 11:01

Haven't tested this but from a quick search

iTunes WiFi syncing ports: http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/13/wi-fi...ne-ipad-ios-5/

Quote:
Verify firewall settings and that TCP ports 123 and 3689 in addition to UDP ports 123 and 5353 are open and accessible (these are ports iTunes uses)
They also link to http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4062 which is iTunes 10.5 and later: Troubleshooting iTunes Wi-Fi Syncing

Also found http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1629 which has a list of well-known Apple TCP and UDP ports including a few entries for AirPlay.

I think AirPrint might use the CUPS ports from some searching and you may need to enable some of the bonjour stuff as well.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-04-04, 11:27

I'm not sure the docs are correct on AirPlay needing 80 and 443 (HTTP and HTTPS). I do know the 'proto-AirPlay' AirTunes uses 554 (RTSP) and 3689 (DAAP), so they're correct on that. If all else fails, enable all four posts, but try with just the latter two first.

AirPrint works through Bonjour and probably doesn't have a fixed port at all; rather, the server in question (e.g., the printer, or whichever machine is making the printer accessible through AirPrint) decides upon the port and advertises it through DNS-SD. So, we're gonna need more input on how you're doing AirPrint.
muddman

2012-06-08, 09:12

We've started deploying iPads to our upper management and we are having the same issues. This may shed some light on the problem:

Quote:
Yes, Apple has included its Bonjour protocol for printing from their tablets, but until today it hasn't been a routable one. That means if you are lucky enough to be on a network segment with a printer that supports AirPrint, you can print. If you have a large network with several routers, you are out of luck.

Today Aerohive changes that game with its Enterprise Bonjour Gateway. It is more of a bridge or a router, but basically you can purchase some hardware from them and set it up to support all kinds of Bonjour networking, including the ability to send video from your iPad across a network (AirPlay) too. Bonjour is Apple's services protocol and the way other networking hardware can easily configure themselves.
http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2...ads-across.php