Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Sony PSP: March 24th

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Sony PSP: March 24th
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Akumulator

2005-02-03, 18:26

It's official ... March 24th is the US launch day. If you're one of the 1st million to get the $250 value pack, you get a free Spiderman 2 movie. How many of you are planning on getting it? I'm trying to find a good place to preorder, but GameStop and EBGames are only offering bundles that start at $400.

Anyone know of a place to preorder just the $250 value pack?
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2005-02-04, 02:27

i am waiting for amazon to put it online so i can preorder from them.
mama's left eye

2005-02-04, 06:15

I'm waiting to make sure they have all of the bugs fixed.

I'm not a fan of the psp or sony in general, but if they have enough decent rpg exclusives, I might pick one up. The ps2 has left a really bad taste in my mouth.

It is better to be judged by twelve than to be carried by six.
Mass Appeal

2005-02-04, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumulator
It's official ... March 24th is the US launch day. If you're one of the 1st million to get the $250 value pack, you get a free Spiderman 2 movie. How many of you are planning on getting it? I'm trying to find a good place to preorder, but GameStop and EBGames are only offering bundles that start at $400.

Anyone know of a place to preorder just the $250 value pack?
EB'S website is selling the $400-$550 bundle which when broken down to it's components cost exactly the same seperately. EB retail outlets are also selling Sony's $250 bundle and all launch games and excessories.

I pre-ordered mine a few weeks ago from EB but I'm freindly with the manager and staff and was told I could return it for a full refund if I get stuck with dead pixels or any of the other supposed malfunctions that the Japanese launch had. I'd suggest to pre-order with a local shop that you trust just in case Sony pulls a Sony and tries to stick you with a defective unit.

BTW, which launch games are you planning on getting. I'm picking up Lumines when I first get the system and Coded Arms which is scheduled to come out a few days later.
Akumulator

2005-02-04, 19:54

I'm getting Dark Stalkers, GTA, Ridge Racer... I don't know what else yet.
Mass Appeal

2005-03-24, 13:49

I picked up my order at seven this morning and am pleased to find no dead pixels.

The screen is absolutly beautiful. After gaming on a GBA SP and a little time on a friend's DS the brightness and resolution for just blew me away. There is a slight ghosting effect like with any LCD but nothing out of the ordinary. I got the free Spiderman 2 disc and watched it for a few minutes. While it dosen't change my mind in thinking that UMD movies will be a major flop for Sony, I have decided to buy a gig memmory stick and convert some movie files.

The unit feels solid in my hands but I have been using the packaged wrist strap because I doubt it would survive an impact with hardwood floors. If treated like any other expensive gadget I don't foresee many build problems save for the UMD door. After using my PB's slot loading drive for the past year I can't seem to trust tray loading.

Bought Lumines, Ridge Racers, and Dynasty Warriors. Lumines is definitely the stand out of the bunch. I would highly recommend this to anyone purchasing the PSP, it's like Tetris on E.

If anyone has any questions just ask.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-24, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Appeal
The unit feels solid in my hands but I have been using the packaged wrist strap because I doubt it would survive an impact with hardwood floors.
Really? I guess they don't expect to sell a lot to children. Or maybe they expect to sell twice as many in replacements.

My original Gameboy took a lot of good whacks on hardwood, linoleum, concrete, you name it. I sold it years later still in perfect operating condition.

Granted, I haven't used the new fangled Gameboys either; so, I don't know how well they'd fare with children.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
abraham

2005-03-24, 15:02

Nintendo DS!! I am sorry to say, but I think Nintendo can make any game fun and addicting. The only reasons to buy the PSP will probably be the Final Fantasy 7 games, Metal Gear Solid Acid, and Grand Theft Auto. I also heard that the PS3 might be backwards compatible with PS2 games AND PSP games. I am not a graphics nut, I like good games... so NINTENDO!!

Radiohead!!!
Zodiac
Shiny, Musky, Fleshy Member

2005-03-24, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraham
Nintendo DS!! I am sorry to say, but I think Nintendo can make any game fun and addicting. The only reasons to buy the PSP will probably be the Final Fantasy 7 games, Metal Gear Solid Acid, and Grand Theft Auto. I also heard that the PS3 might be backwards compatible with PS2 games AND PSP games. I am not a graphics nut, I like good games... so NINTENDO!!
The majority of Nintendos games are too kiddie like for me.
abraham

2005-03-24, 17:08

I am a Zelda freak... and a big supporter of original games. Nintendo seems to be the only company living up to my standards.
Mass Appeal

2005-03-24, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Really? I guess they don't expect to sell a lot to children. Or maybe they expect to sell twice as many in replacements.
I don't think Sony made the device with children in mind. They seem to be trying to expand the portable market beyond what Nintendo has created. Everyone in the store this morning, with the exception of one father/son pair, were late teens early 20s.
abraham

2005-03-24, 17:13

my friend got a PSP from Japan about two weeks ago... he is an uber-nut about anything metal gear solid...but... he seems really pleased... (yet again, I don't think people are going to be dissapointed)

Radiohead!!!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-03-24, 18:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad

My original Gameboy took a lot of good whacks on hardwood, linoleum, concrete, you name it. I sold it years later still in perfect operating condition.

Granted, I haven't used the new fangled Gameboys either; so, I don't know how well they'd fare with children.
Oh, the GBA SP feels just as sturdy as the original. Okay, maybe not QUITE as durable as the old gray tank... but it's still pretty strong. The hinge can obviously break, and that's probably the weakest point, but on the plus side it means the screen is protected whenever you're not using it. I had no qualms throwing my GBA around carelessly. Never did a damn thing to it.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-03-24, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac
The majority of Nintendos games are too kiddie like for me.
I am so sick of this argument. Honestly, what the fuck is the point of playing a video game if it's not to be entertained?! Who the hell cares whether the characters bleed orange juice or real blood, if the game is fun, the game is fun.

Last edited by Wrao : 2005-03-24 at 18:39.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-03-24, 18:36

$250 is pretty steep for a portable gaming system.

I don't think that is very good for sony in terms of taking on the DS. It might be a better system, it might have infinite more capabilities, but at $100 more than the DS, it's going to be a hard sell re: kids that want one and their parents shelling out the money for it.

*shrug* maybe not though, they will probably be selling out all over the place right now, simply because of the hype, and the price will most likely drop soon enough.

I'm not really interested in either system personally, but I did play mario DS the other day, and it was FUN! that game(mario 64) ruled
Mass Appeal

2005-03-24, 19:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
I am so sick of this argument. Honestly, what the fuck is the point of playing a video game if it's not to be entertained?! Who the hell cares whether the characters bleed orange juice or real blood, if the game is fun, the game is fun.
Hear Hear. Nintendo should be commended for putting out a line up of games that appeal to children and adults alike. I would have gone with DS over PSP but it has a serious lack of games, kiddy or otherwise. I won't snag the DS till it drops to $100 and Nintendo releases Advance Wars DS.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-03-24, 19:16

Heh, I personally don't really care about either system. Portable gaming doesn't really interest me all that much, heck regular gaming doesn't really interest me all that much. Personally I think that $150 is absurd for a portable gaming system, anything above that is just dumb, but people will buy it regardless.

I don't see the appeal in 'high end' portable game systems I guess. The GBA was pretty awesome, especially the SP, because the games were simple, 2d and fun and easy to jump into. I could never play a game like GTA or final fantasy while sitting in the back of a car or on a plane. I'm really surprised that hte DS and the PSP even exist at all, but I guess they will sell...
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2005-03-24, 19:40

Quote:
I don't like the argument either, but in your own words, the OP was clearly not being entertained by Nintendo's games. That may be because the characters bleed orange juice, although, that might be pretty cool.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
HHogan

Send a message via AIM to HHogan  
2005-03-24, 20:14

Today was kind to me, got a copy of "The Cult of Mac" delivered, and my PSP arrived.

abraham

2005-03-24, 20:53

Quote:
I don't see the appeal in 'high end' portable game systems I guess. The GBA was pretty awesome, especially the SP, because the games were simple, 2d and fun and easy to jump into. I could never play a game like GTA or final fantasy while sitting in the back of a car or on a plane. I'm really surprised that hte DS and the PSP even exist at all, but I guess they will sell...
My favorite system of all time was the Super Nintendo... That is why I agree on all counts here.
"Link to the Past on a gameboy"... I could hear myself think when I heard the GameboyAdvance coming out.

Radiohead!!!
Zodiac

2005-03-25, 12:18

Quote:

Well sorry, I have a different taste then you, I don't find kiddieish games fun, you do.

Is that my problem? NO!
Wrao
Yarp

2005-03-25, 13:28

No, I like the games that I like, kiddish or not. You're the one that makes the stupid exclusion to not accept any game that is kiddish, simply because it's kiddish. Which, if that's not that case, you could easily clarify.
Kyros

2005-03-25, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHogan
Today was kind to me, got a copy of "The Cult of Mac" delivered, and my PSP arrived.

pic
It looks so ugly .

I'm waiting for either a price drop or until Castlevania comes out for the DS (Castlevania is such a kiddy game )
abraham

2005-03-25, 15:34

I am waiting for Ocarnia of Time for DS... or a new Zelda adventure :shock:
Zodiac

2005-03-25, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyros
It looks so ugly .

I'm waiting for either a price drop or until Castlevania comes out for the DS (Castlevania is such a kiddy game )

Never said it was.
Mass Appeal

2005-03-25, 17:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyros
Actually the normal lead art designer for Castlevania has been dropped do to too many obligations and the new look is a lot less gothic with brighter colors intended to appeal to the younger DS market. Though it still looks like it will kick ass.
Zodiac

2005-03-25, 17:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Appeal
Actually the normal lead art designer for Castlevania has been dropped do to too many obligations and the new look is a lot less gothic with brighter colors intended to appeal to the younger DS market. Though it still looks like it will kick ass.

Yeah, I think it started to look less dark (And awesome) right after Symphony of the Night came out a little over 7 years ago.

I love Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Founder of the Applenova Folding Team
Mass Appeal

2005-03-25, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac
Yeah, I think it started to look less dark (And awesome) right after Symphony of the Night came out a little over 7 years ago.

I love Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
I enjoyed all the GBA releases; they continued in the SotN tradition only on a smaller scale.
Bones3D

2005-03-25, 19:34

I have a DS and already looking at picking up a PSP. The current drought of games in the DS market is going to be a major deciding factor between the two units for most people.

At the moment, my DS has been little more than an alarm clock that just happens to play games too. That's not to say I've lost interest in the DS itself, but until more games become readily available, I'm not doing a whole lot with it.

8==8 Bones 8==8
Milkman

Send a message via ICQ to Milkman Send a message via AIM to Milkman  
2005-03-29, 18:21

For those of you that do have a PSP and the Wipeout game and are tired of waiting for Sony to issue a web browser, check this out

I haven't tried this out yet myself as I don't own the game, but I am tempted to buy it to try this out.

I am very pleased with the PSP so far. The screen is beautiful (and very bright) and like Mass Appeal, I still haven't changed my mind about movies on the UMD format. I'm not very fond of the built-in speakers, but the ear buds that came with it sound very good. The "remote" control works nice but feels very flimsy.

Bah weep gra na weep ninni bong